Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Do you really think you will be able to feel the 2-5% gain(at best)? Lots of people say they can, but I suspect it's all psycological and mostly they appreciate the difference in sound = Louder sounds faster. 3-4% is nothing.
The electonic fuel management mods make a bigger difference, and you would want it with the exhaust anyway. Start there.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Since you will want to boost the fueling if you change the exhaust, why not do that first, its half the cost.

The problem on the 1200s is that a Powercommander V doesn't run the ECU closed loop program so you lose in Adaptation capability. That's a lot to give up. It's like you blinded it.

I would get some help, interface two LC-1s, one for each stock O2 sensor and then see what I thought about the need for an exhaust (unless you like the looks or sounds, in which case just get it and don't worry about your performance losses).

A secondary benefit to the fueling enhancement is that by leaving the intake and exhaust alone you keep from introducing errors in the VE (or fueling) tables due the the different tuning of the aftermarket parts.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 06:55 AM
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a guy with a 2001 GS and LC-1, surprised by wheelies ...

2001 R1150GS and LC-1
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Do you really think you will be able to feel the 2-5% gain(at best)? Lots of people say they can, but I suspect it's all psycological and mostly they appreciate the difference in sound = Louder sounds faster. 3-4% is nothing.
The electonic fuel management mods make a bigger difference, and you would want it with the exhaust anyway. Start there.
Plus don't new pipes change where your hp kicks in by X amount of rpm up or down. So you put on a new pipe and the kick is either earlier or later which is different and therefore better.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,883
The more money you spend the better you like it. Afterall, you're more invested in the sound at that point.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
Menachem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
There are haters and dollar for dollar it's not a great value but the full system with a pc3 and a custom tune on the dyno opened my 08 up a lot. Major diff down low and the dyno runs showed it.

Again, it's not a cheap addition but there is no question it does make a difference.

I wonder how many people who say it does nothing but sound have ridden it both ways.
06 DRZ 470 supertard
Menachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Two $1610

Or One $1230

A friend has the top system. Sounds brilliant and apparently makes more power than the single can system. He can do power wheelies easily in 2nd gear and loft the front end off bumps in third.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #22
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
There are haters and dollar for dollar it's not a great value but the full system with a pc3 and a custom tune on the dyno opened my 08 up a lot. Major diff down low and the dyno runs showed it.

Again, it's not a cheap addition but there is no question it does make a difference.

I wonder how many people who say it does nothing but sound have ridden it both ways?
But what I'm suggesting is that with the full system and the PC III (or its better, the LC-1) the gains, especially the low end, are from the fuel additions. On an R11xx, either an LC-1 or PC III can be used to make an easy across-the-board boost to fueling.

I got the same result and so did two friends on a total of four R11xxs, from LC-1s alone. So my question back is, I wonder how many have run a well-richened bike without the addition of an aftermarket exhaust?

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 05:46 AM
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #23
vlhugo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thank you

Thank you all for help and feedback! This web realy works great!
vlhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
richardas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I had a full Remus on my '05. It felt fast, sounded awesome and is lighter than stock. Though I'm about 20 lbs overweight. So there's that. If I really wanted a big power boost I think I'd trade the GS for a MultiStrada. Isn't that almost a 50 HP difference?
richardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
oldfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
aftermarket exhaust

The other great thing about my akra exhaust is I lost almost 13 lbs of weight with the new system. When it comes to less weight it costs more then gold. Just check out any full race vehicle. Power to weight ratio is really important. Richard Have fun
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Weight is important, true. An 1150GS and 180 lb. rider weigh in at about 730 pounds.

If you cut 13 lbs. you cut the weight by about 1.8%. In first gear our bikes accelerate at about 24 feet/sec-sq. Dropping thirteen pounds increases that to about 24.4 f/s2.

If you boost the fueling by 6-8% it is likely that between 2000 and 3000 rpm, where HP and Torque are low on a stock 1150, you are likely to add 50% to the rate of acceleration.

Here is the effect of 8% more fuel. It's a good bang for the buck between 2000 and 3000 RPM.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
oldfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
akra or remus

I thought this thread was about which pipe to get. Acutually you should do both. Or get really carried away and get an hp2 for less weight, more power, and better suspension. And then do the other stuff. Thats what I did. Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,607
Akra.

Next question.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,423
Keep the OE exhaust, do what Roger suggests and you end up saving a ton of money and increasing performance rather than the other way around.

If you start with the exhaust and remove the CAT, you'll end up eventually getting hardware to enrich the fueling anyway.

Do it the right way, start by enrichening the fueling then if you want more noise, get the exhaust.

Aftermarket exhaust systems are good for two things:

detracting from driveability and lightening your wallet.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post
The other great thing about my akra exhaust is I lost almost 13 lbs of weight with the new system. When it comes to less weight it costs more then gold. Just check out any full race vehicle. Power to weight ratio is really important. Richard Have fun
Great analogy...........how many GS owners race their bikes?

If you really want to mod your GS, save the money of an aftermarket exhaust and install some handlebar streamers....or, better yet, buy your wife some flowers...you'll get much better noise (Heh-heh).

def is online now   Reply With Quote