ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Garberville / Zenia / 36 - Forest Roads...

My buddy and I are doing our first trip north from Santa Rosa to Cresent City, then on to Astoria. I've found what I believe to be some dirt roads up in an area east of Garberville.

The planned route is 101 to Garberville then over to Zenia Bluff Rd to a Forest Route 2508, connecting to Lassie Lookout Rd then winding our way north to Van Duzen, 1N10 and then connecting to 36 to find our way back to 101.

Questions:

Are these roads 800GS and KLR friendly (loaded with 4 days camp gear)?

Are we going to get shot at, hunted by locals or made to star in a updated version of the Deliverance?

There looks to be a small water crossing at Van Duzen and FR 1N10.
With the major lack or rain lately - is this still the case?

Anyone have any better recommendations?

Hopefully I can add some fireroad pron to the post next week..

Thanks in advance..

Planned route

2012 F800GS

cuonawv screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 10:58 PM
cuonawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
These roads should be no problem,mostly semi rough pavement with some gravel stretches that dont amount to much.

As long as you arent straying down sketchy looking sideroads you wont have any problems with medicinal herb growers.

Van Duzen pops out on 36 close to Mad River,lunch can be had there at the trailer with a roof over it. Just the other side of Mad River FS1 takes off and goes to hiway 299,another great road,56 miles with almost no straight sections.

Have fun post pics!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Contact member Twilight, he knows the roads as good as anybody.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Any chance you can post the route to share with the rest of us?

When looking at it in Google Maps, click on the "Link" icon on the top left (looks like a few chain links) then click the "Short URL" box and you'll end up with a nice short link to the page but with everything still there to share with others when they click on that URL.

I'm working on collecting the good dirt routes in the Sierras and every little bit helps.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Route

Here's what I've planned that's off of 101. (Google Link Here)

111 miles - roughly 40 of which are dirt.

Dirt Route (Link)

2012 F800GS

cuonawv screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 08:25 PM Reason: Fixed Link
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Something doesn't work quite right when I click on the links in your message, but I was able to extract what I need. Thanks for sharing.

Short links for the two above:
http://goo.gl/maps/K2wYj
http://goo.gl/maps/56sr2
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
"The planned route is 101 to Garberville then over to Zenia Bluff Rd to a Forest Route 2508, connecting to Lassie Lookout Rd then winding our way north to Van Duzen, 1N10 and then connecting to 36 to find our way back to 101."

>"Questions:
Are these roads 800GS and KLR friendly (loaded with 4 days camp gear)?"

Yes... the Lassics road is nice... if you go that way, be sure to 'climb' Mt. Lassic. (couple hundred yards walk up the west side of the mtn)

>"Are we going to get shot at, hunted by locals or made to star in a updated version of the Deliverance?"

Likely not. Growers are maintaining a very 'relaxed' posture. (so far. but the feds might be screwing things up)

>"There looks to be a small water crossing at Van Duzen and FR 1N10.
With the major lack or rain lately - is this still the case?"

South water crossing on the Lassics... probably no problem at this time of year. East side had a little drop off, but not too bad.

That said...

There is major road construction on the Van Duzen road... (Lassic to Hwy 36) lots of trucks etc. Not sure if that road is open or not... or might have some delays.

If you're going to ride that country... ride FH1! All time world-class ride.

IMHO: South of Ruth, go to Cedar Camp (up the ridge), take Horse Ridge Lookout Road North to Hwy 36. Cross Hwy 36 (north) and take FS1. Stay on pavement till 299. Or you could go Pelletreau ridge to Hyampom... or... or I guess lots of rides... too many to list.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Let us know how it goes. Headed that way next month and always looking for good FS type roads in NorCal to explore on the big bike.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 807
FS-1 is a cool road

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

I can't seem to find FS1 on any map/topo. Is that short for something (fire sevice, freaking supreme, etc)?

What or what does it connect to?

2012 F800GS

cuonawv screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 09:29 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuonawv View Post
I can't seem to find FS1 on any map/topo. Is that sort for something (fire sevice, freaking supreme, etc)?

What or what does it connect to?
Forest Service Rd 1.... takes off north from 36 where the Mad River crosses 36, just east of Van Duzen Rd. You will also see it on maps as South Fork Mt Rd which later turns into Titlow Hill Rd.

Just look for the salmon colored christian church building on the north side of 36 and take the road next to it. It is a continuous ribbon of asphalt all the way to 299.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
If your on Hwy 299 FS1/Titlow Hill Road is 10 miles West of Willow Creek at Berry Summit, there's a large CalTrans sand storage building at the turn off.

Mad River Burger Bar for food if your on Hwy 36 end of FS1/South Fork
Mountain Road.

I did that road for the first time last summer, well worth it. At the end of this last April I tried it from the Hwy 36 side and got turned around by snow about 20 miles up.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
If your on Hwy 299 FS1/Titlow Hill Road is 10 miles West of Willow Creek at Berry Summit, there's a large CalTrans sand storage building at the turn off.

Mad River Burger Bar for food if your on Hwy 36 end of FS1/South Fork
Mountain Road.

I did that road for the first time last summer, well worth it. At the end of this last April I tried it from the Hwy 36 side and got turned around by snow about 20 miles up.
FS1 goes up to 5500' I believe,Ive been told the ocean can be seen from the high points,too much cloud or fog to check it out when Ive been on it. FS1 tends to have some potholes and gravel but not bad.

A friend and I are heading out tomorrow,probably to Black Rock/Mill Creek or Mineral,going up past Cohassett to start with.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Dang, that was fun. We pulled off 101 in Garberville, gassed up and went east on Alderpoint rd, then to Zenia. (Zenia is a blast) crazy drivers, awesome, then instantly not so awesome sections of blacktop, random road construction. Zenia kept us on our toes.

Found the first fire road, which lead to the nicest paved FS road I've ever seen. We took a left onto Lassie lookout (fun bits of dirt there).

We followed the map above precisely which took 2.5 hours (with breaks) and came back to 101 via 36. Ahhhh, 36.. bikers must have built that road.

All and all, it was a great detour for loaded down, noob riders like us.

On a side note, I was using an App on my andriod called View Ranger which worked great. The downloaded "recreation" maps meant I didn't need a signal, it had all the fire roads and trails we found and the accuracy was fantastic

2012 F800GS

cuonawv screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 11:30 AM
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
"The planned route is 101 to Garberville then over to Zenia Bluff Rd to a Forest Route 2508, connecting to Lassie Lookout Rd then winding our way north to Van Duzen, 1N10 and then connecting to 36 to find our way back to 101."

>"Questions:
Are these roads 800GS and KLR friendly (loaded with 4 days camp gear)?"

Yes... the Lassics road is nice... if you go that way, be sure to 'climb' Mt. Lassic. (couple hundred yards walk up the west side of the mtn)

>"Are we going to get shot at, hunted by locals or made to star in a updated version of the Deliverance?"

Likely not. Growers are maintaining a very 'relaxed' posture. (so far. but the feds might be screwing things up)

>"There looks to be a small water crossing at Van Duzen and FR 1N10.
With the major lack or rain lately - is this still the case?"

South water crossing on the Lassics... probably no problem at this time of year. East side had a little drop off, but not too bad.

That said...

There is major road construction on the Van Duzen road... (Lassic to Hwy 36) lots of trucks etc. Not sure if that road is open or not... or might have some delays.

If you're going to ride that country... ride FH1! All time world-class ride.

IMHO: South of Ruth, go to Cedar Camp (up the ridge), take Horse Ridge Lookout Road North to Hwy 36. Cross Hwy 36 (north) and take FS1. Stay on pavement till 299. Or you could go Pelletreau ridge to Hyampom... or... or I guess lots of rides... too many to list.

Thanks Twilight - your recommendations were spot on..

Van Duzen is under construction and we had a few minute wait, but well worth it (fresh twisty blacktop)..

Our next trip will be through there, East on 36 up then to 44 (Lassen) then back North to Shasta on 89/44 (I simply could not believe the milse of fire roads/single track up there)..

Anywhooo - thanks again!

Cheers,
Sam

2012 F800GS