Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
R100 OP
R100 UK

Oddometer: 19
'81 R100 questions from a new member

Firstly hello everyone,

I'm a long time rider and motorcycle wrencher from the UK. I've just bought my first BMW, a 1981 R100. She's in great, well ridden condition with an RS fairing retro-fitted.

For now I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

Firstly, as I've found is common, she has lost her center stand. Being a metal fabricator I was hoping to fab one up but wondered if anyone could give me some dimensions. Distance between the holes, overall height, the difference between the width top and bottom and the diameter of pipe used would be the most useful. I fancy I can make some improvements along the way too but If not I'll take the plunge and buy one.

Secondly can anyone tell me is the older style dual seat (the chunkier one with chrome grab rail from the 70's /7 models) will fit in place of the standard 80's seat used on the R100 and RS/RT models without modification?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
R100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
I think the seat with a chrome grab rail is a /6 item and that does not fit a /7 let alone an '81 bike. You might buy the grab rail and fit it to a seat that fits your bike? I don't really know about '81 seats. I think there are changes about that period. And with the RS fairing you have a seat with a cowling is appropriate?

Plenty of used center stands around. Buy one. Once you find the center stand that fits you can measure it. There is an after market stand made by Reynolds called the Ride Off stand. Some of us really like those and you can usually find one but they aren't made any more. Maybe you could start a business of building Ride Off stands? We might buy a few.

Welcome to the Asylum. You are now one of the Inmates.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
The "mattress" style seat from any early /7 will fit. The mounting is pretty much the same. I took a "mattress" style seat off a 77 R100/7 and installed the cowl seat from an 82 R100. Fit just fine. So going the other way should be just as easy.

As to a centre stand, it would be much easier for you to try and find one on EBay. But, you will have to remember that the 1981 year was a change over year for centre stands and only ones for 81 will fit. I know, as I tried both 1980 and 1982 stands, and could not get them to fit properly on my 81 R100RT. I eventually found a brand new stock stand on EBay that some guy had taken off when new as he had put on the Reynolds Ride-Off stand. I did the opposite, as I prefer the stock stand.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Hey R100
there is a pretty good site over in the land of mushy peas & warm beer.
I daresay there prob would be someone down the street from you with one to have a looksie at.

http://ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 563
If you can get hold of one the later centre stands off of the monolevers are a lot easier to use and fit straight onto the older bikes, I am thinking of the ones with splayed rather than parallel feet, see if you can try one before buying.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I agree that the 81 was a unique year and the center stands were not designed properly. I have a Reynolds ride off on my 81 R100RT. You have to have the proper model number if you want to get a Reynolds stand.

Yes the bench seat will fit on your bike BUT you can not use the seat fairing or the tool tray that is bolted on top of the rear fender.

A friend of mine actually put the bench seat on his 82 RT and cut and fitted the back part of the seat fairing to make it look better. Being the crafty type he also built a set of spoked wheels for the RT along with many other custom touches.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100 View Post
Firstly hello everyone,

Firstly, as I've found is common, she has lost her center stand. Being a metal fabricator I was hoping to fab one up but wondered if anyone could give me some dimensions. Distance between the holes, overall height, the difference between the width top and bottom and the diameter of pipe used would be the most useful. I fancy I can make some improvements along the way too but If not I'll take the plunge and buy one.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Why bother? A new stand on eBay will cost you about 25 so not worth the bother IMO.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
R100 OP
R100 UK

Oddometer: 19
Thanks for the replies. Finding a reasonably priced stand is proving difficult. Motorworks here in the UK seem to supply the right one but want 125 for it which seems a little steep. Are there any other stands that are known to fit or can be modified? How about the R100GS stand which is available for a much more reasonable price?

As for the seat, yes the one that's fitted is correct for the bike but is in a bad way and I've always liked the other style. Am I right in thinking that some R100s still had the older seat in '81? USA models perhaps? This advert from 1981 suggests so. The second pic is what I have fitted at present. Anyone shed any light on this?

R100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,967
That's a Denfield saddle and yes it will fit your '81. They all have the same hinge system. Cowled dual, 3/4 solo RS, and dual with the grab rail will fit the frame/hinges.

Check ebay.uk or www.motobins.co.uk/

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote