User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
BenThere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Mexico Anyone?

I'm interested in heading down to Mexico soon but would feel better about having some riding companions. Is this the right forum to try to locate peeps looking for such adventures?
BenThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
It can work.

Recommend you post up your travel window/preferred crossing location, and a vague idea of what you'd like to go see.

These markers will attract more interest.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
BenThere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, thanks,

I'd be coming from South Carolina, so I'd prefer to meet some riders at an eastern crossing point, but that's not imperative. I don't speak any Spanish - my last trip to Mexico was in 1980 as a 14 year old on a herpetology/ornithology expedition - what an adventure that was. I'm pretty wide open on where to go and what to see and I'm pretty easy to get along with. I'd probably just as soon do this trip by myself, but I'm also thinking "safety in numbers," given the current climate down there. I don't mind doing some camping along the way and have some gear for that.

I'm on an '04 r1150r - so not exactly a dual sport ride.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Once on the road riding solo is very rewarding. Don't think you need to be with other riders for safety, because you don't. Suerte.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
BenThere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I shouldn't have any qualms at all about going anywhere down there solo? I understand how our news media has a propensity to exaggerate some things, and I do like traveling alone quite a bit. I'd just feel better about it if I at least spoke some of the language.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,120
I'm pretty much an expert on Mexico now. I asked my first Mexico question a few days ago I'm headed on my first trip in about a month.

These guys are a big help. I see you caught tricepilot's attention which is a good sign. Ask him about TVIP

Good luck

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Current climate down there is generally warm except in the higher elevations
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Get 100 words into your Espanol vocabulary. It will multiply your experience tenfold. The big danger is hitting a pothole while looking at something " scenic" or something on the road lubricating the pavement. One trip down on the bike and you will be a repeat customer.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

One more little tidbit. Don't pay any attention to what you read/hear on the news and definitely don't pay any attention to what your family, friends, or coworkers tell you about Mexico. They probably have never been there and probably have never ridden a motorcycle there.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
So I shouldn't have any qualms at all about going anywhere down there solo? I understand how our news media has a propensity to exaggerate some things, and I do like traveling alone quite a bit. I'd just feel better about it if I at least spoke some of the language.
I think you should not have any qualms about riding almost anywhere in Mexico solo if you're an experienced rider. The biggest danger down there is a traffic accident or hitting something in the road. Get Medjetassist and ride conservatively you should be fine.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
my last trip to Mexico was in 1980 as a 14 year old on a herpetology/ornithology expedition
What is that, looking for people with braces and herpes? Nasty!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
how soon are you talking about?
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Do you have a planned destination ? I would guess you plan to cross somewhere around McAllen/Reynosa. Then where to ?
I just looked at your profile to see what you are riding. The R1150R is a good choice. I have ridden my R1150R down to Veracruz and on another trip over through most of central Mexico.

acejones screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:28 PM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
BenThere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not quite certain on how soon, but fairly. I'm in Raleigh, NC and the Ike is in Myrtle Beach. I should probably replace the battery, but otherwise, she's good to go. What's the availability of tires if I run out of tread down in Cozumel? It would be a shame to waste half the life on a good set of Road Pilot II's just because...
I'm not exactly sure where I want to go. I know I had Montezuma's Revenge in 1980 and took a very runny dump in some Mayan ruins, so there's a certain staircase that I feel obligated to clean (remember that episode of The Brady Bunch when they found the idol in Hawaii?).
How much should I budget per day? I need to do some research.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Good info so far. I've been 3 times on a bike,each a long trip.Many fly & drives too. Only one was with a ride partner & a nice guy but a few too many miles per day for me,esp. there. I ride the same bike as you. The pothole/tope danger is real as is some mountain roads in curves/hills meaning some there like to pass in inopportune places!!! Some of the larger cities can eat you up and not easy to ride around them as in the US as all roads lead to the cities. All over Mexico the sign will say:MEXICO, meaning the DF.
Safety there generally means in at you and bike in at night-well sort of on the you part. Buy a Guai Rojo Atlas. I also carry a Rough Guide folding map for tank bag. On the battery thing, you can research it to death but I like the PC680 as they last & last. As for tires-you'll do almost 1,500 getting to TX border, maybe buy there but for me I can buy so much more cheaply at home & mt them here that I lean toward buy at home. I've had Shinko 009's last set, just bought Michelin Pilot Road 2's for Mexico trip. Tried Metzler Z-6's but low wear/good tires. Shinkos are far cheaper & ride about the same as the higher priced stuff.
As to budget, I'm somewhere between the real low and the medium priced hotels. I've been in a few looking and walking away & were flea bags for sure,otherwise a nice clean but plain room can usually be had for 20-30USD, meals are cheap on streets and higher as the waiters get fancier. Go where the lines are for the best street food. Always ask about the parking before you take a room,period! Always look at the room. I like to plan each day on a scratch paper in my tank bag window, as I go & more so than in the USA as you need to be in before dark for road safety & to insure a room-but also understand that Mexico tourism is hurting over two things-world economy & USA TV. maybe shoot for 175-200 miles per day-or a trip like Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido for "that day". Obvious, but keep in mind that each day needs to be in a place that will have lodging. Allow time for pics & activities!!! Be willing to take & pay for the Cuota at times as it can get around nasty cities that offer little to the trip. Also the cost is 1/2 now plus another benefit is towing-read the back of the payment slip. The scenery is actually better on some of them even though you will miss village life.
You can do the TVIP online or partly online & in person. Buy your insurance online too, not at border or adjuna. Spanish-I'm 69 & tried-HA HA! to do an immersion- too late for me but I read signs, etc.& miss cultural exchange mostly. If serious need for English look for a HS or college student or when in internet cafe ask around as they will be literate, also some hotel clerks if your paying too much for room.
Pemex-Magna runs my R1150R great & is mostly pure gas so your engine will be happy. Only you can decide on med insurance but there are companies selling multiple plans: google travel insurance. General medical care is cheap in Mexico. If you wreck or have "the big one" thats another thing for you & the bike.Places to see-this could get even longer but I can help. Look online @ the governments "Pueblo Magico" list for starters, I can place you on a number of must ride roads all over the country. I live in the Appalachian mountains, so when I say great rides, I mean great.
You still haven't said when you go? If you don't give it ~ 3-4 weeks it will be a rushed trip. Ask questions, most of us love Mexico & willing to share!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote