User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,368
KLR/Concours. Best of both worlds.

I have a 02 KLR650 and am about to become the proud owner of a 02 Concours. One of the things that really turned me on about the KLR was the long production run because I tend to hang on to my bikes for a very long time. The same reason for looking for a Concours. The way I figure it, if any long term problems exist they will have surfaced and the solutions will as well. (doohickey,ect). If there are any other KLR/Concours owners out there I'd love to hear what they have to say about about long term ownership.
Twin headlight Ernie
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Evans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Got the KLR.... within the next year I hope to have the Concours too !!! Same thinking as you ....
Old 09-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

KLR/Concours

Great minds think alike. I'm Jeep owner as well. It's my only four wheel transportation. A 77 CJ5 with 320,000 miles. I told you I like to keep my toys forever. Ernie
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Drifting Fate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
The KLR/Concours combo gets a fair amount of play in a number of forums. You can have both for the same money as a single more modern bike.

Of course, there are detractors whining about suspension, brakes, whatever.

The fact is, if you care more about riding than having the latest whizbang gizmo, those two models are going to carry you many, many happy miles and be able to do almost anything in the motorcycle world.

I came very, very, very close to going that route myself and can't say anything bad about it. For me, other sirens sang just a bit sweeter. Of course, that just means I want to add a KLR and Concours as bikes #2 & #3.

Yeah, the sick thing is, I almost just bought a Jeep but decided to wait untill after grad school. It must be some kind of sickness.

Drifting Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,642
+1

Yes, they are old designs. Yes, there are newer, cooler, faster, sexier bikes.

BUT!

It's a good combo that covers a pretty big spectrum of the motorcycling universe. For not much dough. They are both pretty solid bikes, the connie maybe more so. (no doohickey!)

The aftermarket produces a TON of stuff to tailor either of the bikes to your needs/wants.

And the online support and knowledge base for either one is deep, enabling the average owner to maintain and upgrade the bikes themselves. For those needing more than online help there are regular "tech days" and "wrench sessions" to help those owners.

And then there's the group rides and rallies to build friendships and hang out with like minded folks.

What's not to like?
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
mikeym
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
best part like you said is that the technology is proven. since 1986 they've been using the same engine (up untl 2006). Now the Concours14 just came out and its giving some of the newer bikes a run for the money

i have 90,000 on my 2000 concours, and haven't replaced anything major... just regular tune up

~mikeym
Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Prairie Dog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Both the Concours and KLR650 were described by Peter Egan in his Cycle World column in June of 2005 as "Showroom Classics"! He went on to say that both of these bike were trend setters that have pretty much run for about 20 years of production, virtually unchanged.

I happen to own one of each of those motorcycles. They are, without the slightest of doubt, on completely opposite ends of the speed spectrum of motorcycling. The Concours shines when you need to be in a far away place in a hurry. The KLR the rest of the time.

If you want to ride the interstate, the Concours is a great bike - in cooler weather. In the hot summers of Florida, the heat pushed out on your legs is not welcomed. In the winter, it is! I use my Concours for commuting in the cooler months. Kind of like having a bike with a built in heater.

My Concours is a 1986 model that I bought 3 years ago for the sum of $2500. At the time it had just under 20,000 miles on it. The bike is in great shape and I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere. It now has about 46,000 miles on it. Yes, I like to ride it.

The KLR650 is, well just one of the most fun bikes to ride just about anywhere, except on the superslab. I love just going out exploring with the KLR and trying to find where my Garmin Quest will not find a route home from. Thus far it is Garmin 237, me 0.

What both of these bikes provide is extreme value. If you take a Concours - MSRP of $8499 and a KLR650 - MSRP of $5199, you can have two bikes for less than most of the high end bikes that will provide you with a tremendous amount of value for your hard earned dollars!

Of course, this is just my opinion.

So, what about the new Concours 14? I've got my eye on that one! I'm liking what I see. Just wonder how it will be priced? $13000 or higher, I'm assuming.

We will just have to wait!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Buckaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Kawasaki coming on Strong!

Check out what they've got in mind for 2007...

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewth...ime=1159028343

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/...-kawasaki2.htm
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
mikeym
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
pretty spanking concours ay?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Check out the styling of the Ninj 14 or whatever they're calling it.. 6 headlights! I'm not a big fan of the tear drop headlight scheme on all those bikes...

Let's see what the price of the new Concours will be. Anyone heard anything? I guess it will be in the ballpark of the Honda ST1300 and the FJR....

Congrats on the Concours Ernie
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
I did the KLR/Connie thing for awhile. I had my Connie 1st and loved it. I rode to many of the COG events around the country (even Canadian maratimes), great group of people. I ended up selling the Connie and buying a DL, only because I like to have the option to venture off-road.

Great weather protection with quality integrated luggage!!

The Concours is a great bike
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Concours

Can't wait to see a comparo on the new Concours14, FJR, ST and the new Beemer. Curious to see what the new Connie will turn in the quarter mile. Hard to believe that with a good rider these shaft drive baggers will cut a ten second run. Makes it easy to hide the NOS bottle in the the saddlebag.
Ernie
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
schausca
Make Time to Ride

Oddometer: 2
Agree - both great kawasaki bikes

I've got both, 2006 KLR650 & the 2008 Concours... when the mood changes, so does the bike.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,266
had both. sold the klr because i didn't ride it enough. now have a z750s and a concours and need to sell the concours because i dont ride it enough. i'd have to say the flickability of the klr is what got me interested in a bike like the z750.

when they put knobbies on the versys, i'll definitely consider it.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Concours/DR650 combo

I just bought a used 01 Concours on the cheap. Its been a great fall/winter commuter bike, (my commute is 95% highway). I don't have a KLR650, but I have had a DR650 for the past 3-4 years.
I have two wheelsets for the DR, a 21 inch knobby set for offroading and heavy dualsporting. Also a 17 inch supermotard set for backroad blasting and light dualsporting.
I think the DR works a little better then the KLR though sometimes that huge gas tank would be nice.
I feel I have my motorcycle bases covered fairly well for pretty cheap.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote