Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #121
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,263
great footage, wow, on that first lap, the onboard camera really shows how deep Brad was going into the corners, that was the race right there.
I agree, Brad is a great guy, always takes time to talk with you. wish I could have been there to see his first win.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #122
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
What a nice kid, but I guess they all really are. He was so pumped to win his first race, and the interviews he gave were very heartfelt, not the usual party line BS that multi-time winners seem to perfect. I hope there are many more wins in his future.

There was a large crowd last night, and the singles races were hotly contested. The singles main saw a real duel for first between two riders. Nice evening once the heat abated a bit, and some great racing.

Barry and the boys did an excellent job putting -Oon the show. The announcing team really seems to click, and they alternate between some informative reporting of rules explanation, etc., while getting some timely interviews and pit reports. Well done to everyone involved, it was a pleasure to listen to that quality of work.
Can I simply say "thank you so much". It really is great that you enjoy our work. After 5 years on the flat track tour I can honestly say that Scottie and I have never had a cross word and get more comfortable with our roles all the time. We are starting a flat track internet radio show and the first live episode is this evening at 7 pm Eastern. Just log on at www.nextmotochampion.com and click on the live flat track show. It should be fun. We may have a few rough edges on our first one. You really should have stopped in to say hello at Hagerstown.

Headed to Mid Ohio for road race this weekend. Thanks again for your comments. Any suggestions for how to make it better?
Barry
Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #123
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,103
Kentucky.... You 2 guys do a great job informing the spectators what is going on. I always make the Springfield Mile in Sept. I think the Mile races allow you time to talk while the bikes are on the back of the course better. Those crazy kids on those 450s are thrilling are they not? The race programs could use a few less interviews though. I know we want people to know about riders and sponsors but a 5 hr. long raceday gets to be a bit much. So my criticism is of the system guiding the race program much more than the announcing.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #124
kirk69er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
this saturday night

http://www.sacramentoflattrack.com/
and i think that the AMA opening the restriction up on the H-D
is only gonna help a bit. the #42 is still a rocket ship. kool video
from last years race.. hopefully they learn from their mistakes. man,
throw some water down on that track. aint no fun racin' ina dust bowl.
have fun.
kk#38
kirk69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #125
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,952
Shayna wins again !

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #126
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Just back from the Sacramento Mile. Fantastic racing all night. Hope some of you caught the live stream.

Both Mains were fantastic. The sell-out crowd went completely nuts for Shayna Texter's win. Everyone on their feet and screaming for the last few laps, the victory lap and even during the podium. Expert Twins main was thrilling, too.

I volunteered again this year and was able to get very close to the action. There is just nothing else like a flat track mile.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #127
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,998
I caught a ride to the Sac Mile as well last night,its the best Ive seen that track yet,there were a few holes but a groove developed around them and the racing went very smoothly,1 simple slide out crash all night was it.
Bryan Smith's Kawasaki is pretty damn fast,he got shoved off the kinda narrow groove twice in the main while leading,went back to 5th and just worked his way back up and blew by Mees and the other fast guys.

A couple times he wound that thing up and went by the Harleys so fast it was amazing,Mees would get a nice draft going behind Smith only to have the Kawi pull away and leave him in open air.

It didnt look like the dust was much of a problem really,they didnt have to fool with the track all night and the races were great!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #128
kirk69er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Smith.. passed all four riders to regain the lead on turn three of lap 24..

kirk69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #129
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk69er View Post

It was pretty spectacular,Smith had a knack of not shutting off much for corners which may have played into his results.

I forgot to mention the Triumph,qualified fastest and went fast all night long, Michael Martin being in the drivers seat of it.

Flattrack is truly becoming a multi brand sport,bunch of Kawis in the pits,couple Triumphs,couple Ducatis, makes the whole show more interesting.

The Ron Wood Rotax/BMW was there but had some sort of problems early on. Beautiful bike regardless,Ron has always built some amazing bikes.

Cant wait for Santa Rosa!

Foot dragger screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 11:04 AM
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #130
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
#44 is Brandon Robinson on a Kawasaki. Mikey Martin's Triumph is #91. He seemed to have bike issues in the main and the Dash but, as mentioned, went well in qualifying and his heat. Martin won the main at Lodi Friday night among a sea of national racers showing up for the $10,000 purse.

I was lucky enough to attend both nights of racing and I'm still buzzed. Wish we could have a lot more weekends like this.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #131
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Kentucky.... You 2 guys do a great job informing the spectators what is going on. I always make the Springfield Mile in Sept. I think the Mile races allow you time to talk while the bikes are on the back of the course better. Those crazy kids on those 450s are thrilling are they not? The race programs could use a few less interviews though. I know we want people to know about riders and sponsors but a 5 hr. long raceday gets to be a bit much. So my criticism is of the system guiding the race program much more than the announcing.
Help me understand because I appreciate your input very much. Are you talking about interviews in Opening Ceremonies or the post race winner interv iews? Our Opening Ceremonies is always exactly 30 minutes long and begins before the scheduled first race by exactly 30 minutes. Can't do anything about giving the sponsors a chance to welcome the fans. They are the check writers that keep us moving around the country. We always think its important for the winners to get a chance to speak so the fans get to know the stars and the rides get to thank their sponsors.
Barry

Post Script: Our package begins with Opening Ceremonies generally at 7pm. It ends after the Expert Main which is at 10:30. Our program is 3.5 hours including Opening Ceremonies. Unless you are including timed practice qualifying earlier in the day.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #132
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Help me understand because I appreciate your input very much. Are you talking about interviews in Opening Ceremonies or the post race winner interv iews? Our Opening Ceremonies is always exactly 30 minutes long and begins before the scheduled first race by exactly 30 minutes. Can't do anything about giving the sponsors a chance to welcome the fans. They are the check writers that keep us moving around the country. We always think its important for the winners to get a chance to speak so the fans get to know the stars and the rides get to thank their sponsors.
Barry

Post Script: Our package begins with Opening Ceremonies generally at 7pm. It ends after the Expert Main which is at 10:30. Our program is 3.5 hours including Opening Ceremonies. Unless you are including timed practice qualifying earlier in the day.
You have to be concerned for the folks getting home at the end of the races. yes, many of us do get there for hotlaps and that is part of the day. I think talking to LCQ winners is overkill and there is a lot of useless banter from local (say Ford dealerships or MC SuperStore) reps during the day. If you are track watering that is OK. but THINK about us just sitting there waiting for something to happen. That is all I ask. Too often this seems disjointed and just nothing is happening. Like having the MotorMaids spend a half hour on the track or the people who payed to take a lap. This stuff is not racing and is a lot of "fluff". Springfield does not need to take until 5 PM to finish each day. That is a lot more than 3.5 hrs. It may be the exception though because it is the Grand Daddy of them all. I just want there to be concern for it to keep moving. I remember 1 yr at Springfield where there were big storm clouds on the horizon. The program went on according to script... no sense of urgency at all. they got lucky and just got the races in.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #133
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk69er View Post
http://www.sacramentoflattrack.com/
and i think that the AMA opening the restriction up on the H-D
is only gonna help a bit. the #42 is still a rocket ship. kool video
from last years race.. hopefully they learn from their mistakes. man,
throw some water down on that track. aint no fun racin' ina dust bowl.
have fun.
kk#38
Not going to help at all if you ride a brand other than HD. Once again we will have the top 10 bikes be H-Ds. more pandering to Harley....and the Harley faithful.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #134
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You have to be concerned for the folks getting home at the end of the races. yes, many of us do get there for hotlaps and that is part of the day. I think talking to LCQ winners is overkill and there is a lot of useless banter from local (say Ford dealerships or MC SuperStore) reps during the day. If you are track watering that is OK. but THINK about us just sitting there waiting for something to happen. That is all I ask. Too often this seems disjointed and just nothing is happening. Like having the MotorMaids spend a half hour on the track or the people who payed to take a lap. This stuff is not racing and is a lot of "fluff". Springfield does not need to take until 5 PM to finish each day. That is a lot more than 3.5 hrs. It may be the exception though because it is the Grand Daddy of them all. I just want there to be concern for it to keep moving. I remember 1 yr at Springfield where there were big storm clouds on the horizon. The program went on according to script... no sense of urgency at all. they got lucky and just got the races in.
This is usefull conversation. If you go to amaproracing.com, click on flat track, then click on schedule, click on the event there will be an event pdf file that details the schedule for the entire program. It is a minute by minute. The event starts with opening ceremonies say at 7. They are always exactly 30 minutes in duration with first race at 7:30. There are two 10 minute intermissions. These are specifically placed where they are to assist timing and scoring in producing lineups and for track prep. There are times when a 10 or 15 minute additional break is required to wait for the sun if it is blinding riders in a section of the track. Typically there is no sun break. Promoters need those 10 minute breaks to sell concessions as well and they will insist upon it.

If Scottie and I are interviewing or filling it is never about the interviews. We are simply filling the time that has been created by a situation like a red flag, track prep or some other issue. We have never delayed the minute by minute schedule for the purpose of interviewing anyone including sponsors. We monitor our officials on their channel to determine when they are ready to go and respond accordingly. Dirt is a bit different than pavement too. A slight bit too much water requires an additional 5 minutes or so for wind and sun to do its job. Too little creates life threatening visibility issues or uncomfortable conditions for the crowd depending on wind. Steve Morehead is truly a doctor of dirt and seldom gets it wrong.

Even the before the show timed practice is on the Minute X Minute. We typically get finished early but even when we do the show can't start until the advertised start time because fans who arrived on time would have missed part of the show...not good believe me.

Many times the rider who wins an LCQ or Semi will have earned the only podium he will have all year long. It would be a shame to deprive them of the two or three minutes it takes to congratulate them and give them a chance to mention the hard to get sponsors that support them all year long. We have an on time accuracy that is seldom off by more than 5 minutes one way or the other of the 3.5 (including Opening Ceremonies of :30) program. Start at 7 and end at 10:30.

Over the last 5 years we have hit that schedule nearly every time. Most tracks have a 10 or 10:30 curfew so it is important. One person on our road crew records the sequence of events of everything that happens and exactly when it starts and finishes. These are reviewed by all and we are pretty much spot on. Just remember, if you are listening to Scottie and I babble on...it is because we are attempting to entertain while waiting for the next thing to occur. They have never held up a race program for us to do anything. :-)
Barry
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #135
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
This is usefull conversation. If you go to amaproracing.com, click on flat track, then click on schedule, click on the event there will be an event pdf file that details the schedule for the entire program. It is a minute by minute. The event starts with opening ceremonies say at 7. They are always exactly 30 minutes in duration with first race at 7:30. There are two 10 minute intermissions. These are specifically placed where they are to assist timing and scoring in producing lineups and for track prep. There are times when a 10 or 15 minute additional break is required to wait for the sun if it is blinding riders in a section of the track. Typically there is no sun break. Promoters need those 10 minute breaks to sell concessions as well and they will insist upon it.

If Scottie and I are interviewing or filling it is never about the interviews. We are simply filling the time that has been created by a situation like a red flag, track prep or some other issue. We have never delayed the minute by minute schedule for the purpose of interviewing anyone including sponsors. We monitor our officials on their channel to determine when they are ready to go and respond accordingly. Dirt is a bit different than pavement too. A slight bit too much water requires an additional 5 minutes or so for wind and sun to do its job. Too little creates life threatening visibility issues or uncomfortable conditions for the crowd depending on wind. Steve Morehead is truly a doctor of dirt and seldom gets it wrong.

Even the before the show timed practice is on the Minute X Minute. We typically get finished early but even when we do the show can't start until the advertised start time because fans who arrived on time would have missed part of the show...not good believe me.

Many times the rider who wins an LCQ or Semi will have earned the only podium he will have all year long. It would be a shame to deprive them of the two or three minutes it takes to congratulate them and give them a chance to mention the hard to get sponsors that support them all year long. We have an on time accuracy that is seldom off by more than 5 minutes one way or the other of the 3.5 (including Opening Ceremonies of :30) program. Start at 7 and end at 10:30.

Over the last 5 years we have hit that schedule nearly every time. Most tracks have a 10 or 10:30 curfew so it is important. One person on our road crew records the sequence of events of everything that happens and exactly when it starts and finishes. These are reviewed by all and we are pretty much spot on. Just remember, if you are listening to Scottie and I babble on...it is because we are attempting to entertain while waiting for the next thing to occur. They have never held up a race program for us to do anything. :-)
Barry
Springfield is not a night race and there is clearly no curfew so it may be an aberration. While it is tradition to bring some things back year after year some of those have lost their meaning. For instance, it was once "unusual" for women to ride motorcycles so MotorMaids were introduced into the program. It is no longer unusual for women to ride great amounts of miles to your events. Those times when they are out there are times that should be spent racing.
The same can be said for the people that pay to take laps on their street bikes on the track. It is nice that this goes to some charity or some such but to me this drags the program out even farther. This could be done after the races are over as well as going into the pits to visit with the riders could be done then.
Scoring used to be done manually. Now we all know that transponders and their programs can take care of this function. The line-up is not what makes that intermission so long. It has to be planned that way like you say so eloquently. I realize that a red flag situation, dust problem or safety hazard will rightfully stop the program. The racing is excellent and goes quickly. It is the "fluff" that takes time while riders (I used to be one of them) sit around in their hot leathers all day waiting to race and spectators around me yell "let's get racing". Maybe my opinion is really a minority one but I don't think so. All these races could be done in 3 hrs with the right planning.