Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #46
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I just want to add that pedal bike technology has always been LIGHT YEARS ahead of engine bike technology, specifically the use of materials, weight savings, suspension design and pretty much all things related to geometry and frame performance...

so saying something like 10 old front fork mountain bike technology is outdated is like sying you are 10 years ahead of your time motorcycle wise...

if put into production this type of bike will be a complete success for those that know and want something klike this for years...

just an example

hondas xr650r forks famous for being the best conventionals were pretty much updated kawasaki (forget the model, I think kx500)forks...oooooooooooooooooooooooooold

how many motorcyles you see today have carbon fiber frames? especially dirt bikes, floating rear suspension tech(old now) electric gear changers(deraileurs) etc...etc...

put this into a motorcycle takes decades to do...the day youll see a dirtbike with push button gears etc...will be a long time coming...yet road race pedal bikes have this NOW!

cheers dudes and kudos for the awesome prototype.

christian
You must not be in touch with modern motocross, Pound per pound , the most advanced motorcycles built.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #47
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,263
Spoil sport!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #48
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matified View Post
You must not be in touch with modern motocross, Pound per pound , the most advanced motorcycles built.
Yes, to some extent...

still not as advanced as pedal bike tech...or price...you can buy the best motocross bike out there for $15k(plus mods etc...)

have you ever seen what tour de france bikes cost? sans ENGINE I might add, or top of the line downhill bikes? I had a friend who raced downhill bikes, he was sponsored, he had 15k in his main bike alone...the suspension tech and frame characteristics and design are MIND boggling

My mind doesnt get boggled at all watching a modern motocrosser other than the tricks they can perform...

on the other hand give me an italian exotic, and that DOES boggle my mind...materials, frame design, engine build and quality etc...

there is just no comparison

anyways

my point was not to hijack this thread but support the idea...and concept of an ultralightweight adventure bike.
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Yes, to some extent...

still not as advanced as pedal bike tech...or price...you can buy the best motocross bike out there for $15

have you ever seen what tour de france bikes cost? sans ENGINE I might add

there is just no comparison

anyways

my point was not to hijack this thread but support the idea...and concept of an ultralightweight adventure bike.
Tour de france bikes are pro built bikes, the top AMA pros rear wheel and axle is $15,000, the entire bike will set you back $250,000 .More tech and high tech materials in his engine and components that an entire pedal bike.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #50
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

horses for courses...

show me an electronically controlled shifter on a motocrosser, sensored suspension etc...I dont know we each have views on this...

in my opinion PRODUCTION pedal bikes vs. PRODUCTION motorcycles there is no comparison...I guess if you say top motocrosser vs TOP pedal bikes then yeah...you are forgetting however that pedal bikes have no ENGINE! where most of the goods go towards

anywhoo

peace
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #51
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Tour de france bikes are pro built bikes, the top AMA pros rear wheel and axle is $15,000, the entire bike will set you back $250,000 .More tech and high tech materials in his engine and components that an entire pedal bike.
yeh and how much for the drugs. lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #52
pterry
Desert rider

Oddometer: 587
Oh?

Quote:
I just want to add that pedal bike technology has always been LIGHT YEARS ahead of engine bike technology, specifically the use of materials, weight savings, suspension design and pretty much all things related to geometry and frame performance...

so saying something like 10 old front fork mountain bike technology is outdated is like sying you are 10 years ahead of your time motorcycle wise...

if put into production this type of bike will be a complete success for those that know and want something klike this for years...

just an example

hondas xr650r forks famous for being the best conventionals were pretty much updated kawasaki (forget the model, I think kx500)forks...oooooooooooooooooooooooooold

how many motorcyles you see today have carbon fiber frames? especially dirt bikes, floating rear suspension tech(old now) electric gear changers(deraileurs) etc...etc...

put this into a motorcycle takes decades to do...the day youll see a dirtbike with push button gears etc...will be a long time coming...yet road race pedal bikes have this NOW!

cheers dudes and kudos for the awesome prototype.

christian
Rekluse....
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #53
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

yes? rekluse what?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
pterry
Desert rider

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
yes? rekluse what?
Basically push button shifting...except with your foot. Which I would prefer anyways.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #55
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

yeah I know rekluse and revloc and all that jazz...its great...still

its not as TECHY, jajaja

anyways...

sorry for the hijack not my intent...

cheers dudes

more pics of the bike please!

also there have been clutchless or AUTOSHIFTING motorcycles forever...that doesnt make them modern or new tech...again just sayin
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #56
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

I didn't want to say anything ... didn't want to hurt the bicycle guys feelings. Its funny the one guy saying bicycle guys led the way with suspension I think he missed his Mountain bike history lesson.

I guess he doesn't know that ALL the early mountain bike suspension companies tried to copy directly from Moto cross suspension ... Mountain bikes got suspension ... when? Mid 80's? Later? They are still in their adolescence relatively speaking.

Companies like Showa, Kayaba, Ohlins and White Power have been at this since 1970 or earlier. All are HUGE, multi billion dollar companies who've spent millions on R & D and racing. The Mountain bike companies can't even come close. They copy best they can.

Talk to mountain bike pioneers; guys like Joe Breeze, Gary Fischer and Mert Lawwill ... all started right here in my neighborhood here in Marin County. They struggled for years with suspension. Lawwill is famous from On Any Sunday ... but his swingarm/suspension designs never really caught on based on what I see today. Mert's making robotic hands now ... doing well with govt. contracts.

Early Mountain bike forks and shocks were a cruel joke. Took them at least ten years to get something close to good. And how long did the Moto guys have to tell them to ditch those stupid flat handle bars? Now ... most have a high rise bar. Moto guys figured that out in 1968.

Moto bikes don't use Carbon Fiber frames because it's:
expensive
Breaks under severe hammering
Is of minimal advantage on a bike with a motor.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

damn guys tough crowd...

who mentioned anything about when MOUNTAIN BIKING STARTED?

Ive read all the books, all the origins, I raced mountainbikes, then switched to road bikes...amateur thats all...Im not offended or butthurt I just cant understand why anyone takes all this stuff so damn seriously...

look at any suspension on any top level production pedal bike and compare that to any production motorcycle bike...

equal to equal and its JUST NOT...

geeze man, why is everything out of context...?????

Im talking NOW.

yes carbon fiber is expensice yet most all mid to top level production pedal bikes use it! I agree on the stresses imposed on it too...

Im a sailior too and have seen many a new fandangled(carbon or other) mast break from beding the WRONG way...

enough

later crowd...

lets do more riding and less blabbing

im out
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #58
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 94
Like most things both have evolved the direction and magnatude as needed by demand, being human powered is a dramatic difference, even though a bicycle and motorcycle look fairly similar, that one little difference is huge. Comfort is much more of a concern on most motorcycles than weight alone, most wouldnt notice 2lbs, so while weight is still important to motorcycles it is almost the entire game on anything human powered. From what I have seen both are pretty amazing at the production level and top racing level, and I would suspect that automobiles were experimenting with disc brakes when bicycles still used bendix? Anyway they are apples and oranges just like a cheetah and elephant (both 4 legs, but which is more advanced).
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #59
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
There are so many stupid and uneducated/incorrect/assumptions posted in this thread. I don't like it.

I DO love what this bike is trying to accomplish. I would like to have one, and can't wait until they are available. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the guys that would buy one.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #60
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
I would go for one of these bikes. Easy to haul around and easy to ride. Not bad. I know a lot of places I would ride this creation. There were some places I turned back on my 690 because it was way too heavy. A 300 would rail that stuff but this thing would be even more fun! Talk about a massive hooligan machine!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote