Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #151
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I'm glad to see other brands starting to do well in the series. This brings more money, more fans, and more exposure to the sport. For quite a while now, the series has been more like glorified vintage racing.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #152
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
I'm glad to see other brands starting to do well in the series. This brings more money, more fans, and more exposure to the sport. For quite a while now, the series has been more like glorified vintage racing.

It also brings more racers..... An EX650 based tracker is 1/3 the price of an XR750. You can easily have a back up bike or TT bike also in the stable for the same money. But, with that said, HD is still the only FACTORY with any involvement and has kept the sport alive over the years. I am really surprised that Triumph especially has not jumped in with both feet.... At least 1 bike. The other problem is displacement. It should be an 800 cc rule to reflect what is really out there in production.
Then there is the GREED on the part of DMG. Where are the nice rider purses? Flattrack does not pay enough and forces great riders like Beach and Hayden out to greener pastures.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #153
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
It also brings more racers..... An EX650 based tracker is 1/3 the price of an XR750. You can easily have a back up bike or TT bike also in the stable for the same money. But, with that said, HD is still the only FACTORY with any involvement and has kept the sport alive over the years. I am really surprised that Triumph especially has not jumped in with both feet.... At least 1 bike. The other problem is displacement. It should be an 800 cc rule to reflect what is really out there in production.
Then there is the GREED on the part of DMG. Where are the nice rider purses? Flattrack does not pay enough and forces great riders like Beach and Hayden out to greener pastures.
The purses are paid by the promoters and they were weak well before DMG was on the scene. Rain outs hurt worse than the purse. The Sacramento Mile had a large purse which I'm sure helped after the two rainouts where teams encountered travel expenses for NO money.

Want bigger purses? Pay higher ticket prices and but more products from sponsors. Thats where the larger purse money will come from.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #154
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
It also brings more racers..... An EX650 based tracker is 1/3 the price of an XR750. You can easily have a back up bike or TT bike also in the stable for the same money. But, with that said, HD is still the only FACTORY with any involvement and has kept the sport alive over the years. I am really surprised that Triumph especially has not jumped in with both feet.... At least 1 bike.
Triumph is backing Johnny Lewis on the Latus Bonnie.
Quote:
The other problem is displacement. It should be an 800 cc rule to reflect what is really out there in production.
Off the top of my head there's the BMW F800, the Triumph 800 Tiger, and a Ducati 796(which is really 803cc). No Japanese bikes come readily to mind. How is that reflective of what's really out there?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #155
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
Triumph is backing Johnny Lewis on the Latus Bonnie.

Off the top of my head there's the BMW F800, the Triumph 800 Tiger, and a Ducati 796(which is really 803cc). No Japanese bikes come readily to mind. How is that reflective of what's really out there?
no Japanese bikes??? how about the awesomely fast Kawis that keep winning, based on the ninja/versys motor!!!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #156
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,256
Next year they go back to a 750cc rule so all those Euro bikes you mention (and Lewis's Triumph) are out. It is well planned to favor 1 factory just like always. They should also allow 800cc triples if someone wants to try those. A Japanese 650 is at a disadvantage. So which HD in their line-up of production bikes is a 750? NONE OF THEM! I mean that 800s are the new 750s and are in the marketplace and should be raced. Soon the restrictors will all be off those XR750s and those Kaws will not keep up. I have seen this before. Good for Triumph for keeping at least 1 foot in the game.This is not a "factory effort" like it was defined in the 70s however...or they would be after Smitty, Mees, Halbert to ride for them.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #157
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
no Japanese bikes??? how about the awesomely fast Kawis that keep winning, based on the ninja/versys motor!!!!
True. I was limiting my thinking to just 800cc. But as buls points out a 650 twin should be at a disadvantage due to pure displacement compared to another modern motor at 800cc.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #158
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Next year they go back to a 750cc rule so all those Euro bikes you mention (and Lewis's Triumph) are out. It is well planned to favor 1 factory just like always.
I thought AMA Pro backed off of that plan?
Quote:
This is not a "factory effort" like it was defined in the 70s however...or they would be after Smitty, Mees, Halbert to ride for them.
Well, nothing is a "factory effort" like the early 70's in dirt track anymore :) Even the HD support of...wait, who are they supporting now again? Oh yeah, Kenny Coolbeth Jr. Even that support isn't what it used to be. Certainly doesn't guarantee results lately.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #159
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Next year they go back to a 750cc rule so all those Euro bikes you mention (and Lewis's Triumph) are out. It is well planned to favor 1 factory just like always. They should also allow 800cc triples if someone wants to try those. A Japanese 650 is at a disadvantage. So which HD in their line-up of production bikes is a 750? NONE OF THEM! I mean that 800s are the new 750s and are in the marketplace and should be raced. Soon the restrictors will all be off those XR750s and those Kaws will not keep up. I have seen this before. Good for Triumph for keeping at least 1 foot in the game.This is not a "factory effort" like it was defined in the 70s however...or they would be after Smitty, Mees, Halbert to ride for them.
Johnny Lewis is more than capable of producing the results ANY team would want from their rider. Just my opinion...
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #160
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone at the Indy Mile spotting all the GP VIPs in the paddock?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #161
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Yep.

Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #162
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

^^^ jealous.

Live feed at http://www.amaprolive.com/ft/ RIGHT NOW!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #163
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
Shayna wins again ! Brother Cory as the wrench !

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #164
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

1/2 distance in Indy Expert Main. Smith out front but second through fifth are working together to try to make up the gap. Not sure they will do it.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #165
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
1/2 distance in Indy Expert Main. Smith out front but second through fifth are working together to try to make up the gap. Not sure they will do it.
Couldn't do it. Great race the last few laps with 2-5 riders. Baker made the podium. :
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote