User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Jamm OP
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
Zumo 550 mount

Has anyone installed a Zumo 550 on the F800gs using Touratech's mount and a 1200GS crossbar? Any thoughts/comments? I can't use touratechs regular mount for a F800gs as I have HDB's top clamp which doesn't mate up and I don't want to use a ram mount.

I installed it on mine after coaxing the crossbar into a curve to make the fit. This puts the clamps below the bend in the handlebars which are tapered. The clamps don't fit flush due to the taper but seem to be acceptably tight. I used my gorilla hands to try and pull it loose to know avail. Is this something I should worry about or just forget.
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
I used the bracket mount on my Scott's bar risers no problem. I didn't want a crossbar and just got some longer studs to accommodate the length and it worked out fine. If not get a different crossbar or fab something that fits better.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 337
I used a Tech mount when I had the 800. Good mount. Centered and very adjustable. Worth a look for $65
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Jamm OP
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
Maybe I didn't state my case clearly.......

I cannot use Touratech's GPS mount for a F800GS as I have Highway Dirt Bikes top clamp with a Scott's mount. I would need to have special bolts made to make the normal install work. I'm a cheap bastard so I decided to try a Touratech crossbar mount for a 1200GS I had laying around. Bent it at both ends by trial and error and had to make sure the right clamp didn't f*ck with the brake BS otherwise it was pretty easy.

I think it will work great but wanted other opinions since the handlebar clamps mount on the tapered part of the handlebars so contact is not as solid as they would be on untapered bars. The photo angle looks like you cannot see the cluster but I can see everything fine when sitting on the bike.

Anyone done this?
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote