Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass dave View Post
how about the rider going on a diet ,that would lighten the overall weight !!!
hahahah thats a cracker
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Dmaster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass dave View Post
how about the rider going on a diet ,that would lighten the overall weight !!!
I'm 69 kg @ 1,89m tall... Not much to improve .
Its the unsprung mass that bothers me the most.
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
Besides, I few pounds in unsprung weight loss is like losing 50lbs elsewhere. Going on a diet? The wheels are THE place to start! It makes a HUGE difference right off the batt.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
Why does it 'bother you'? They are strong enough to regularly tackle RTW trips so that's good in my eyes. In fact I've followed Dogbytes/HPN tips and actually filleted the frame, just for a bit of piece of mind, as I'm sure the bike is strong enough just for road riding. If you want a lighter bike, there are plenty of lighter Japanese bikes to choose from without going for the dodgy business of drilling holes in the final drive IMO. However I may be wrong
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #20
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Plenty of unsprung weight has been taken outa blokes wallets.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Some interesting final drive and rear wheel lightening going on here. Leave it to ze germans (have to join 2-ventiler to view full size photos, but it's worth it):

http://forum.2-ventiler.de/vbboard/s...S-light-Enduro

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Some interesting final drive and rear wheel lightening going on here. Leave it to ze germans (have to join 2-ventiler to view full size photos, but it's worth it):

http://forum.2-ventiler.de/vbboard/s...S-light-Enduro
I saw some neat stuff there and so decided that joining would be OK. But I got a big yellow box. apparently my lack of German is an issue with filling in the required fields. Maybe you could give me a couple of clues?

How about the oil pump with lightening holes?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

yeah, I had a couple issues with the form not accepting my answers to the questions. Numbers have to be spelled out and remember: 2 is not spelled 'two' - it's spelled 'zwei'

Anyway, I ganked a bunch of the photos to share with you lazy SOBs as I figured you wouldn't take the time to sign up

Enjoy:

They even took the time to carve away every other cooling fin:

Yes, a lightened oil filter cannister. No, I would not have thought of that:

Swiss-cheesed kick start mechanism:

Maybe one of our Germans could try to find where they list the final weight they got the thing down to. I couldn't find it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 05:40 PM
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,400
I wish I had put in a lightened cam sprocket last time I had my engine apart. I had never thought of lightening the oil pump like that. I like that idea. Those two things I can see doing to my street bike. Of course I have seen other bikes with every other fin removed. On the heads? I would think it might cause overheating?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
Why does it 'bother you'? They are strong enough to regularly tackle RTW trips so that's good in my eyes. In fact I've followed Dogbytes/HPN tips and actually filleted the frame, just for a bit of piece of mind, as I'm sure the bike is strong enough just for road riding. If you want a lighter bike, there are plenty of lighter Japanese bikes to choose from without going for the dodgy business of drilling holes in the final drive IMO. However I may be wrong
You're missing the point - it has nothing to do with strength, and everything to do with reducing weight.

Unsprung weight is just what it says, everything below the suspension. The suspension has to control all of that and keep it planted to the road surface. The heavier the unsprung weight, the more difficult it is to counteract the inertia of that mass, resulting in less contact with the road surface, and thus less control. Minor weight reduction in this area results in very positive results. With our airheads, the rear suspension is quite heavy, so it would make a big difference in handling and control with a little weight reduction.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #26
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Ah, so a thread about reducing weight is "everything about losing weight"? That's novel. I just think some people have too much time and/or money on their hands. Still it keeps the armchair warriers amused. Me? I like to keep my bikes more or less standard. "so it would make a big difference in handling and control with a little weight reduction".Unless you are a Rossi or a Stoner, I doubt whether you'd notice one iota of difference to either. And I've seen the speed limits on Merrycan roads.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #27
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
Ah, so a thread about reducing weight is "everything about losing weight"? That's novel. I just think some people have too much time and/or money on their hands. Still it keeps the armchair warriers amused. Me? I like to keep my bikes more or less standard. "so it would make a big difference in handling and control with a little weight reduction".Unless you are a Rossi or a Stoner, I doubt whether you'd notice one iota of difference to either. And I've seen the speed limits on Merrycan roads.

Try fitting an extra heavy duty tube and see how much more sluggish the rear wheel is.
If you can't feel the difference it may be a case of pearls before swine.

Here a couple of low risk ideas for monolevers (may not apply to twin shocks or paralevers)

Invisible without disassembly and inspection

Replace the steel bolts holding the housing halves together with aluminium bolts
Bore the brake actuating "axel" to make it hollow.
Reduce the oil level in the final drive. (no ill effect noticed running at 270ml) Same with the shaft oil.
Drill a hole pattern in the brake shoes (already mentioned)
Replace the 2.50 rim with a 2.15 and run Tubliss system instead of traditional tube.
Drill a series of blind holes around the perimeter of the heavy flnge where the swingarm & final drive join.fill with lighweight material and paint.
Remove the splash shield from inside the drive. It seems to do little other than direct splash out thru the breather.

Hard to detect

The steel rod that runs between the brake lever and the hub can be replaced with a piece of Titanium threaded rod.
Make a wing nut out of Aluminim to handle brake adjustment
Replace the wheel studs, nuts & cones with Titanium.
Replace steel fill plugs & breather with Aluminium, Titanium or even plastic

More ambitious.

Move the lower shock mount forward 20mm reduced the effect of the mass of the shock (unsprung portion) by moving it away from the swinging end.

The bell coupling / cush drive assembly could spare a free grams or try a non cush drive shaft.
Possibly the drive shaft could suvive some liposuction.

All this without disturbing the mesh of the gear set and keeping the bike looking original.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

When I see this discussion I applaud the industriousness of some riders. I understand the benefits of reduction of unsprung weight but for my uses not much purpose. For others? Maybe some. But there should still be a line drawn about where the amount of time, expense and effort for a small gain is too much compared to the benefit. A number of these mods would add up I think to something noticeable and on the street that is about the only benefit. You may feel the difference. Does it mater? You decide.

I don't think moving the shock absorber is allowed. Something about the angle? Careful anyway with moving this around.

A major source of unsprung weight is the spokes. I personally am for using spoked wheels. I suggested once leaving some of the spokes off. Nobody commented. Maybe they thought I was joking. I'm not. I don't know how many you could leave off but I would guess maybe every third spoke?

And these are made of steel. How about spokes made of Titanium or light compound?

Good Luck with it. Let me know when the cost of modifications is double the value of your bike. We'll have a beer or something.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #29
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Just to clarify, the photos I posted aren't mine, they came from SWT sports in Germany. These parts all went into their enduro race bike. As a company that develops parts for off-road airheads, I bet they used this bike as sort of a test bed for many of their parts, hence the effort expended on it. The average owner won't (and shouldn't) go to such lengths. Nothing wrong with experimentation though. Somebody has to push (and exceed) the limits for the rest of us to know where they are.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I did understand AW. I still want one of the lightened oil pumps. I think SS wants one too.

How much?