Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
klrbro OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looking for East Texas ADV rides for beginners

Hi yall!

Im somewhat new to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked many times before.

Anyone know of some good dual sport trips near Longview? I'm looking for some place to get some experience off road, some beginner and possibly intermediate stuff. Looking for either dirt roads or single track, though my experience isn't so great.... maybe more dirt road lol.

Also if there is a free/cheap route to use that would be excellent. Looked at Barnwell Mountain's website, but 30 bucks seems somewhat expensive. Anyone been there / is it worth it as a beginner?

Also, I ride a KLR650 (because im cheap haha) and any tips for getting used to a larger / heavier bike would be appreciated. At this point i think its just about building confidence though.

Thanks!

klrbro screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 11:16 AM
klrbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 626
Google East Texas 450. I'd post up a link, but a single link won't do the topic justice nor help you find all of the GPX files for the route. Long and short, the ET450 is a three day ride from Rusk to Moscow to Toledo Bend and back to Rusk. It's been done by a handful of guys in a day, but that is not a beginner ride, so plan to do parts of it and slab back and forth. Other than 9 mile road near Beans Camp most of it is pretty easy. Just remember the rules of sand are speed and momentum.

m

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,427
Barnwell would be quite challenging on a KLR. Much of the EastTex 450 runs through the National forests with great dirt roads. I would try Sam Houston or Angelina or Davy Crockett for much free riding.

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
klrbro OP
n00b

Thanks,

I've been looking at the east texas 450, looks interesting. Anyone know a good link for maps?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbro View Post
Thanks,

I've been looking at the east texas 450, looks interesting. Anyone know a good link for maps?
it will be GPS routes your looking for and you will find them over on here , under forums go to upcoming rides/trip and do a search for east or east tex

Grits&Gravy screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 10:25 AM
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Grandmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Thanks,

this Link has a .gdp that you can download and load into google earth, and I assume other mapping software.
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Meriden
Yea whatever

Here's an East Texas ride going on next month.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81258

If you get a file that won't load into Google Earth try this software.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

There are a number of guys riding the East Texas area from TWT or Ride Dual Sport. Texas as a pretty big DS community from the Hill Country east, all decent guys. Show up at some of the pie runs and events. Everybody is welcome.

m

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Meriden
Yea whatever

Hey Mudclod,

How much for the KDX? There's a little orange mountain bike out there I can't catch with that Black Forest ham of mine. I need a two stroke.

m

Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,427
Hmmm...orange mountain bike, that sounds like a KTM 200!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Silsvee
n00b

It's cool that the SETX 200 has been mention on ADV Rider. Klrbro and othe,r come join us Feb. 16th. This is my second year to host this ride. The route does take in some of the southern part of the Eastex 450. Hope to see there.
Silsvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silsvee View Post
It's cool that the SETX 200 has been mention on ADV Rider. Klrbro and othe,r come join us Feb. 16th. This is my second year to host this ride. The route does take in some of the southern part of the Eastex 450. Hope to see there.
The Two Wheeled Texan (TWT) site will give you plenty of info and is the best for Texas. Its a little confusing(too cute) at first but you will acclimate in time.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
klrbro OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Its a little confusing(too cute) at first but you will acclimate in time.
glad to know im not the only one that felt this way.

Also whats yall's take on riding gear? i have the essential street stuff (pants, jacket, heavy duty hiking boots) should i invest in some dirt boots / dirt helmet?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
klrbro OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Here's an East Texas ride going on next month.

There are a number of guys riding the East Texas area from TWT or Ride Dual Sport. Texas as a pretty big DS community from the Hill Country east, all decent guys. Show up at some of the pie runs and events. Everybody is welcome.

m
sweet thanks for the info! whats a pie run?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
glad to know im not the only one that felt this way.

Also whats yall's take on riding gear? i have the essential street stuff (pants, jacket, heavy duty hiking boots) should i invest in some dirt boots / dirt helmet?
TWT can be cumbersome to navigate......

Protective gear is always a good choice. It doesn't keep everything from happening in a spill, but if you have proper gear and take a spill on some gravel or plant your foot and the bike keeps going and then wraps your ankle up under the back wheel, tennis shoes or hiking boots aren't gonna protect you as well as a good set of boots. I always look around at the dual sport riders at a rally or local weekend ride and see that 99% of them are wearing proper gear. Go set down at the gas station and look at what the people riding street bikes/Harleys/sport bikes are wearing. It's a 50/50 chance that they only have on shorts, flip flops, and sunglasses.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
Meriden
Yea whatever

A Pie Run is a monthly Two Wheeled Texan's version of a gypsy rally. A bunch of folks from all over the state go to a restaurant in a small town and try to wipe them out of pie, usually successfully. Bunch of rowdies over at TWT. Generally these have informal rides coming in from different areas and campouts associated with them. They try to space them out so that every section of the state has a chance at one.

I second that TWT can be tedious to navigate as many the threads are not related to motorcycles and some of the motorcycle threads extend beyond Texas. Still, it is about as comprehensive as any Texas oriented site you might find. Texas Off Road Network is another forum to keep an eye on.

Have to second the boots, too. A bad pair of motocross boots is way ahead of a good pair of walking/work/street boots, better ankle support and no laces. Dirt/adventure helmet and motocross/adventure boots are the bare minimum gear. Having a helmet that will take a pair of goggles is often better than one with a shield. A helmet that will take a pair of goggles under a shield is my choice. As long as you don't follow too closely a mesh jacket and pants will do.

m