ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #556
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
The Rat needs to make its way back to the pavement. Tenere hit a deer a couple weeks ago and I'm too sissy to ride the street bike down gravel, lol.

I've ordered a gizmo to possibly data log where the rat wanders in the area. If I make it work, I'll have to swap the current mascot for a new one since Ms. Rat isn't waterproof.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #557
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Went RAT hunting tonight after work. Rode Garden Mountain road for quite a ways and could not find that particular gate. Dale, how far up/down the road is the tag? On the right or left? Does the gate stay open? I found three similar gates but no match. All were closed and all were on the right side of the road. Google Maps puts the tag on the left side of the road. Can the gate be seen from Garden Mountain Road?
I did not measure the distance from the hard surface but I basically went uphill for more than a mile, then more or less level for maybe two miles, then down hill for another couple of miles. Saw a old blue trailer on the left about midway through the level section, then a falling down burned building and another trailer or two. Went maybe 3 miles or more past these. Gonna be pissed if I turned around 100 yards too soon.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #558
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 266
I had to correct this posting. I tried to answer it from memory and got it all wrong.

When you say "left" or "right", it depends on which way you are traveling, so I can't make sense of it.

The coordinates supplied are pretty accurate. Looking at the map, Garden Mtn. Road runs (roughly) north and south. The north end being near Eagle Rock, and the south end being nearer to Arcadia. (NW to SE actually)

The RAT is closer to the south (SE) end of Garden Mtn Rd. If heading north, the gate is on the left. It's not right along the road, but can be seen from road. It was open when I was there this time, but most of the times that I've seen it, it has been closed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

draley screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 01:47 PM
draley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #559
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
I did not measure the distance from the hard surface but I basically went uphill for more than a mile, then more or less level for maybe two miles, then down hill for another couple of miles. Saw a old blue trailer on the left about midway through the level section, then a falling down burned building and another trailer or two. Went maybe 3 miles or more past these. Gonna be pissed if I turned around 100 yards too soon.

It is almost exactly 1 mile from 622 "hard surface".
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #560
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Gonna be pissed if I turned around 100 yards too soon.
Yup, sounds like you turned around too soon maybe. But, I couldn't figure out which direction you were riding.

Why would you ever turn around? Garden Mountain Rd. is a finite road, probably only about 5 miles or so.

I like to go all the way. I just wish it lasted longer.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #561
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
I had to correct this posting. I tried to answer it from memory and got it all wrong.

When you say "left" or "right", it depends on which way you are traveling, so I can't make sense of it.

The coordinates supplied are pretty accurate. Looking at the map, Garden Mtn. Road runs (roughly) north and south. The north end being near Eagle Rock, and the south end being nearer to Arcadia. (NW to SE actually)

The RAT is closer to the south (SE) end of Garden Mtn Rd. If heading north, the gate is on the left. It's not right along the road, but can be seen from road. It was open when I was there this time, but most of the times that I've seen it, it has been closed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
I see my mistake. I rode way too far, probably very close to the north end of GM road. It was almost 8 pm when I entered GM road, and I was looking for a gate right on the road, Google maps has it at about 100 feet off the road on the left if traveling North. I will revisit in full daylight. Turned around because it was getting very dark, very fast and I was on an unknown road with virtually zero traffic. A get off would not be pretty.KLR has fantastic lighting with the Denali lights, but reading a surface in the dark is different. Shadows mask the depth of ruts etc.Best to turn around and putt back to familiar ground. Got home around 9:45 pm.Safe and sound.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #562
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

BTW Google maps has the tag at 1.1 miles from the southern entrance to GM road. So I rode right past it, could not see the forest for the trees
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #563
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Grab

Located off Garden Mountain Road. Passed it twice the other evening. I could not see the gate from GM road, it is visible after you pass the entrance. You can look down through the woods and see it. Almost rode down this spur the other evening, but it was too dark to see well.

Davo-55 screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 04:54 PM
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #564
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Grab

Located off Garden Mountain Road. Passed it twice the other evening. I could not see the gate from GM road. Almost rode down this spur the other evening, but it was top dark to see well.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #565
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Rode Garden Mountain Road on through, not as intimidating in the daylight. A couple of miles from the end, the sky opened up.

Stopped here to don the rain gear. Waited maybe twenty minutes, when the lightning started I decided to get moving. It was like riding down hill in a stream.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #566
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

New Tag

Google should get you right there

Notice the plaque

Behind the fence to the right of the plaque

Right beside fence support is RAT

Covered with a much lighter color piece of stone

Went inside to look at the old tombstones. Very interesting. If you can make time, the whole down town section is very interesting. A lot of very old buildings and structures.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #567
tallbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Found the Rat at the church in Fincastle after a great ride through Craig Co.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #568
tallbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Rode Peaceful Valley Rd. in Craig Co. to Rt.614 then left to the creek. Looks like you could ride through the creek pretty easy but I didn't try it. Rat is at the base of a BIG sycamore under a couple of rocks.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #569
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbob View Post
Found the Rat at the church in Fincastle after a great ride through Craig Co.

Great grab tallbob! Downtown Fincastle is a remarkable place
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #570
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbob View Post
Rode Peaceful Valley Rd. in Craig Co. to Rt.614 then left to the creek. Looks like you could ride through the creek pretty easy but I didn't try it. Rat is at the base of a BIG sycamore under a couple of rocks.

How about the swinging bridge