Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #61
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
I at one time worked for a pet food manufacturer and we used Purina as the golds standard, if our foods could match Purina we were happy. We found no other maker was able to beat Purina.
and to ans what do I feed our dog I am feeding her about 1.5 lb of Beneful brand dry Puppy Food a day. She is a very active 40 lb 8 month puppy.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #62
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1 View Post
I also feed him some raw veggies daily. He loves cucumbers, radishes, carrots, cabbage, kale stems, broccoli, cauliflower, and apples
my poor dog had some weird meltdown where he lost appetite and had some inflammatory response so he could barely walk . It seems the Newmans dry messed him up because after transitioning off it he got better. After reading about all the junk in commercial foods i tried to make my own but the organ meat etc was too disgusting to deal with and no cheaper, dog loved it though. Finally i tried some Sojos raw dehydrated and that actually has recognizable things in the ingredients so i'm thinking it's good stuff but has to be ordered online to make it cost effective.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #63
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,744
An interesting article from The Washington Post a week ago.

Why dogs evolved from wolves.

Still probably shouldn't give your dog too many grains, though.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #64
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511

Expensive stuff, but a cup in the morning and a cup at night keeps both of my 50-60 pound dogs well fed and full of energy.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #65
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1 View Post
I But unless the labels are laying, premium dog food usually has no grains and less of the cheaper stuff, like it will have more chicken instead of chicken meal or chicken by product. So to me it doesn't really matter which premium food I get, the brand name and label means nothing to me, as long as I get the right set of ingredients.
But what's the right ingredient set? ie you say above that chicken is better than chicken meal, but: :
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosi...out-meat-meal/

I suspect we overcomplicate this. Get something they like, that they do well with. If they're not doing well or don't like it, try something else. We use natural balance ultra, fwiw...
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #66
bugfnnuts
Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer: 956
Bugwife is a veterinarian and has some pretty good opinions on food. First any of the premium brands are good food. They will all provide good nutrition to most dogs.

We went to the Science Diet factory. The place is spotless. If a piece of food drops on the floor it isn't put back on the belt but thrown away. Most of the premium brands have this level of quaility no matter where they are located. Yes, you would eat there because it is that clean.

The new holistic d or so called organic or all natural foods are primarily a marketing gimmick. They can call a food organic if has only one organic ingredient. It can have the same fillers as any other food but because of that one item they can market it differently. Pretty much bullshit. It certainly won't hurt you dog but it isn't some miracle food.

Top foods from Purina, Canidae, Science Diet or any of the other high end producers are good food. I wouldn't feed Old Roy to a dog I hated. The low end stuff is low end for a reason. It is absolute shit.

Food allergies can be a problem and are not uncommon. In that case any of the non allergenic prescription foods or a change to a food without say chicken or some other item can also work. It all depends what the animal is allergic to. Figuring that out can be a frustrating process. The patient can't tell you the problem so you have to look for it.

Soooooo, get'em any of the premium foods and you should be fine.

"Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over" Fabrizio Meoni

A challenge for those who go. A dream for those who stay behind. " Thierry Sabine
bugfnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #67
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 648
I feed my rottweiler any small child he is able to chase down himself.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #68
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
I feed my rottweiler any small child he is able to chase down himself.

Thanks Pal I now have to clean spaghetti off my screen. Muttley thanks you too as he gets to clean up the spaghetti that missed the screen and made it to the floor!

Other than Italian food Muttley and Hanna seem to thrive on Blue Buffalo mixed with a little bit of Trader Joes wet food. I have been giving them Trader Joes wet food (Beef Chicken or Lamb) ever since the majority of wet foods was pulled off the market during the "Chinese are poisoning your dog" episode a number of years ago. One of the very few foods not impacted was the TJ brand and it was duly noted.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #69
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
We were feeding the Orijen, but even with every 13th bag free the cost became prohibitive at $62 per bag. Our dogs eat more than 2 bags a month. Recently we switched to Earthborn Holistic at $45 per bag. The dogs prefer their bison meal food which compares closely to the Orijen in protein, fat and calories.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #70
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
you really hate your dog and want him to get salmonella?
You know that dogs digestive systems are different than ours, right?

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #71
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,207
dog food industry is such scam IMO.
Niko went from very expensive dog food to $20 for 36lbs Pedigree.
He's the same crazy mofo, swim in freezing water, run, jump and play dead like no other..

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #72
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Boozehound
the main course is Purina, and a weekly pig ear if she's been good. (yeah, she always gets her treat)
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #73
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,806
We fed a variety of foods over the years. Lilly, who adopted us in July 2000, was fed Pedigree dry and canned, as were the 3 other mutts in the house. They passed on and she got older so we started to look for something different. Tried Iams, Science Diet, Blue Buffalo and would probably still be feeding BB but she went into renal failure while being boarded at the vet Xmas 2011. I did some online research and found 5 Leaf Pet Pharmacy at http://caninekidneyhealth.com/

We did the tinctures and made the food and her BUN went from 90 to 30. She is still with us a year later.

Now days, we use Fresh Pet due to it being preservative free and it's a whole lot easier tan making her food every 3 days. Call me lazy if you want.

The funny thing is that the vet didn't want to know how we got her BUN to o down so much in two months. Too much of a paradigm shift.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #74
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
dog food industry is such scam IMO.
Niko went from very expensive dog food to $20 for 36lbs Pedigree.
He's the same crazy mofo, swim in freezing water, run, jump and play dead like no other..
I'm not sure that different dog foods make a big difference... But that doesn't mean it's necessarily a scam. Humans can also eat a bunch of cheap crap and perform well, but that doesn't mean the crap isn't crap...
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #75
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppurz View Post
I used to feed my dogs purina pro plan, but switch to the costco band at half the cost. My bitches seem to be doing just fine on the cheaper stuff.
Beautiful dogs, My shorthair is a bit bigger, and I really miss my Labs, the Lab/beagle mutt I have is a great dog but just not a lab.

on the subject of dog food, I had dogs do great on Tops 21%, it was $15 for 50lbs, had small kibble and few ingrediants. I stopped using it when my Labs got old and started haveing some problems.

My dogs are free fed, I fill the bowls every evening and they eat what they want. There is always some left, and neither are Real fat (the mentioned shorthair is about 65lbs, and doesn't run as much because of bad knees)

In my experience dogs will do ok on any commercial food, some of them will do better on "Better" foods I had a Jack Russell that had a lot of skin irritation until I started feeding her Iams (low rating on that site)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: