User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #76
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 439
GEtting this thread back on track.

Here is what moisture in your site glass looks like.

My commute is just short of one hour one way. Town is about 10 minutes away but I always detour so I wind up spending 15 to 20 minutes minimum riding when I just make a quick trip. More often than not I wind up hitting the great back roads we have around here and the quick trip turns in to a one hour ride! Therefore I have never seen this problem before yesterday.

Yesterday it literally rained straight down all day long while I did numerous valve adjustments, topped off the oil, etc. All work was performed in an open air shop a few feet from the rain. I was not able to ride the bike b/c of the work I had to do so at the end of the day I noticed this moisture forming in the new oil that had been changed two days ago, before the rain.

Once I get things squared away I will go back to riding my normal routine and based on what I have read in this thread this moisture will be burnt off and the site glass will return to normal. This assumes there is no underlying problem allowing water to enter the crankcase. Agreed?

Thanks.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #77
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Here are some more pics for reference regarding my situation.

First thing this morning. Bike has sat all night. Oil is low with no presence of water that I can tell.

This shot was taken a few minutes later after I added some oil. The oil was low b/c of the valve adjustment I performed the day before. Note what appears to be the presence of water. This reminds me of someone's post about water on the outside of the glass as well as the inside where water is not standing. This should translate into water on all parts of the engine internals. The oil running into the valve cover must have picked up some water and carried it into the site glass.

So what do we do at this point? The contamination does not seem to be that bad so I decided to take a chance and go with the "when in doubt ride it" philosophy. YMMV. RYOR.

Here is the last shot of the day. I rode 30 miles in about 90 minutes, shutting the engine down for about 5 minutes at the longest so I stayed at the standard operating temperature for over an hour. I think I can still see some bubbles of moisture in there but will have to wait until tomorrow to see how it comes out. It looks like I may have gotten the engine hot enough long enough to burn off most of the moisture.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #78
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Here is the last shot of the day. I rode 30 miles in about 90 minutes, shutting the engine down for about 5 minutes at the longest so I stayed at the standard operating temperature for over an hour. I think I can still see some bubbles of moisture in there but will have to wait until tomorrow to see how it comes out. It looks like I may have gotten the engine hot enough long enough to burn off most of the moisture.
What you're seeing here are air bubbles. The amount of condensation you showed in your earlier pics is totally inconsequential IMO. i.e. don't worry about it.

Are you leaving the bike on the side-stand for a while prior to checking the oil? If not, you may be adding too much. Once again, probably not a big deal and nothing to do with moisture but you will probably find some oil blown into the airbox if you have overfilled and then run at high speed for any significant distance.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #79
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
What you're seeing here are air bubbles. The amount of condensation you showed in your earlier pics is totally inconsequential IMO. i.e. don't worry about it.

Are you leaving the bike on the side-stand for a while prior to checking the oil? If not, you may be adding too much. Once again, probably not a big deal and nothing to do with moisture but you will probably find some oil blown into the airbox if you have overfilled and then run at high speed for any significant distance.
I do leave the bike on the sidestand first and then go to the center stand. I try to use the sidestand for 15 minutes as someone suggested before doing so.

I am trying to run an oil level at the 50% mark but that is a moving target right now. i will check the air box tomorrow but have not seen anything other than bugs and dirt before.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #80
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
I do leave the bike on the sidestand first and then go to the center stand. I try to use the sidestand for 15 minutes as someone suggested before doing so.

I am trying to run an oil level at the 50% mark but that is a moving target right now. i will check the air box tomorrow but have not seen anything other than bugs and dirt before.
Obviously you'll want to work out whether your bike uses oil so you know how closely you need to watch it. My 95 used a bit when I first got it with 22K miles on the clock. By 30K, oil use had dropped to almost zero. Every single time since then I have thought it was a bit low and added oil between services, it has ended up overfilled
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #81
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
In the photos posted of the sight glass I would not worry about anything. What oil you running? run some good oil, I prefer Amsoil, temp gauge since I switched runs always one to two bars lower, and mileage is up also.
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #82
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 152
Ride it and cook it off

Ride the scoot and cook off the moisture. Problem solved.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #83
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Generally multiple short trips where condensation doesn't have a chance to burn off. This is why you should do one trip a week of at least half an hour.

Jim
I've been telling the wife this very thing for the last 30 years!
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #84
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,582
You oil level and color look fine. I see no air in the oil. There does appear to be some pollen on the site glass however.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #85
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
You oil level and color look fine. I see no air in the oil. There does appear to be some pollen on the site glass however.
Aha! There is plenty of that going around. Two weeks ago my bike was yellow.

Gotta check that air filter.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #86
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
Ride the scoot and cook off the moisture. Problem solved.
Quote:
That's what she said.
We have been watching The Office.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #87
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybeemer View Post
In the photos posted of the sight glass I would not worry about anything. What oil you running? run some good oil, I prefer Amsoil, temp gauge since I switched runs always one to two bars lower, and mileage is up also.
No idea what the PO was running. This last time I ran Castrol 20W50 but will try Amsoil if it means more fuel mileage so the higher purchase price is offset.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #88
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,063
Quote:
No idea what the PO was running. This last time I ran Castrol 20W50 but will try Amsoil if it means more fuel mileage so the higher purchase price is offset.
It won't offset in mileage alone but in extended drain intervals.I change mine every 10K..If you intend to change oil every few thousand, you will be wasting money using synthetics. (although I'd be happy to sell it to you.. )

Like Def, I chose diesel oil, the 15w-40 Marine and Diesel...TBN of 25
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #89
Owly
Into the Dark

Oddometer: 152
Pressure washer

Did anyone ask if this bike was being pressure washed ? That could be a contributing factor too... But looking at the photos there is no issue anyway.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #90
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

I am proud to say my bike has not been washed in a long time.