Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #241
Bart1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Great RR Gliga, very inspiring, thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
i dont know at this time which bike i use in May/june when not the dakar then the Xchallenge, i like my Dakar and the AfricaTwin but 50 Kg less is better for gravelroads

@ offtopic
you ask for tracks in the thread "Balkan trail info needed" send me a PM with your e-mail so i can send you some tracks

I also hope to go there in May/June on my way round the Black Sea too, will be on a modified silver Versys with Uk plates.

Bon Voyage to you both.
Bart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #242
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Sounds like there's afair old bunch of folk going so lets hopeour paths cross

Phil
Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #243
laouen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
We just booked the night train from Düsseldorf to Villach yesterday, arriving in Slovenia on the 9th of June for 3 weeks allroad fun
laouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #244
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 79
We will be starting our Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia_Montenegro trip in Villach too, coming from France, but we will return there on the 9th of June. However we will probably drive down to Villach in one go via the german Autobahn (700km). and stay there for the night as starting and end point. Maybe just enough time there to meet and have a together!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #245
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
last year the snow was very long on the tracks, but this year it could be complete different

pic from may last year on the way to Bosnia
Thank you TwinMike! Very nice pic!
It can be different every year, we don't know yet how severe and how long the winter will be. I will put the Durmitor trails as an option on our trip planning and we will see if the trails are open once we get there.
2 of us will be riding KTM 950 SE, the 3rd rider is hesitating between taking his Yam 600TTR or his BMW GS800, the 4th one will suffer on the trails on his heavy Varadero 1000 on knobbies.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #246
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV67 View Post
Thank you TwinMike! Very nice pic!
It can be different every year, we don't know yet how severe and how long the winter will be. I will put the Durmitor trails as an option on our trip planning and we will see if the trails are open once we get there.
2 of us will be riding KTM 950 SE, the 3rd rider is hesitating between taking his Yam 600TTR or his BMW GS800, the 4th one will suffer on the trails on his heavy Varadero 1000 on knobbies.
thanks to
we start end of May in Austria in direction Albania for three weeks on much gravel as possible.
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #247
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 408
Thumb Thank you Gliga for an outstanding RR!

I love your pictures and your narrative style - you really know how to tell a story both in pictures and words!

I stumbled across this RR in my search for information about the Balkans, as I plan to pass through the region on my way home from a ride to Turkey later this year.
My original plan was to (more or less) follow the Adriatic Coast from Albania to Italy, but after reading your RR I've decided to move the Balkans up on my priority list for the trip and spend some time exploring the inland mountain regions/national parks as well.

If I were to visit 2 or 3 areas/parks for some gravel road riding and wild camping which ones would you recommend?

I'll be riding my V-Strom with luggage on semi street tires (Anakee3) and as it's part of a longer ride, I'll have to be able to do around 500km a day - which means that I'm not looking for technical/demanding riding just some good gravel roads that will take me through beautiful scenery.

Thanks again for a RR out of the ordinary.

Tonny
England and Ireland 2013 - Morocco 2013 - Nordkapp 2010
be a part of the adventure: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

Don T screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 08:50 AM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #248
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Difficult question... :) Your daily millage and loaded bike are limiting factors as most of the really spectacular places require much slower riding pace (there are not so many fast gravel roads...)

Wherever you go in Montenegro it's simply impossible to make mistake, nature is just beautiful everywhere. Kotor bay, Moraca and Tara canyons, Durmitor National Park. Durmitor is full of small, narrow winding paved roads and there are only few gravel roads remaining...

Bosnia... Zelengora mountain is a must. Good gravel road between Cemerno and Kalinovik has much to offer. Lake Orlovacko is right on the half way between those two towns/villages and it's a perfect camping spot. Then from Kalinovik toward Nevesinje, over Morine plateau is another great gravel road. From there you can either go to Mostar (40-50km pavement) or cross several more mountains to reach Sarajevo mostly on gravel roads (Google Earth is your friend here: Nevesinje, Pridvorci, Zijemlje, Borci (lake Boracko), Glavaticevo, Odzaci, Luka, Tusila, Umoljani, Lukomir... From there it shouldn't be to difficult to figure out the rest :) ) Main road between Nevesinje and Glavaticevo which is shown on Google maps and Google Earth doesn't exist! Following those routes expect to cover less kilometers than planned, 300 km of gravel is a lot, especially when you stop to take photos all the time.

Jajce town, abandoned underground military base Zeljava near Bihac town... Just so much to see :)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #249
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 408
Thanks for the info Gliga - I'll use it when I plan my route.
I know that 300 km a day can be a lot when riding gravel/dirt/off road, as I've participated in EnduRomania on my Yamaha every year since 2009 - if you want some good routes/tracks for your GPS from that area just let me know.
England and Ireland 2013 - Morocco 2013 - Nordkapp 2010
be a part of the adventure: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #250
benzine
adv

Oddometer: 188
Still in love with the Balkan area.
benzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #251
Daliss
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Gliga> Hi man,
I looking for one track, which i know from offroad video from Bosna. This road would be near Konjic, under lake Boracko. But on Google eart i don´t know, which is it. Can you help me? Thanks a lot
These are some photos from this road:

Daliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #252
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can you post that video? From this picture I can't really tell anything...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #253
Daliss
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post
Can you post that video? From this picture I can't really tell anything...
yes, this is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9IRvpNVBw

in time 5.25
Old 02-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #254
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It might be this one but I'm not sure

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...84/02-gpx.html

I took this road last summer but id didn't look so attractive in person. It might be that camera makes it look more interesting or that it's not the same road.

EDIT:
Looking at the map from beginning of that video I'd say that this is actual route. At least that's the mountain they have climbed.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...86/03-gpx.html

Gliga screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 12:28 PM
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #255
Daliss
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post
It might be this one but I'm not sure

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...84/02-gpx.html

I took this road last summer but id didn't look so attractive in person. It might be that camera makes it look more interesting or that it's not the same road.

EDIT:
Looking at the map from beginning of that video I'd say that this is actual route. At least that's the mountain they have climbed.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...86/03-gpx.html
Hi Gliga,
thanks a lot. I look to your GPX file in home