Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #46
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
on my 2012 the exhaust, air filter and power commander with a custom dyno tune has made all the difference in the world!
And you know how much difference each componant made?
I guarantee the exhaust did very little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

I didn't do exhaust, intake or custom mapping just added fuel. Here's my Dyno comparison--and it rides like it Dynos, lot's of low end.

If you don't add fuel you usually loose power by adding an exhaust system.
If you add fuel, you gain power, even if you don't change exhaust. YES, you DO get a little more power with exhaust AND fuel, and mapping. But the increase from the exhaust itself is highly overrated by anecdotal reports, as even people with a loss in power on the dyno often claim "It runs much stronger now" with just a slip-on.
People with dyno verified HP gains have added fuel...all of them. And people whith only exhaust mods and less power often think they have more. The sound is often a placebo effect.

The engine makes power by burning a fuel and air mixture, and the exhaust system does indeed restrict the flow of that mix with back pressure. The problem with aftermarket exhaust vs stock is that, other than the cat itself, there's not much restriction from the stock system. The stock silencer is less restrictive than most aftermarket cans, including Remus and Akro. By far the biggest (if not only) improvement to exhaust flow comes from removing the cat.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #47
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,736
I'm not going to argue the issue, I am happy with it so that's all that matters!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #48
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

"I like it" is a damn good reason for doing it
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #49
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Akra or remus

My bike is one of my favorite toys. I tend to be pretty cheap in general living so when it's time for me to cut loose I go all the way and don't regret it. If the all titanium Akra is what I want I get it. And having one I can tell you it is a work of art. Whatever you want just enjoy it and be happy. You should see my hot rod.......another waste of money I don't regret. Have fun. Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #50
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
A

The engine makes power by burning a fuel and air mixture, and the exhaust system does indeed restrict the flow of that mix with back pressure. The problem with aftermarket exhaust vs stock is that, other than the cat itself, there's not much restriction from the stock system. The stock silencer is less restrictive than most aftermarket cans, including Remus and Akro. By far the biggest (if not only) improvement to exhaust flow comes from removing the cat.
+1 to your last point. And since you can always open the throttle a bit more to get more air into the engine, the only time you get the benefit is in the last several degrees of throttle rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post
My bike is one of my favorite toys. I tend to be pretty cheap in general living so when it's time for me to cut loose I go all the way and don't regret it. If the all titanium Akra is what I want I get it. And having one I can tell you it is a work of art. Whatever you want just enjoy it and be happy. You should see my hot rod.......another waste of money I don't regret. Have fun. Richard
+1 to this too.
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #51
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post

Amen Brother!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #52
FTBTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Just out of curiosity; does replacing the catalytic, thus saving 20 or so pounds, have much of an affect on the center of gravity and handling?

Also, it seems that the best overall improvement would to be add an LC-1 and replace the cat some way, do they just sell headers to replace the cat and keep the rest of the stock exhaust?
FTBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #53
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTBTX View Post
Just out of curiosity; does replacing the catalytic, thus saving 20 or so pounds, have much of an affect on the center of gravity and handling?

Also, it seems that the best overall improvement would to be add an LC-1 and replace the cat some way, do they just sell headers to replace the cat and keep the rest of the stock exhaust?
Yes, both Remus and Akro sell headers without the silencer, and several people here on ADV have an Akro header with stock can. The dyno showed an improvement over the header with the akro can. One thing to consider on this strategy though...see the above posts about "I like it". There is something to be said for the look and sound of the aftermarket muffler, even if IT don't produce quite as much power. There's definitely still the "cool factor"
I don't think the cat weighs 20 lbs, but there is a weight savings. I doubt you'll feel any difference in balence, because the top won't get heavier, but I could be wrong on that one.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #54
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Does anyone have a dyno sheet on a bone stock 2010 to 2012 GS to use as a before comparison??? I have an after with the exhaust etc.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #55
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTBTX View Post

I've heard that the weight savings is on the order of 1-2%. If the cat is located on the centerline of the bike or near to it there shouldn't be an issue. But does 1% better acceleration from weight really make a difference? I would add some fuel and then move to next steps after seeing how the fuel addition went.

You need an LC-1 and Wideband O2 for each narrowband you have now. So an 1100/1150 needs one and the 1200s need two. Remember too that if you go the LC-1 route you will keep full Motronic and BMS-K functionality and won't lose the powerful Closed Loop adaptive fueling features.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #56
Crabpainter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Stock ECU adjustment

Akropovik. Better quality. Wider dealer coverage.
I've been reading various threads about the virtues of the LC1 but being simple is my nature.
Can't the stock computer be "asked" to up the fuel/air ratio?
Probably a dealer operation but I'm thinking if it can be programmed by a factory mechanic for a slipped $50.00 that's the way I'd go. Is the stock equipment capable?
No answers necessary. Just a thought. Don't want to jack the thread.
Crabpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #57
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabpainter View Post
Akropovik. Better quality. Wider dealer coverage.
I've been reading various threads about the virtues of the LC1 but being simple is my nature.
Can't the stock computer be "asked" to up the fuel/air ratio?
Probably a dealer operation but I'm thinking if it can be programmed by a factory mechanic for a slipped $50.00 that's the way I'd go. Is the stock equipment capable?
No answers necessary. Just a thought. Don't want to jack the thread.
Hey Crabpainter, I was told by tech at LS in Austin Tx that stock bike computer could be remapped to compensate for a full no cat Akrapovic exhaust on a 13GSA. I have no clue as to whether he was BSn me or not. I asked about getting them to install one and if they could do the work with PCV , and he said no need he could just have it remapped. Cheers. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #58
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Although the VE tables may be rewrite-able, it would only be to adjust for changes to amount of air in the cylinder--a bit more fuel, a bit less. Even with that done, the stock O2 sensors would keep it lean-fueled at 14.7:1 in the cruising range.

To get the ECU's closed loop program to settle on a richer mixture a Wideband O2 is needed.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #59
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have Remus headers (no CAT) and an Akra single can, baffle out. No remap was needed on my bike ('09 R12GS).
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #60
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,020
a guy I ride with has one of those Akropic or remis pipes on his 1200gs, it sounds like a flatulent suburu when he twists the throttle.

I was agreeing with you! saying go for the LC1 not the fart can exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Huh? The LC-1s give it a husky mellow tone.

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 05:51 PM
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote