ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
flynner OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Saskatchewan - Nova Scotia through the US

I'm starting a trip from Saskatchewan to Nova Scotia through parts of Canada and the US next weekend and I'm looking for some advice on places I need to see and roads I need to ride.

My route so far is to go Saskatchewan - Manitoba - Minnesota. Then I'll go between Lakes Michigan and Superior to Ontario again. I'll be crossing into New York near Kingston and then riding through Vermont or New Hampshire to Maine then New Brunswick and finally Nova Scotia. I'm still working out some details of the route but I'll have a google map of it up within the week.

I'm doing this on a bit of a shoestring budget but I'd like to see as many interesting places along the way as I can so if you know of any great roads along the way or things I just have to see I'd really appreciate it.

I'll also be updating this as much as I can and taking pictures along the way so hopefully I can turn it into a good ride report.

Thanks and ride safe
flynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Well make sure you hit a nice pass through the green mts of vt (17?) and a nice pass through the white mts of nh (302 or 112?) And if you're brave, ride up mt Washington;). good luck and have fun!!

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 771
up state New York Saranac Lake /Lake Placid.

just head east from Watertown NY over to VT south of Lake Champlain,
then Take Route 100 in VT north until you want to head east again
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,188
TET trail will get you across top of NH, Maine and part of VT

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508552
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
flynner OP
n00b

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to try to get some of those on the route.

Well I've started my trip now and I finished the first day yesterday. I was up at 4 and a friend and I drove into Winnipeg. The trip there was fairly uneventful apart from being pretty cold because it was really foggy. I should've enjoyed it while it lasted.

After crossing the border at Pembina and picking up a few goodies from Revzilla the temperature soared into the mid nineties. And it was windy. Having only ridden for 5 months now I've never ridden in temperatures that hot. It was also really windy. Windy enough that I think I've started squaring off the back tire on its edge.

So I bombed through North Dakota to Grand Forks. Maybe it was just a Saturday but I've never seen so many bikers anywhere in Canada. I was clearly not from here because I was the only person wearing a leather jacket, jeans and a helmet. I've never been somewhere where a helmet was optional and only about 2% of bikers here wear them. And exclusively open-face. Amazing.

I stopped for the night in Fosston MN at a Super 8. I was planning on camping but the chain on the bike needed replacing and I just couldnt face camping after a 700km or so day and changing a chain. Big thanks to the Super 8 staff who were very understanding of my tools and stuff strewn all over their parking lot.

Tomorrow I'm headed into Michigan. I'm going to get a camera on the way so I can start taking pictures.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
flynner OP
n00b

The route so far.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...81174,0.896759

Here's a link of the route. I haven't yet updated parts of the ride through NY VT and MN but I have updated where I've been. In sudbury right now.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,188
if you need a place to stay near Bangor, Me. send a PM
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote