Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Great link - easy to find the tires in our sizes, and they have a great selection. Some suppliers do NOT carry sizes for our old bikes.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
all the tires you guys are mentioning don't look like the firestones. I have been working on my bike I have reshaped the seat and fenders to look better with the more oversized tires. Am I really gonna hate the firestones or will they be fine. I will be riding lots in the summer however never over 60mph and mostly in town.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsdad View Post
all the tires you guys are mentioning don't look like the firestones. I have been working on my bike I have reshaped the seat and fenders to look better with the more oversized tires. Am I really gonna hate the firestones or will they be fine. I will be riding lots in the summer however never over 60mph and mostly in town.
I have no experience with tires for looks. I suspect you should have customized a KE100.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Well, I think you have to figure out what you really want. The Firestones were never stock on any BMW. And from all that I have talked to, they handle like crap. Don't even think of riding very far or at all spirited on them. If you want to make your bike handle as well as or slightly better than stock, put on some Spitfires. They are reasonably priced and actually work. If you are a very spirited rider and have done some other upgrades to the bike, then definitely go for the Avons or Pirellis, or whatever.

I average 12000 miles on a set of Spitfires, which means at least 1 or two sets per year. That is on my R100RT. I know of others that ride them harder than I do and get in the 10,000 mile range. they are very happy with them for what they are. Almost all of those miles are done touring and to and from work. We are not into posing at the local coffee shop. We would rather be riding.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
When you go wider on the front, you will sacrifice handling... if it is only looks you are after, just pick your favorite and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

damn they just look too cool. trust me function first is my concern. in the end my bike 's looks will only matter to me. Every rig pig in this part of the world rides a brand new billion cc crotch rocket or chromed penis enlarger. I might just go to the local dealer and find something practical and decide while I am busy wearing them out.

chipsdad screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 08:34 PM
chipsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,832
Do you know why just about every type of competitive bike out there has a much smaller front tire? Because the rules don't force them to use the same size tires like they do in AMA flat track. If you want your bike to handle, keep the monster truck tires off the front.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

i am aware of the tire size factor. i used to race downhill bikes on the circuit. we used larger front tires in some cases to use the gyroscopic effect to help on some courses. I am sure the rotating mass is the largest contributor to people not liking these large rubbers. I was more interested in hearing about the rubber quality and sidewall mannerisms.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
Friend of mine got a couple of Heidenau tires... German made and seems to really like them. Seem pretty reasonably priced. He got them from here.

http://www.motorcyclemaniacstore.com...torcycle-tires
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,780
Does anybody here have any experience with Duro Tires ?
They make a copy of both the K81 and Conti Twins ( K112/RB2) and are quite cheap. Maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for?

http://tinyurl.com/b4twmct
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #26
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
I know of others that ride them harder than I do and get in the 10,000 mile range. they are very happy with them for what they are.

Wowsers! that is at least double what i've ever got from any rear.
I'm gonna pull a spark plug lead off.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
I put on Duro's on because they were cheap and I considered the old tires dangerous. I still have the Duro on the front but swapped the rear for a Spitfire. I got about 5K miles out of the rear and replaced it with a Spitfire.

They seemed Ok to me but I ain't the most expert or spirited of drivers.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
They make a copy of both the K81 and Conti Twins ( K112/RB2) and are quite cheap. Maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for?

http://tinyurl.com/b4twmct
I had wondered about the Duro tires as well, and rufusswan replied then too. I just wanted something inexpensive to get some miles on my project R75/6 once I had it running reasonably well. The Duro's "are what they are", but I'm not disappointed. Heck even 5K on a rear is fine with me. I don't think my /6 will ever be my main bike, so for me they'll do the job. The Duro's have the classic tire look, I think. If you're racking up a lot of miles you might want something a little more "Duro-able" (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #29
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsdad View Post
I was more interested in hearing about the rubber quality and sidewall mannerisms.
Firestones? Are you only interested in "the looks"? I didn't know Firestone even made a tire for our bikes. Any good motorcycle tire - Metzler, Bridgestone, Avon, Continental, Michelin, Heidenau, etc., made in the RIGHT SIZE for these our bikes will out-perform a Firestone. I would be cautious of any of the other "off brands", but that is just my subjective opinion. I do ride at a spirited pace, I have spent a lot of time and money setting up my suspension to ride hard and fast, so I want the best tires I can get.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
There's on,y one way to know if you like the Firestone doughnuts. Buy them put them on ride them enjoy how wrenchmonkees your bike looks ride them some more. Wear them out get a normal tire and understand why everybody here is suggesting more modern tires.

The ribbed front of the FS will wander in rain groves. The round fat profile will make steering effort harder.
The older compound will not inspire confidence. That is assuming you are talking about repops and not real old vintage tires which you would be flat crazy to use.

But if you like the style, you like the style. Worse thing is you might hate 'em
They are after all just tires. They do wear out.