Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieXR4 View Post
Rode a 650L the other day, and really wasn't impressed. Maybe it was a difference in gearing, but it just felt like a heaver version of my 400. I have always lusted after the XR650R, and in reading another inmate's ride report, took some advice (always get the one you want). I'm going to look at an R today after work. Wish me luck!
Maybe that's because your 400 is only a couple of horsepower less than a XR650L. I would be willing to bet on a good running XR400 having more horsepower than a well used XR650L.

The XR650L's are damned comfortable though. The stock bars, to me, give it funky ergonomics. But it is only a decent handlebar bend away from a perfectly comfortable bike. Trust me on this, KTM guys always know a good seat when they park their ass on one. And they are awesome tractors if can live with the lack of peak power.

My friend that has an XR650L is thinking DR650 just because he is tired of the anemic engine output and he doesn't do much, if any, hard single track trail riding anymore. A ride on my 640E almost had him sold on buying one from another guy. But I think he is going to end up on the DR650.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 11:05 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
hillbillyhonda
corn fused

Oddometer: 274
I love my 2001 650L. Definitely more fun on the dirt/gravel roads than the pavement. Not any problems running on the road as long as it's not a super long haul. The KLR might be a better choice for the road. The XR650L is a little heavy, but I'm not aggressive off-road, so it's just fine for me. Seems like the single cylinder bikes go through a cam chain in their higher miles; might be the only thing to look for.
hillbillyhonda is offline   Reply With Quote