ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,064
Visiting Hershey area-Looking for recommendations

I am taking the family for a week to the Hershey area for a little getaway. We have researched Hershey Park, Chocolate World, Hershey Story, Zoo America, Amish country visit, Strasburg Railroad, a day at Gettysburg, maybe a morning at Harley-Davidson in York (unfortunately, kids can't take HD tour) are there any other highly recommended or "must see" attractions that my wife and I with a 11 year old girl and a 8 year old boy would enjoy?
Thank you in advance!
Eddy
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Doug Just Doug
Silly Party Candidate

Oddometer: 536
This antique car/bike museum is pretty cool. There is also a train museum across the street from the Strasburg RR, and the national toy train museum close to the RR.

My stupid little website:Tilted Horizons
Doug Just Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Bikehigh
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 3,590
A trip to the national aquarium in Baltimore would make a good day trip. Maybe catch an Orioles game while down there.
Bikehigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Chocolate world isn't going to take long to do. Zoo America is in Hershey Park so Hershey Park, Zoo America and Chocolate World will probably be a day. I can't remember what the age range is for rides but Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster is a kids oriented amusement park. I haven't been to Strasburg since I was a kid but I would probably still enjoy the museum. If your wife is a shopper there is shopping outlets at Hershey and across from Dutch Wonderland as well as Park City Shopping Center.

Here is a link to the Lancaster Visitor's Center webpage.
http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

If your coming when it's warmer you may enjoy this too.
http://chiquesrockoutfitters.com/
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,699
+1 on the antique motors museum, it's just around the corner from Hershey Park, on Rte 39- not certain it's all that interesting for the wife and daughter, tho you and your son would no doubt find it fun. They have featured exhibitions and have more cars than bikes as a normal matter of course- tho they sometimes have larger, motorcycle specific exhibits.

Also near the park are the (as mentioned) Hershey outlet stores- with Troegs Brewery conveniently next door...

http://www.troegs.com

Up on the hill above the park at Hotel Hershey are Hershey Gardens and the Butterfly House...
http://www.hersheygardens.org/attrac...utterfly-house

And yes, +1 also on the the Strasburg Railroad museum. I think they even have train rides available?

On a sort of similar note, there's the old-timey Millersburg Ferry which crosses the Susquehanna River between Millersburg (doh!) and a campground on Rte 11/15@ PA. rte 34- it's an actual paddle-wheel driven ferry! Pretty cool, a great way to see the grand old river, and it's only a few bucks. Never done it in a car but a MC rider and passenger is like 6.00. If you're on one side of the river, and the ferry on the other side, you flip a white-painted door around (the one at the campground is nailed to a tree!) to let them know you need them to come get you!

Come to think of it, you could go to a Harrisburg Senators baseball game and ride the Pride Of The Susquehanna riverboat up and down the river off City Island, after your tour of the Capitol. (See below)

If you're driving up or down the river north of Harrisburg, look for a semi-famous local landmark- Lady Liberty Of The Susquehanna, a mock-up of the Statue of Liberty. She resides on an old bridge piling in the Dauphin Narrows section of the river, just a few miles north of the Capitol City, and can be seen from either US 322 on the east side, or US 11/15 on the west side.

Gettysburg is OK, if you're into that whole Civil War thing. Their new-ish visitor center has the refurbished diarama depicting the war, but not a whole lot more, besides some displays and a gift shop. if I were really trying to get the most out of an actual battlefield tour, I'd probably hire a guide to ride with me in my own vehicle. Gettysburg is really a huge tourist draw, tho, with "ghost walks", and all manner of stuff. An easy drive of maybe an hour from Hershey.

It's always worth a stop at the PA State Capitol right down the road from Hershey in Harrisburg. They have free tours, but some tour guides are better than others. PA's Capitol building is vast and interesting.

You might look at the schedule of the Hershey Theater to see if there are any kids' shows, or anything else of family interest coming during your stay in the area... Or maybe catch a concert at Hersheypark Stadium.

The Lancaster County Amish Tour thing is a bit contrived- I say that as a local- we are used to seeing Amish folks out and about the countryside in PA... So the idea of going to "see" an Amish "attraction" or whatever seems absurd. BUT if you aren't from someplace where Amish people live and abide, then I suppose it is a novelty of some interest... Driving down Rte 30 past Lancaster to Strasburg, where the Railroad museum is, it's entirely likely that you'll see Amish buggies in among the tractor trailers and tourist busses, however. There are many Amish farms out around that area, so it's almost a guarantee to see some buggies on the roadways out there.

And that's about it, unless you wanna drive down to Carlisle's Hamilton Restaurant for some Hot-Chee Dogs! (Cash only- Central PA's best hot dogs with white American cheese, chili sauce, onions, and mustard) Carlisle is the Antiques Capitol of the.... Well, MAYBE the whole world, as far as I can tell, so there's that as well.

I mean, hey- the choices are somewhat limited- it IS Central PA after all, and not some big city!

Have fun tho, and enjoy your trip.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 07:44 PM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Wow, sincere thanks for the strong intel!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Wow, sincere thanks for the strong intel!
NP. Hope you have a nice time.

Hey the free Harley tour is worth the time, too bad the kids can't get in! I guess they have to be no younger than 18? I had some friends in from England a couple years back, and I took em down there. They rode another buddy's old BSA and I was on my Norton- we leaked oil all over their nice clean motorcycle parking lot!

It is absolutely worth the cost of admission!

Cheers, man.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,116
Oh, I see, Hershey PA, got it.

I thought this thread was gonna get booted down to JM, wanted to be in before the move. But this is cool too. Enjoy your trip.

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Had a wonderful time

Thanks for the advice. We returned last night from a wonderful trip to the Hershey area. We had a great time at Hershey Park, Chocolate World, the AACA Car museum (coincidentally, they have a great Indian motorcycle exhibit going on right now!) and Zoo America. We took a trip to Amish country and took the VIP Amish tour by Amish Experience (highly recommended) http://amishexperience.com/vip-tour/
We also visited Strasburg Railroad. The kids really liked that a lot. On Tuesday, we knew that it was going to rain ALL day so I took the 2 hour Harley Davidson factory tour. It was very interesting. Nobody can do paint and chrome like Harley.
On the way home we stopped at the Air and Space museum at Dulles airport. They have a SR-71, the Enola Gay, a space shuttle and many more fascinating aircraft. While there, we watched a IMAX film about fighter pilots too.

Thank you again.
Happy Easter