Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Two $1610

]
Iíve got this set up on mine. Came with the bike so I canít comment on power boost from OEM, but they sound awesome and every BMW rider will look at you when you pull up!
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #32
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I replaced the OEM headers with Remus (no CAT) and later replaced the OEM exhaust with Akra (got the Akra for free). '09 R1200GS. I have ridden extensively with both baffle in and baffle out. On balance I prefer baffle out. Bike runs smoothly and there have been no issues except a little decel popping (not much). Oddly, mileage per the bike's computer has improved somewhat (baffle out -- no improvement noted with baffle in). If there is any performance gain it would probably be to reduced weight of the no CAT and Akra can. Bike feels livlier and runs just fine with no add'l mods needed. ECU adjusted to the set up with no problems.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #33
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Esthetics Trumps Performance and Common Sense is Nowhere to be Found

I too dream of changing my exhaust from end to end. I also dream of modifying both my A/F and ignition maps. I try to convince myself I can't live with the lean conditions that effects certain throttle responses. Back in the day, I started riding in 1965, YOU adjusted to the bike. You didn't go out and buy magic bullets because they didn't exist. If you sit down and think about it, what is it you really can transfer to the way you ride after put on all of this "stuff?" There are some bikes you can make significant improvements to, but IMO the GS AIN'T one of them. To steal from a friend's forum name Just Efn Ride.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
Iíve got this set up on mine. Came with the bike so I canít comment on power boost from OEM, but they sound awesome and every BMW rider will look at you when you pull up!

I wanted the duals like that for mine (2102) but they only made them up to 2009 so I was stuck with the single canister version. Still sounds great but doesnt look as good!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
There are some bikes you can make significant improvements to, but IMO the GS AIN'T one of them.
You can keep telling yourself that. But I saw firsthand what the Akra full-system duals and a PCV did to my friend's '08. Turned it into a fire-breathing beast!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
There are some bikes you can make significant improvements to, but IMO the GS AIN'T one of them.
The R11xx and R12xx is delivered running lean, and as a result it is easy to make significant improvements by adding fuel.

Here is a GS story: Richer Mixtures on R1150GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
You can keep telling yourself that. But I saw firsthand what the Akra full-system duals and a PCV did to my friend's '08. Turned it into a fire-breathing beast!
What every good exhaust manufacturer recommends is to add fuel, which is exactly my point. If you want performance, add some fuel, a $160 upgrade. Then if you want a different look or sound add a $1,000 exhaust.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #37
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
AaaaRRrrrrGGGGGGGGhhHHHhhH IM SO JEALOUS I wish that exhaust fit my bike. SICK LOOK
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
The R11xx and R12xx is delivered running lean, and as a result it is easy to make significant improvements by adding fuel.

Here is a GS story: Richer Mixtures on R1150GS.

What every good exhaust manufacturer recommends is to add fuel, which is exactly my point. If you want performance, add some fuel, a $160 upgrade. Then if you want a different look or sound add a $1,000 exhaust.
You're claiming that the Akra race exhaust adds no power? Sorry, don't buy that anymore than the other guy's claim. He added the PCV just to optimize fueling as the already lean bike runs a lot leaner with the race exhaust.

http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Motorcyc...+%2f+ADVENTURE
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #39
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
You're claiming that the Akra race exhaust adds no power? Sorry, don't buy that anymore than the other guy's claim. He added the PCV just to optimize fueling as the already lean bike runs a lot leaner with the race exhaust.

http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Motorcyc...+%2f+ADVENTURE
If HE isn't, I WILL
I've seen enough independant dyno tests, run under a variety of conditions, to know that without remapping the fuel delivery you loose power with most aftermarket exhaust systems, including Akro.

They can print whatever they want on thier own website, and they can leave out what they want too! The gains they are showing are achieved by adding fuel, along with thier exhaust system. Much of that gain can be had just by adding fuel.
And it's the header and elimination of the cat that does most of the exhaust's part of the improvement. Using the Akro header and Akro single can produces less power than the Akro header with the stock can, while the double silencer is an even match.

Again, to be clear, the power gains come from adding fuel and removing the cat more than anything, and it's fuel mapping by a very wide margine.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #40
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Here's what I'm saying:

—When you richen the mixture on a lean-fueled motorcycle, you get more power at every rpm (even better idle) and throttle position.

—On an R1100 or R1150 you can richen the mixture effectively with either a PC III or Innovate LC-1. Both allow the motorcycle to run closed loop. Closed Loop is a very big benefit, not to be eliminated lightly.

—On an R1200 either a PC III (or V depending on the bike's model year) or an dual LC-1 will richen the mixture. But only the LC-1s allow full Closed Loop operation.

—When you change exhausts (without richening the mixture) you may get a bit more or a bit less air into the combustion chamber. Because of the Motronic or BMSK's ability to adapt, the mixture is no more or less lean, that is set by the O2 sensor. If an exhaust allows a bit more more air flow, it is only effective at high RPMs and at nearly full throttle. That's where the extra horses might be.

—Again assuming that an aftermarket exhaust flows a bit more air at less than full throttle but without richening, I can get the same power/torque on the stock exhaust by opening the throttle a bit more. So the extra airflow, if it exists, is of no benefit at part throttle.

—The aftermarket exhaust companies know that to get meaningful performance benfits you must richen the mixture and that without richening you won't notice an improvement and might even be worse off. So they recommend richening.

—Like many motorcyclists, I like the sound of some motorcycles more than others. If an aftermarket exhaust creates a sound you like, buy it—just don't mix up the sound issue with the benefits of richening or possible increased airflow.

—I like the looks of some aftermarket exhausts.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 11:01 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #41
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Quote:
I will second that, on my 2012 the exhaust, air filter and power commander with a custom dyno tune has made all the difference in the world! I left my 2010 GSA motor bone stock, there is no comparison. People make lots of assumptions based on what they read etc. come take my bike for a ride and then tell me there is no difference.

I did the Akrapovic full race system with no cat but I still have the flapper mod.

If you are in the Portland area come ride it and then tell me there is no difference. You will be amazed.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

I must say though that without a full dyno tune customizing the air fuel ratio mapping you won't get the entire benefit.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
I will second that, on my 2012 the exhaust, air filter and power commander with a custom dyno tune has made all the difference in the world! I left my 2010 GSA motor bone stock, there is no comparison. People make lots of assumptions based on what they read etc. come take my bike for a ride and then tell me there is no difference.

I did the Akrapovic full race system with no cat but I still have the flapper mod.

If you are in the Portland area come ride it and then tell me there is no difference. You will be amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
I must say though that without a full dyno tune customizing the air fuel ratio mapping you won't get the entire benefit.
Being an East Coaster, I probably won't get to Portland for a while, but if you're in Massachusetts, I make the same offer. I'd say we agree that there is a lot of untapped potential in the Boxer motor.

I didn't do exhaust, intake or custom mapping just added fuel. Here's my Dyno comparison--and it rides like it Dynos, lot's of low end.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Arkapovic or Remus

I ran across a almost brand new full Remus for a great price and bought it. I am not sorry. It looks great and I lost the cat and a few pounds..I reckon I can always get my $ back which is rare if you buy and sell after paying retail. Used is probably rare for a 2010 up as they are different. I don't think I would have bought any exhaust for the prices they sell for new. Looking forward to trying the LC-1s. I added the ||CE from poolside and it did what it claimed to do...but I think there's more to be gained. I will find out.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #45
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Being an East Coaster, I probably won't get to Portland for a while, but if you're in Massachusetts, I make the same offer. I'd say we agree that there is a lot of untapped potential in the Boxer motor.

I didn't do exhaust, intake or custom mapping just added fuel. Here's my Dyno comparison--and it rides like it Dynos, lot's of low end.

I am definitely not arguing your point or the gains your bike showed Roger.

I am just saying that the exhaust approach works also and I have seen the difference.