ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,300
Planning My PHX Trip

Already planning my annual pilgrimage to the Phoenix area for February. Renting a Harley again. My home bike is a GS, so this is the only chance I get t wear all the neat Harley stuff my wife keeps buying me. LOL. Had a great time last year. Met some cool folks. This time, no plans. Just pick up the bike in Scottsdale and go. Looking for ideas. What NOT to miss. Pure pavement though, thanks. Did Tombstone, Bisbee, Sedona, last year. Might even hit Texas or New Mexico this year. Would really like to meet some of you FF's.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,480
I don't think you should miss the 89a road from just south of flagstaff through oak creek canyon to Sedona and on up to Jerome and beyond about 10 miles. the ride over mingus mountain after Jerome is incredible!
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 22,862
Texas?

for what? Big Bend? It's a long ways out.

Problem I see with riding in February is that the cool stuff up in the mountains is gonna be pretty cold. Maybe a trip out the the Salton Sea?
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
sonoran
subsonic
 
sonoran's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Valle del Sol
Oddometer: 21,555
He's Canoodian, prolly well used to riding in cold.

Take a ride up to see the Grand Canyon then up to Monument Valley.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
You can't go to other parts of your city because you are a giant vagina in a Men's Warehouse suit.

the sun does not have no prisoners
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
MountainGoatMyke
Adventurer
 
MountainGoatMyke's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder City, NV
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
I don't think you should miss the 89a road from just south of flagstaff through oak creek canyon to Sedona and on up to Jerome and beyond about 10 miles. the ride over mingus mountain after Jerome is incredible!


+1 on this route !
__________________
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir. 1901
MountainGoatMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
skysailor OP
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
He's Canoodian, prolly well used to riding in cold.

Take a ride up to see the Grand Canyon then up to Monument Valley.
I couldn't do the northern loop last year (did Prescott, Sedona etc., the year before on a 1200GS) because of ice on the highways. But, generally speaking, I don't mind temps in the high 40's or low 50's......last year was a wee bit cool....even for me.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I couldn't do the northern loop last year (did Prescott, Sedona etc., the year before on a 1200GS) because of ice on the highways. But, generally speaking, I don't mind temps in the high 40's or low 50's......last year was a wee bit cool....even for me.
Lyle
Exactly what I'm saying. i'm accustomed to the heat. But if I'm escaping Phoenix in the summer, why would I want to go someplace hot?

The 89A is a fantastic road.

If you do decide to go for the mountains, weather permitting here's a nice big loop. Spread it out over 3 days, take pics and enjoy. If it's too cold you could always cut the Alpine Loop out (which gets a decent amount of snow in the winter) and head straight down the 77 to Show Low from Holbrook to get to the Salt River Canyon (Route 60). or check out the Petrified Forest since you'll be close by.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kevinsterner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Already planning my annual pilgrimage to the Phoenix area for February. Renting a Harley again. My home bike is a GS, so this is the only chance I get t wear all the neat Harley stuff my wife keeps buying me. LOL. Had a great time last year. Met some cool folks. This time, no plans. Just pick up the bike in Scottsdale and go. Looking for ideas. What NOT to miss. Pure pavement though, thanks. Did Tombstone, Bisbee, Sedona, last year. Might even hit Texas or New Mexico this year. Would really like to meet some of you FF's.
Lyle
If the weather allows the Grand Canyon is a must see.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE 449 (Current Bike)
2011 Kawasaki 650 KLR (Current Bike)
2013 Honda CRF 250 L
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
skysailor OP
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,300
Bike booked. 14th to the 24th. Ten days with NO snow (I hope). Busy checking out routes. Hope to do beer with at least a couple of you local FF's
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
CrownRoyal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CrownRoyal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Mesa,AZ
Oddometer: 136
Salt River Canyon and Rocky Point, Mexico. Great places to go. Rocky point is only 4 hours away from the Valley.
__________________
08 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
13 KTM 690 Enduro R
Mesa, Arizona
"Hold my whiskey and watch this"
CrownRoyalADV.wordpress.com
CrownRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
MitchG
Iron Collector
 
MitchG's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Simpson, NT
Oddometer: 419
More info on Rocky please. Bike is stored in Phoenix for winter riding and Mexico sounds good if the weather turns.
__________________
Life is short, don't waste it....now get out there!
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014