ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #466
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
...and he sacrifices the body to make the grab!

OOOH! Sorry to see that Davo. Mine has been known to take a nap or two in the mud also. Slippery stuff. I love my KLR but it is a bit of a pig sometimes.

As you can see, this was when it had the original tires on it. I have never had an issue once I switched to more knobby-ish tires. Tires make all the difference when the road gets ugly.

Anyway, I'm guessing that you landed softly and that everything is ok. Thanks for posting even though I'm sure it's not your proudest moment.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #467
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
I rode past the tag spot without realizing it. There was a lot of muddy rutty road. At one time I came across a section with some nice deep ruts and tried to pick a line between the ruts. The KL decided it wanted to use the rut instead. I think I leaned into the right side handlebar a little to heavily, and the front tire hit the side of the rut. The bike pretty much stopped right where it was, I kept going. At least I did not end up under it, and mud is pretty soft stuff. Biggest challenge was picking the bike up. Got it back on it's wheels and rode up to the memorial site. Well I rode to the parking area to hike to the site. Decided to turn around, at that point I knew where I got off the correct path. The rest of the ride on the forest road I had both feet off the pegs like outriggers to prevent another get off. Got real slippery a couple of times, but no more get offs. Bike is fine, I am fine. Will post new tag tomorrow
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #468
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

New tag.

Not far from downtown, this used to be the only way to the top of the mountain

You want to walk uphill under the arch

Along the stone wall to the first real tree

Base of tree under this rock

Rat is underneath
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #469
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 606
I'm not saying that I'm old, but I remember when that road was paving stones, and the only way to get up to the top.
But is it legal to ride up that far now a days?

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #470
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1 View Post
I'm not saying that I'm old, but I remember when that road was paving stones, and the only way to get up to the top.
But is it legal to ride up that far now a days?
Absolutely. The road officially " closes" just past the last mansion, named "Rock Ledge". This is at the old toll booth, probably 1/2 mile before you reach the end of the road, which is simply three posts across the road, with three or four feet between the posts. Worth the ride, just to see the fine homes that were built there a hundred years or more ago.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #471
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

A "pointer" to help you locate the rat

Old 07-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #472
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Grab

Got the Rat. (Managed to get there first this time:)

The old toll house for the old rd up Mill Mountain is on Prospect Rd. (start at the intersection of walnut and sylvan). This was a fun location; we know nothing about the area, so it took some googling to figure out where this was. Good clues!

We rode up as far as the last house, where the posts are blocking the road. A car could not continue, but any bike could. It looks paved the whole way, and people were biking and walking their dogs up. The only reason we didn't ride all the way up is we needed to go to a gas station, and had plans in the other direction, so we rode back down.

Picked up the rat around 10 this morning. Haven't placed the new tag yet, will post later today.
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #473
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
New Tag

The Rat has landed:

From where this picture was taken, look left.

Head for the light post center pic.

The Rat's fortress of solitude is in the pile of rocks directly behind the light post (at the base of the guy wire for the power pole).

Fantastic day to be out and riding
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #474
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Grab. Smith Mountain Lake Dam.

Pictures later. Crap a talk has changed policy

Picture proof

Davo-55 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 02:52 PM
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #475
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
Glad to see you made it Dave . I hope the gravel was not to bad on 608.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #476
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

New tag. Lame, I know but it is raining again

Look behind sign for RAT

Old 07-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #477
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Hint: Actually located on the spur between the entrance to Roanoke Mountain loop on the BRP and Mill Mountain. If coming from Mill Mountain, this is the last overlook on the left. If coming from the Roanoke Mountain side, it is the first overlook on the right.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #478
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 606
Rat mia?

I can't say for sure, and I'll go back to the sign this afternoon. But I was riding into work this morning, and remembered that the RAT was along my commute route. I did not check this site to see exactly where Ms. RAT is hiding, but I stopped at the over look and looked around. Did not see RAT, but may not have looked closely at the sign posts. I did look around the base of the sign. Maybe some one has made a grab and not posted up.

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #479
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1 View Post
I can't say for sure, and I'll go back to the sign this afternoon. But I was riding into work this morning, and remembered that the RAT was along my commute route. I did not check this site to see exactly where Ms. RAT is hiding, but I stopped at the over look and looked around. Did not see RAT, but may not have looked closely at the sign posts. I did look around the base of the sign. Maybe some one has made a grab and not posted up.
It is taped to the back of the sign. It was there Sunday at 8 pm, I checked
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #480
Gilerd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I was about to change the name of the game to PAT, panama area tag, or CAT, Central America Tag, but now the rain has stopped? Oh yeah I fixed my roof this past weekend finally, so no more rain! Ok back to Roanoke tag then.