Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #61
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,140
I know some people worry about slipping the clutch for fear they'll burn it out, but I don't think you need to worry too much about abusing the clutch on your Honda because it has a "wet" clutch (i.e. bathed in oil), right? I keep this in mind on my BMWs because they have a dry clutch like a car. Even so, that's what they're built for and slipping it some to accomplish low-speed maneuvers will not hurt them. My wife has a little Suzuki TU250X with a wet clutch and it has never once faded or slipped as she has learned to ride it. You may have seen a TU when you took your MSF course, they're sweet little bikes that are low enough that even small people like my wife can get both feet on the ground. And, like your Honda dualsport, they are TOUGH and built to stand a lot of abuse (aka "learning" ). I hate to think of all the abuse I've visited on my DS bikes over the years, and I have never once had a clutch failure. Many, many operator errors but no clutch issues.

I'm reading between the lines and note that your wife seems to be supportive of your new interest - VERY cool! Good for you both! You may have to start saving $$$ toward getting her a bike...

Ride, ride, ride!

Doug
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #62
XStatic450
ouch

Oddometer: 21
Your ride report made me smile thinking back to when I started riding. Just keep riding and it all comes together!!!
XStatic450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #63
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,242
Read your ride report. I like it so much, I had my wife read it this morning since shes a fairly new rider. She also enjoyed it. Seems liks you were definitely doing things the right way. Made me jealous as I wish I still had those feelings. Enjoy it while your young! Its still fun when you are old, but more fun when you are young.
BroncoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #64
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
I wondered about the clutch wear. The instructors said they were different from car clutches, but they didn't explain why. That's good to know. Thanks for the explanation Doug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I'm reading between the lines and note that your wife seems to be supportive of your new interest - VERY cool! Good for you both! You may have to start saving $$$ toward getting her a bike...
Indeed. I wouldn't say she's happy about motorcycling, but she listens to my stories and is at least happy I found something I enjoy. Her grandpa had a bad motorcycle accident, so she's not interested in learning. We ride bicycles often though (we just got back from a ride actually!)

Glad you liked it XStatic and BroncoDave!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #65
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 220
Casey

FYI...
The Flint Hills Stampede is coming up in June. It is a really nice event. It is in Eureka, KS again this year. They have several scenic rides which are slower paced.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #66
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,447
dooder... if 'yer gonna learn to ride in dirt, you gotta learn to stand up!.... i ain't no pro, but here in fla. there's nothing but soft sand, and the first time i did it, cause' i wasn't/didn't know how to stand, it was pretty much impossible.... if 'yer runnin' along at a good pace on one of those dirt roads, and it turns to soft sand, and you don't stand up, it's not gonna be pretty....... no two ways about it.... it ain't really hard, try it in a parking lot or field real slow, it'll teach you alot... i'm sure you stand on your mtn. bike....

and if you're gonna go outta your comfort zone, you really oughta find a buddy that's like you or a little better..... gettin' busted up is always a problem if you're alone....

i ain't trying to scare you, i'm a FNG too.... just went to a shane watts class a couple of weeks ago, and got my arse kicked totally.... but that's how you learn.... watch this, it's long, and pretty f'n crazy, but check out the slow speed drills he does, it's really the best stuff to do to learn balance, which is what it's all about..... the hard enduro stuff is pretty crazy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBv9vdth4vc
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #67
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

He's been riding for just over two weeks, you animals! Give the guy a chance!

Doug
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #68
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

No problems Doug - I know I gotta take some leaps eventually, so hearing some techniques is welcome.

You're right Dave that I do all of these things on my bicycle, and it all makes sense in my head. The feel is completely different on this bike though, so it feels like relearning everything - and of course the penalty is much higher if I screw it up. My mind is still so bogged down with coordinating hands and feet while paying attention to what's in front of me that I'm still not comfortable with adding more factors. I'm the slow and cautious type that likes to plan everything. Sometimes that can be detrimental, but I get there eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy
FYI...
The Flint Hills Stampede is coming up in June. It is a really nice event. It is in Eureka, KS again this year. They have several scenic rides which are slower paced.
I am very anxious to make this ride. I have joined their forum and am keeping up on its progress.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #69
davesupreme
grand poobah

yo, it's all good, boss........ i'm a FNG when it comes to the dirtbike thing, just started.... done a bunch of road miles, though, and the 4 levels of the ca. superbike school, along w/some track time, but.... the dirt thing ain't nothing like sportbikes, and i gotta say, it's pretty much kicking my arse..... i'm hopin' the guy has a f'n great time.... but nice guy or not, you hit that soft sand stuff goin' 40 sittin' down, and life's gonna get real interesting, real quick..... don't ask me how i know....
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #70
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

I have spent the vast majority of my life working and playing out of doors with my three main passions being skiing, bicycling, and motorcycling (not necessarily in that order, and it changes depending on season/circumstances $$$). I cannot tell you how many times I've biffed a motorcycle, cartwheeled down a hill on a bicycle, or blasted off into oblivion on skis. I've torn myself up, had some very lucky close calls, and enjoyed many, many fine relaxing rides without drama or pain. As davesupreme says, it's all good and I wouldn't change any of it even if I could (well, maybe the convalescence part...). It's very cool to see you adding another skill to your set, and I think you are absolutely correct in taking it slowly and thoughtfully. The bottom line, however, is that you have stepped out of your comfort zone and are trying something completely new that can be very dangerous (and consequently has a high adrenaline/fun factor). If done carefully and thoughtfully you can minimize the negative consequences and enjoy this sport for the rest of your life. You're building skills every time you ride; just think about where you were only a month ago!

Doug
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #71
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

Well said Doug. Thanks for the support.
I stood up for the first time today (makes me sound like a newborn )

Also, got my handguards on:

Casey. screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 06:45 PM Reason: handguards
Casey. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #72
davesupreme
grand poobah

yeah, bro.... it ain't no thang!.... lookin' sweet!....
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #73
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Nice writeup, I really enjoyed it! I'm a very cautious person as well, after getting diagnosed with cancer at 22, I said "what the heck!" I wanna learn to ride! I still get butterflys almost everytime I saddle up (2 years later)...but I love it, and I love my wife for supporting me in it.

Keep us updated! :)
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #74
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Casey, see you got the handguards on your bike, I guess everything worked out ok for you. Wanted to tell you that RM ATV & M/C does sell the Tusk Spoilers for those handguards for $9.95. They just fit over the plastic on the handguards that you have on your bike, no need to remove anything, just the screws and install. They are larger and give better wind protection in the winter, I do use them at times, but it was 80 degrees in Ft. Worth on Thursday, I know that sucks.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #75
RatchRacing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Nice write up and photos. The new Honda looks great. If I had the coin I'd have one for my dual sport bike but I'm going to be rocking the (cheap) old XL250 soon. Be sure to give us a long term review once you've got a bunch of miles on the bike. Keep it up!