luloadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #272
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobella View Post
Ciao, Gliga.

I'd like to make a small donation toward upgrading your photobucket account - there are so many beautiful pictures at the beginning of this thread that have disappeared due to bandwidth constraints. This is a tragedy! (Feel free to PM me if you like.)

Thanks for more of your fantastic ride report - your candor is absolutely refreshing.

I really appreciate the offer but there is no need for donations I started moving photos to another hosting site which has no bandwidth limits so we should have no more problems with disappearing photos...

@Twinmike
I'dd say that you're hooked to riding in Balkans

@Everyone
Once again, a huge THANK YOU for your support. This thread surpassed even my wildest expectations, I could never imagine it would receive so much welcoming attention Another update is due later today...

Somebody asked about my plans for this season. One trip is a must: southern Montenegro, Albania (really thorough exploration) and Macedonia (FYROM). That trip was planed for last season but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Delay, as usual, gave me time to find even more roads to ride and places to visit. Most of the routing is already done. I have no idea about starting date or how long the trip will last. Learning from previous trips I plan to be more relaxed with riding schedule and will probably include a rest day and at least few nights in hotels/motels/apartments...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #273
motobella
Avventuressa

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post
I really appreciate the offer but there is no need for donations I started moving photos to another hosting site which has no bandwidth limits so we should have no more problems with disappearing photos...
That's great news, Gliga. Thanks for taking the time and energy to keep us all connected visually to your awesome thread! Looking forward to your trip through Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania in particular.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #274
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As promised, here is another update :)

Day three (Zelengora-Durmitor National Park)

Before start of this ride my plan was to split from PJ sometime during today's ride. However, when he told me that his idea was to end this day at Durmitor I simply couldn't resist. It's less than hundred kilometers detour in one direction which is well worth it...

Morning brought clear blue skies for the first time on this trip. It was still a bit on the cold side but it will warm up later on. Breakfast, short walk to nearby hill to take photos, packing up... It's routine by now...

Another time lapse video, packing of the campsite.

Somebody already noticed, this lake should be called AFRICA.

First few kilometers of today's ride are just beautiful. Road climbs to a small pass, above tree line and views are great. After that it descends into forest.

After around 25 km of gravel we reach Cemerno pass. We have less than one kilometer of pavement to reach start of our next off road section; climb to Lebrsnik mountain (the one you see in background in first picture below). Road climbing up to Lebrsnik has one short but very fun part. That particular road is not being used anymore so now it's in bad shape. It's steep, rutted and demands attention. After that it reconnects with the main road, coming from the south, and it takes just few minutes to reach the top.

This little guy hitched a ride for at least 10-15 minutes. He wasn't bothered by wind or bumps...

This shot is from that "technical" section I mentioned above. It's from my last year's visit.

North side of Lebrsnik mountain is in fact almost vertical rock face (the one you can see at pictures above). Views from the top are amazing. There is also communications tower at the top, right at the edge of a ridge. We got there while maintenance crew was doing their job. Guys were nervous as they had to wait for different crew to bring fuel for generators, they could do nothing without that and nobody bothered to check before dispatching them. Friendly guys, we started chatting up. I mentioned how spectacular views must be from up there. Next thing I hear is:

-"Well, you can climb up if you want/dare. Just don't go higher than first level, there is a lot of equipement on higher platforms. And also be careful on ladders, nobody went up there after last winter's snow so we don't know if there is something broken."

It was extremely difficult task to persuade PJ to climb. It took almost two seconds... After checking batteries in all cameras we were ready to go up. Now, that first platform didn't look high back from the ground. But once you got up there perspective changes. Fact that tower itself is located at the edge of few hundred meters high cliff helps. So does the fact that deck is made from grated steel. It takes some time to get used to all this but after that pleasure is guaranteed. Definite highlight of this day

Feet over the edge series is still here :)

Views from the ground ain't bad either :)

That is herd of cows down there...

Riding down toward lake Klinje is somewhat anticlimactic experience. Road is not interesting and scenery is not special (yes, at this point you are spoiled by views from the top). We stop at the dam to take photos. Instantly I can hear the guard shouting at us, telling us to leave. Water color is so surreal that it deserves to be immortalized in a photo or three. And, that simply must be done from the dam... By the time we took few photos guard (60 or so years old, possibly drunk) got close to us. He was confused by PJ's licence plate and wasn't sure which language to use (he only knew Bosnian anyway). Being good guys as we are it was time to leave the place.

To be continued...

Gliga screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 02:03 PM
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #275
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 523
I miss the Balkans :) I'll be back some day!
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #276
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just try to finish your RR before doing that...
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #277
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 523
I spend all day every day behind a computer - when I get home, writing doesn't seem to appeal to me that much. I prefer getting my hands greasy in the garage or a pint of beer in the evenings. Others (like you) are much better writers and photographers anyway
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #278
laouen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post

@Twinmike
I'dd say that you're hooked to riding in Balkans
It's an addictive region! We'll be back in June as well
laouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #279
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
well thank you... you kinda ruined my plans traveling down to croatia with my r6. now i am looking for a cheap dualsport bike to do this trip because your pictures and the paths you ride along look so freaking amazing .

ride safe and enjoy it :)
travelR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #280
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Sused svaka čast, jebene fotke!
My neighbour, great pics!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #281
kreattur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hey Gliga !

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing !! :) I'm actually planning to cross Bosnia , Serbia and Bulgaria in a few weeks (i'm travelling from France to Turkey), would you have some nice places to suggest ?
If you're available I'ld love to ride with you ! :p (I have a KLR, same family as your KLE :p )

Thanks !
kreattur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #282
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 791
Most likely my prefered passenger picture of the whole forum. Very nice.

-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #283
liammons123
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Awesome, I'll be in the Balkans June/July so I'm going to use this thread as some inspiration!!
liammons123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #284
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by liammons123 View Post
Awesome, I'll be in the Balkans June/July so I'm going to use this thread as some inspiration!!
same here (june). this ride report is just so awesome .... please continue
travelR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #285
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelR6 View Post
same here (june). this ride report is just so awesome .... please continue
Sorry to disrupt this RR, and I hope that OP won't mind, just a quick info for anyone traveling through Bosnia.

On the weekend of first week of July this year, few of us are having a enduro gathering in western part of Bosnia.
Nice enduro mountain drive, spectacular views and above all good fun. Lodging and food are secured in city of Banja Luka on Friday and Saturday, both beds and tent area available, campground has shower and toilet facilites.

So if you are passing through the area at this time, feel free to drop in for some fun .

You can contact me via PM for more info.
svestenik is offline   Reply With Quote