ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Toto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Standardsville VA Good for biking?

Hi Lads\Lasses

The wife and I are considering renting a cabin in the Standardsville Va area.
Is there good biking roads in the area?
How far is the Blueridge Skyway...or do we even need to go there?
Like twisty paved backroads and such.
Riding CBF1000...same sort of ride as big Bandit.
Thanx for help...
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
33 to Seneca Rocks Area

I'd have to ride 33 out to the Seneca Rocks area. I'm usually south of Charlottesville when I'm in the mountains there, though. There are lots of ADVers in the north VA area...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Suggestion for Post relocation

You might want to move this to the regional forum for more feedback. This is where ride reports are normally found...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,143
When you get to Stanardsville you will be only a couple of miles from Skyline Drive. Don't know how long you're staying but I bet you'll run out of time before you run out of twisty roads.

When you get closer to your arrival date give us a shout here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402683 and we can hook you up with some nice rides.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,620
^^ This guy knows what he is talking about. That being said I did some work in Elkton this summer. On rainy days when I could not work I loved riding over the mountain on 33 and then just taking whatever road came along. Dyke road is mellow and last forever it seems. The Crozet area is freakin BEAUTIFUL! Long story short, you can't go wrong in that area. I'd try to contact inmate OLDNOGPS as Im pretty sure he has some tracks he could send you ahead of time and could direct you around the dirt roads. Even the dirt roads are managable as long as its dry most times. Like I said you just cant go wrong!!
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,762
Tons of great roads in that area! Stanardsville is technically in Greene county, but it's right on the border with Madison county (that's where I grew up). While Skyline drive & the Parkway are nice, speed limit (especially on the Skyline) gets a bit annoying after a while (especially given the bike you'll be riding). There are tons of other roads to check out in that area. I'll browse through my riding memory and post up shortly with some good suggestions.

What time of the year are you planning on doing this?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?

XC Rider screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:51 AM
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,762
Alright, here's a list of some good roads leading out from Stanardsville or nearby:

- Dyke road, Rt. 810
- Fredericksburg road, Rt 609
- Madison road, Hwy 230
- Thrift road/Ruth road, Rt 657/Rt658 (near Madison)
- Amicus road, Rt. 633

I could keep on going, but you really can't go wrong with any turn you take on any of these little roads.

Depending on when you'll be down this way, I may be able to join you and personally run you around some of these roads & others. Just give me a shout.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I'd try to contact inmate OLDNOGPS as Im pretty sure he has some tracks

Hey hack, don't fall into the pit I did recently...

Study that quoted sentence closely...like I forgot to one day last week.

You may be thinking of another inmate, hppyfngy?

Either way, contacting the folks on the thread H14 linked to or these folks...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388596

when the trip date gets near will get you more ideas than you can shake a stick at. Maybe even a tour guide or two.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,233
Sorry that I don't have tracks to send but it's hard to go wrong in any direction. As XC Rider says, Skyline can get tedious at 35 mph, especially on your bike. Consider riding Rt. 810 south from Stanardsville to Crozet, then the Blue Ridge Parkway is just west of there (also the southern terminus of Skyline Drive). Speed limit is 45 on that. Instead of the BRP, take Rt. 151 south (west of Crozet, east side at the base of the mountain) and parallel the BRP riding south through Nelson Co. Lots of breweries with food on the way. Ride Rt. 56 west up to BRP to return to Stanardsville, or stay on 56 until you hit Rt.11. Take 11 north to 340 at I-81 intx to Waynesboro. Ride 340 north to Elkton and over the mountain on Rrt. 33 to Stanardsville. Lots of other paved roads up through the Valley instead of 340 to get back to Elkton also. (Left at Dooms just north of Waynesboro on 611, right on 865=Rockfish Rd. to Mt. Meridian. Rt. on 256 1/2 mile then left on Leroy Rd. Rt. 605 through Port Republic. Left across river to right on Lawyer Rd.. Right on Pineville to Montevideo, right through McGaheysville on to 33 heading east to Elkton/S'ville.)
Going north from S'ville, take 230 out of Stanardsville to 29n to Madsion to Rt. 231. A fine road. 231 intersects 211, turn left into Sperryville then west from Sperryville (watch for cops) up the mountain, under Skyline Drive and back down 340 to Elkton heading south.
Really, it's hard to go wrong. Hope that helps.

OldnoGPS screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:41 AM
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,233
Geez, guess I type slow. bwalsh and XC posted while I was typing.
No worries bwalsh, I'll buy another GPS one day hppyfngy does indeed have those things and may have some tracks to share.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey hack, don't fall into the pit I did recently...

Study that quoted sentence closely...like I forgot to one day last week.
Yeah perhaps I should have said some Google maps or the like? I remember him posting up some stuff somewhere, sometime a bit ago. Im still laughing at my goof though Nice catch Bob

I think TOTO has realized he is headed to an awesome riding ground with extremely friendly folks to contact by now.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Yeah perhaps I should have said some Google maps or the like? I remember him posting up some stuff somewhere, sometime a bit ago. Im still laughing at my goof though Nice catch Bob

I think TOTO has realized he is headed to an awesome riding ground with extremely friendly folks to contact by now.
Only reason I even caught it was I did one better...I asked OldnoGPS if he could post coordinates for the location of one of the tags he had grabbed.

What in heck was I thinking?

Agreed with the awesome riding and great group of inmates in the area!

Nice route Ted! I may borrow that myself.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Toto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Thanx for all the quick responses folks!
I was not sure where to post.
BTW we would be going in the first week of June.

BTW...if I take the bike I will be towing it as the dog will be attending as well and I am too old to ride that far...bad back...good for about three hours.
If I can get away with it I will take the bike...but it ain't a sure thing...was just curious.
Wife and I were in Hocking Hills area of Ohio and boy, did I wish I had had my bike then!
Have also been to Gatlinburg area Tn...beautiful!

Toto screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 10:17 AM
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote