Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #331
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
the flood was in the NE part of Bosnia Herzegowina in the triangle of the three countrys Kroatia -Bosnia - Serbia by the river Danube, Save, Bosna, Drina.

south and western part of Bosnia there are normally road conditions after the winter season as Olirider show in the pics from MNE.

We came over the mountain roads in Velebit to Gospic and over the Mountain to the border Kroatia-Bosnia near Bihac by the Una River, then Cabulja Mountain to Moster.
All roads are free from snow, the gravelroads has some wash outs after heavy rainfall but no problems.
The roads south from Sarajevo in direction Montenegro no problems
Great intel, thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #332
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post

Somebody already noticed, this lake should be called AFRICA.
Hello Gliga.

Too bad you had to work today
Could you please show me the location of that lake on Google maps?

Cheers
Tonny
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #333
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
Hello Gliga.

Too bad you had to work today
Could you please show me the location of that lake on Google maps?

Cheers
Tonny
Work... For the past 4-5 years I had all the time in the world and very few commitments. That had to end sooner or later Now I'm happy if I manage to go for a Sunday ride... That's life.

Lake coordinates: 4322'42.00"N 1833'0.29"E

Beware: Road leading west from the lake, shown on Google Earth and Google maps, DOESN'T EXIST IN REALITY. It is nothing more than a footpath...
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #334
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 430
Thanks Gliga.

Just in time before I shut down the computer and go to bed - and I'll probably need it tomorrow
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #335
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No time for riding this season. At least I can finish this RR as it has been ongoing for quite a while...

DAY FOUR CONTINUED

In Foca I leave main road. Plan is to take a shortcut, some local gravel roads, and get back to Drina river close to Visegrad. Villages I'm passing are depressing. This area saw heavy fighting back in the nineties and evidence is still here. At times both sides of the road are full of "Beware, MINES" signs...

Waking up early, in combination with high temperatures, means that by this time of a day I'm riding on autopilot, brain switched off. Not perfect for riding a bike. Nature provides solution: nice meadow and cold stream right on the road side. Amazing what 45 minutes of lying in soft grass while soaking feet in water can do to men's brain

Long, long time ago they started paving this road. That means constant changes between poor pavement and decent gravel. Still thinking about the crash, I'm not enjoying the ride...

Reconnecting with main road, near Ustipraca village, comes as welcomed change.

Visegrad, last town before crossing into Serbia. It's a place to refuel and take photos of famous bridge (well, famous in these areas at least...). Crossing the border only takes couple of minutes and soon after I'm in Mokra Gora village.

I planned to take some short cuts toward Tara mountain but at this point my enthusiasm was gone. Instead I opt for main gravel road.

As miles roll by my mood improves. By the time I reached another possible shortcut I decide to take it. From the start it's obvious that road is not used regularly. At few places there are steep descends with loose surface. Backtracking might be difficult... Surrounding nature looks great and road remains rideable, soon I'm in a hamlet just below the dam.

Camping at the crown of a dam, dinner, rest. Neighbours are some guys from a town nearby. They invite me for some company, never to be missed, camp fire, drinking rakija (national spirit)... Life is great.

Gliga screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 01:50 PM
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #336
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day five (Tara National Park-Novi Sad)

End of this ride is in sight, tonight I'll sleep in my bed. There are several "standard" ways to get from Tara mountain to Novi Sad. Some are less boring than others but non of them goes well with my style of travel...

I've been at Tara mountain few times before but only scratched the surface on those occasions. Today is opportunity to get to know each other in much greater detail... I have plenty of time so I take it easy. Stopping at every viewpoint, exploring every dead end road and many not so dead ended... It all lasts for hours and it feels just so good.

View from campsite at the crown of a dam.

One of numerous dead end roads.

View from Biljeska Stena overlook:

In order to reach Banjska Stena overlook you have to hike for some 5-10 minutes. Nobody else is there. Peace, quiet, idyllic... I take a long break at a rocky outcrop. Below me only trees and Drina river...

Exploration has come to an end in Mitrovac (tourist center at Tara mountain). Road leading down to Drina river valley and Bajina Basta town is very attractive. You descend some 500-600 meters in just a few kilometers. All the time you have great views of the valley down below.

For next hour or so I'm following Drina river downstream. Few kilometers before reaching Mali Zvornik town it's time to leave the river. Shortcut to Krupanj taking me over Jagodnja mountain. Mix of gravel, poor dirt roads (luckily it was dry...) and cobblestone. Village here and village there. I'm not stopping that often as there is so much ground yet to be covered.

Last off road section will take me across Cer mountain. As soon as I entered forest GPS lost reception (first time that happened for longer period). Now, I know that road follows main ridge from east to the west side of a mountain. Thing is, west side is to far for me, I don't want to ride that far. That means I'll have to find a road which at some point climbs off the mountain (and do that without map or GPS). Road which follows the ridge is old cobblestone (and I'm not talking about those small granite cubes you can see in some cities), goes trough forest and it's unpleasant to ride...

I finally find a road which looks like it could take me in right direction. It's overgrown, there are no tracks indicating that it is being used. Being stubborn as I am in these situations is the only reason I didn't turn around right away. Few minutes of riding trough the bushes I suddenly found myself on best gravel road I've ever seen. Out of nowhere, perfect gravel... Still no tracks indicating that road is being used at all. Than it hits me, this looks like completely new road. And, sure enough, only few hundred meters later I came across a roller still working. Yep, as new as it gets.

I emerge back into civilization close to Petkovica monastery. Minor roads trough some villages take me toward Sabac. At this point I'm riding on autopilot. Last hour of riding, between Sabac and Novi Sad, I've ridden many times this year. Straight roads, flat fields all around, just boring... And that was it, I'm home and ready for another adventure.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #337
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Most excellent report, Gliga!

and thanks again for your help in getting my own routes together. We had a wonderful time in June, even though we weren't able to ride everything according to plan due to the bad weather...
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #338
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

But wait, that's not all. If you call in next 15 minutes we'll throw in a free bonus: Photo story from another trip.

So, sit back and enjoy...

PART TWO

Just a few days after I got back home I received a phone call from a friend. He was planning a trip following my footsteps and wanted some info about roads. Knowing that I just got back from a trip he jokingly asked me to join him for a ride. Hmmmm, I have almost zero money but plenty of will and time. To end my dilemma I get the offer that can't be refused: "Just take enough money for fuel, Food and accommodation is on me..." Fast forward couple of days in which I done some bike maintenance and it's time for a ride.

Meet Vanja, who happens to be a bike mechanic. I have a windscreen once again.

First day, pavement ride from Han Pjesak in Bosnia toward Durmitor National Park in Montenegro (I already told you that place is worth revisiting...). Rainy morning made us switch direction of the whole tour which ended as excellent idea.

Durmitor:

Susicki canyon:

Lake Susicko:

This is the road from Susicki canyon toward Zabljak. It has been paved since these photo were taken...

A "must stop" place for photos...

DAY TWO
Although we carried all the camping equipement we ended spending every night in B&B places or hostels. This is our accommodation for the first night:

First up, riding across Sinjajevina mountain, 30-40 kilometers of nothing but grass and stone:

And then some more of the same

This was shot in the middle of nowhere. At first it looked like mayor trouble for a driver (the road is not used on regular basis) but it turned out that the car was a prop for some movie in the making.

And some more...

Descending toward Tara river canyon, that's Dolina Lipova (Lipovo valley) down below.

Short break at lake Biogradsko in Biogradska Gora National Park. Crowded with tourists, paid entrance but still beautiful. Oh yes, it is also start of next off-road section. Time to explore some new roads and mountains

Getting close to ridge of Bjelasica mountain:

And then some...

Usual disclaimer applies: It's steeper than it looks. This was only time when KTM was in it's natural environment.

For some thirty minutes we followed, what turned out to be, a dead end road. Funny thing: that was only part of a route where I used track logs somebody sent me (it turned out that road got badly overgrown and we didn't see a turn off that we needed so it was our fault.). This meant we just lost an hour of quickly disappearing sunlight and that we had to take a longer, pavement alternative. This might be a good time to say that KTM's rear tire was also disappearing at noticeable rate which meant slooooowwww riding speed on tarmac. Metzeler Six Days tire, we later joked that it got it's name from expected life span...

Now, to add some fuel to the fire: It's sunset and we're in Andrijevica town for fuel and food. We still have some 30-40 kilometers until we reach a place where we plan to spend the night. Vanja notices that his brand new chain is badly stretched. No time to adjust it. Needles to say spirits are at absolute low at this point. Instead of gravel short cut we take regular road toward Stavna Katun.

It's night time when we get there. Only thing is, we took a slightly wrong turn and we're now on a ridge with our accomodation few hundred meters below us... Backtracking is boring and it takes time so next thing I know I'm following small KTM down a steep meadow in complete darkness. Few minutes later we're down at the lodge Sorry, no pictures.

To be continued...
Old 07-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #339
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duibhceK View Post

Most excellent report, Gliga!

and thanks again for your help in getting my own routes together. We had a wonderful time in June, even though we weren't able to ride everything according to plan due to the bad weather...

I'm expecting to see some pictures

Glad I could help with planning.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 AM   #340
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post
I'm expecting to see some pictures
They're coming
Currently still working on a ride report on a local Belgian forum, but we'll do a small report here on ADV as well some time soon.

It's great to see some familiar sites again in your pics. It was very drab and foggy when we rode past Susicko, so our views weren't that nice. The Stavna katun is a nice place to spend the night as well. Excellent food to complement the roomy accommodation!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #341
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 515
What's the link for the belgian RR?
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #342
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,283
Note to self; buy and store a small DS in Ljubljana or?

FWIW a new CRF250L costs 4200 euros in Slovenia.

But I earn USD and that translates to over 5600.

Remember when the euro was around .85?
taranaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #343
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY THREE

When you see next few pictures you'll understand why we pushed so hard last night in order to reach this place. Riding, quite obviously, started with a climb over that steep meadow from yesterday. Only difference is that this time we could actually see where we are riding. These photos were taken during few lazy morning hours, notice how clouds start forming around the peaks... I present to you the Komovi mountain:

We then explored some roads which turned out to be dead-ends. Still, fun riding...

Climbing toward the pass near Albanian border:

And this is as close as we could get to Albania without needing passports. Valley and the peaks in the background are all in Albania. This area just felt so remote and isolated...

Riding toward lake Rikavacko. Original plan was to follow the road which goes along the border line but Vanja's ever disappearing rear tire made us change the plan. We never got to see the lake, turning around at the pass just above it. Oh, well, that's a great excuse to return here

We followed some narrow and twisty pavement toward Podgorica where we spent the night. This was a short but amazing day of riding.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #344
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY FOUR

This morning we decided to go separate ways. Vanja was short on time and wanted to take the shortest possible road home. I wanted to explore some more as I had all the time in the world No following GPS track logs today as this was not part of original plan.

Day was hot and I was riding trough Moraca canyon. It's not difficult to guess what happens when I spot the road going down to the river... Awesome secluded place, ice cold water and first "crash" on this tour. Riding trough sand while looking around... Bad idea Oh, yeah. Water from that river is drinkable. Nothing upstream to pollute it.

Taking a minor road toward Savnik town. No traffic at all.

Before reaching Savnik I spotted a sign for a bicycle route (there are A LOT of well marked bicycle trails in Montenegro. As they use many gravel roads they are also great for motorcycles). Name of the next point sounded familiar so I decided to follow that road.

These are basically foothills of Durmitor mountain. All these roads were gravel only few years ago which is a great thing for local population but sad for us, riders :)

That's lake Pivsko down below. Just not your usual perspective.

Dead end or two later I'm on some great gravel road. Just had to stop for a photo shoot.

Very unexpectedly I found myself on the very same intersection where this trip practically started. Of course, I arrived from opposite direction and taking the other road. Talking about closing the circle

The tunnel in the background is the one many of you know. If you rode from Lake Pivsko toward Durmitor (taking Sedlo pass road) you passed through a tunnel which has an intersection in it...

Bridge over Piva river, just after Mratinje dam:

Short break, somewhere in Bosnia before reaching Sarajevo.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #345
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
What's the link for the belgian RR?
Don't want to hijack Gliga's thread, so check your PM for the link.