ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
container OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
5 day ride North CA in Feb: where to go?

Hi.

My girl is coming over in second half of February. I thought we would rent a GS and go for a ride, for say 5 days. I've dreamt of doing West on the bike for a long time, this might be a good starter. But ...

I've been warned that the weather might not be the best, getting pretty chill at night in the national parks (no camping), even snow?
Death Valley is a bit too far south for 5 days ride.

Also, the two quotes for 1200GS from Doublejou and Californiamotorcycleadventures striked me @ $700 for a 5 day ride :O
Then there is fuel and other stuff ... we might not afford it at the end.

There are other bikes which would make it cheaper. There might be some shorter routes - on other bikes, still appealing. There might be cheaper ways of getting a bike??

What you say? 5 days in Cali? How to impress a girl?
container is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
where is your start point? the coast is a great ride most times of the year. S.F to Arcata. or south to Morrow Bay, it doesn't matter which way. there will be some fog, but there usually is no snow or freezing temps along the coast
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,197
You might consider shortening you bike rental, and just riding the stuff close to San Francisco, then renting a small car to venture further out.

Big Sur to the south, Napa Valley (wine), Sonoma Valley (beer), Pt. Reyes National Seashore (fresh oysters). You could do all that in about 2 days, circling back to stay in the Bay Area youth hostels (cheap lodging). Spend the other 3 days in a very cheap rental car driving up to Fort Brag or maybe Lake Tahoe. If you head for Tahoe, keep a close eye on the weather, so you don't get stuck over there in the snow (or carry tire chains that you can return to Walmart if you don't open the package).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote