Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
SFMCjohn OP

Oddometer: 833
Laugh '48 Chief, '73 Tiger, Ride Yosemite

On May 12th we left San Francico to head out to the Antique Motorcycle Club of America (AMCA's) Great Indian v. Harley Race for bikes from 1965 and earlier ...

Kalle was going to ride his recently finished 1948 Chief basketcase and I was going to tag along on my 1973 Triumph Tiger ...

We left San Francisco after meeting up with loaded bikes at our favorate cafe, the Mercury, at Page and Octavia.

The Bay Bridge delivered us to the East Bay and on to Grizzly Peak, Redwood Road and Palomares Road, Mines Road and Del Puerto Road, where we saw a rattlesnake sunning itself on the asphalt. After crossing the valley we came to the Old Toll Road near Mariposa ...

Got the rear wheel off ... now where's my tube?

About fourteen miles from Oakhurst, I had just finnished shaking my fist at a silly woman in an SUV who had tried to kill me ... ten second later my rear tire went flat, in order to impress upon me once more that it never pays to act out at drivers who scare me ... bad karma ...

My bike in the crash truck, on its way to registration

All the necessary tools and spare tubes had been packed, so I got the rear wheel off and was trying to get the new tube past the two rimlocks when our friends at the campsite showed up with a pickup truck in response to our phone call for help ... We decided that it would be more fun to finish fixing the flat at the campsite ...

Dominic Magri's BSA ... he had rebuilt it last year and rode it from Seattle to Homer, Alaska, with his father lat summer ... you can see the '36 Indian Chief that Dennis Magri rode to Homer.

Dennis Magri's Indian Four ... notice the hardtail frame ...

Mike's nice Harley-Davidson panhead ... also a hardtail ...

Everyone was at the hotel in town, and there was quite a bike show in the parking lot. Kalle got a bag of swag for his $200 entry fee, and I signed up for Friday night dinner and a steamtrain ride for $80, which seemed to also be my admission into the rides that would leave each day from Oakhurst ...

After dinner at the campground in town, which turned out to be very nice, and putting the rear tire in order thanks to young Dominic, we all went to bed to be lulled asleep by the roaring brook at the edge of our campsites.

All the gang at the campsite ... clockwise from top left, Kalle, Mike, Dennis and Dominic
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 11:07 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
thevulture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
What a neat event, I wish I had heard about it before it happened. I would have loved the excuse to go to Yosemite and look at cool bikes.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
Indian Four...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
SFMCjohn OP

Thursday, May 13 ...

Our camp along the bank of a brook ...

Registration for the "Great Race" was at 8 am for Thursday's ride around Bass Lake and up toward Mono Pools. I'd read about Bass Lake in Hunter S. Thompson's "Hell's Angels," but had never been there ... it was very pretty, and the ride headed up toward the Sierras from the south end of the lake ...

The snow-capped Sierras and Mono Pools ...

After leaving the spectacular view of Mono Pools just beyond Mile High Curve, Kalle's Chief exploded and began spewing parts along the asphalt of the narrow bumpy road ... Oh shucks, this looks bad.

Kalle rebuilding his engine by the side of the road ...

Kalle pushed the big Chief into the shade (it was a beautifully sunny spring day), took off his motorcycle gear, started taking apart his motor, and sent me back to search along the road for his engine parts ...

The siezed distributor, which flew from the engine and hit Kalle in the let ...

I managed to find the distributor rotor in the pine needles on the side of the road, while Kalle picked up some of the parts that had hit him in the leg when the Indian exploded, alerting him to trouble in paradise …
But after an hour or so re-setting the engine timeing, Kalle kicked the bike a few times and got it started!

It turned out that it was good we got it running, because the sweep truck got lost and wound up not sweeping this part of the ride! The distributor shaft had siezed, but Kalle dipped oil out of the oil tank with long pine needles and got it unsiezed ... it took a bit of effort to get the timing adjusted, but he did it and we rode off the mountian ...

A "101" Scout ... there were two of them on the rally

An Indian Chief overlooking Mono Pools ... you can see the road and spillway far below this spot at Mono Pools
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevulture View Post
What a neat event, I wish I had heard about it before it happened. I would have loved the excuse to go to Yosemite and look at cool bikes.
Hi thevulture,

There were over a hundred bikes that showed up, about two Indians for every Harley ... lots and lots of cool bikes to check out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Indian Four...
Hi Rob,

The Indian Four sounded as good as it looks ... Keep an eye out for me this weekend, I should be in Stonyford on Friday around noon, I hope ...

See you around the campfire!
-- John
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
thevulture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Is it happening next year? If so, same place? Or is this yet to be decided?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
All my late 40's Chiefs had a small grease cup on the side of the distributor just for that reason. By screwing down the cap, grease would be pushed into the shaft. Why doesn't Mr kalle have that?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
The distributor shaft had siezed, but Kalle dipped oil out of the oil tank with long pine needles and got it unsiezed ... it took a bit of effort to get the timing adjusted, but he did it and we rode off the mountian ...

Nice work, Kalle!!! Nothing better than fixing your own bike and getting back to camp!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

Hi Rob,

The Indian Four sounded as good as it looks ... Keep an eye out for me this weekend, I should be in Stonyford on Friday around noon, I hope ...

See you around the campfire!
-- John

We're getting out of here around noon on Friday, see you there!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Hi Vulture,
It seemed like the event was a big success to me, so I'd imagine it will happen again ... not sure about the location in 2012, except that Oakhurst was a good location ... here is a link to the website; I'm sure they will post info about 2012 asap:
http://www.indianvharley.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie View Post
All my late 40's Chiefs had a small grease cup on the side of the distributor just for that reason. By screwing down the cap, grease would be pushed into the shaft. Why doesn't Mr kalle have that?
Hi Uncle Ernie,
If anyone ever told Kalle about the grease cup he didn't attend ... we figured the grease cap out on the side of the road ... that was where Kalle put motoroil to free the shaft back up ... everyone was happy to tell him about the grease cap back at the hotel ... ha.

Quote:
Nice work, Kalle!!! Nothing better than fixing your own bike and getting back to camp!!
It was pretty cool when the bike started up; we were both grinning like fools! All credit to "Never-Say-Die" Kalle ...

Quote:
We're getting out of here around noon on Friday, see you there!!!
Great! I missed the Sheetiron last year because Cary had an AFM race, so I'm happy to be back ...

Thanks, everyone, for reading this thread!
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
SFMCjohn OP

Friday, May 13, 2011

We got to sleep in a bit to the 8:30 am check-in and rider's meeting. The plan was to ride into Yosemite Park and have lunch at Sentinel Beach and then head west and south back to Oakhurst ...

I left early again, planning on waiting for the rally at the Tunnel View parking area ... saw a few deer on the way to the tunnel ... I turned right after the Entry Gate to look at the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias.

Just before the Tunnel traffic was stopped by the construction crew that's been rebuilding the stone walls along the road ... There were may three areas of road construction and the traffic was one way for 20 minutes before they would stop traffic and let it go the other direction ... that was a bit of a drag, and it made it so they had to control the traffic heading out of the Tunnel View parking areas ... so I decided to head out and meet the guys for lunch ...

"Red" Fred Johannsen, looking lost on the valley floor ... check out the upside down forks on the bike on the left ...

Sentinel Beach lunch stop ...

Kalle and Red Fred under Yosemite Falls ...

Kalle at the Triangle Tavern and Country Store

After the ride, we got ready for our dinner and ride on the Sugarland Express ...

Dinner is almost ready!

How the AMCA does dinner ... yum!

After dinner we headed out on the oil-burning steam locomotive that was built in 1924 ... really neat to see it running ... at the turn around six miles from the start, we all got out and had a sing-along around a big campfire. The Sugar Pine Railroad Company supplied both the food and live entertainment ... all super classy ...

The locomotive at night ... you can see into the firebox under the train ...

A great time was had by all ... really fun to see all these bikes being ridden ... we figgure that we put on about 1000 miles from Thursday through Sunday ...

We left for the Passadina Motorcycle Club's Greenhorn Rally, where we would meet the LA people at Harris Ranch off I-5 ... it turned out it was a good thing that we left Saturday, because we missed the snowstorm that dumped about 4" of snow at our campground ... Dennis said his tent collapsed in the night from the weight of the snow!
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
Sweet, thanks for posting this
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
kallehof
kalle

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Gary Stark of Starklite put on the event. http://www.indianvharley.com/
I asked Gary if we was going to host the event again next year. I had to ask twice and all he said was "We'll see". The event was a real class act and I'm sure it was a lot of work.
kallehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
kallehof
kalle

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Thanks Rob, I had a shit-eating grin all the way back to camp. See you in Fort Bragg this weekend I'm staying at the Pine Beach Inn.
kallehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
EastKy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
nice pictures
EastKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Sweet, thanks for posting this
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastKy View Post
nice pictures
Hey England-Kev and EastKy,
Thanks for the positive feedback, it's much appriciated!

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500