User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #121
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 761
Well, i did use whatever was on sale.. after reading this thread and that website, i am now feeding them taste of the wild. the only one i've tried so far is the plains fowl, but based on how they wolfed that down, i wouldn't be supprised if they like all the other flavors as well!
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #122
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I'm intrigued by the 4Health brand sold at Tractor Supply. Its $36.99 for a 35 pound bag! One of the blends gets 5 stars on PetFood Advisor. Most of the rest their blends get 4 stars.
It looks to be Tractor Supply's premium offering. I'm going to give it a try the next round. That's better than 2 bucks a pound for some of the others.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #123
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,907
Aren't the evaluations on PetFoodAdvisor.com sponsored by...pet food companies?
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #124
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Aren't the evaluations on PetFoodAdvisor.com sponsored by...pet food companies?

There's petfoodadvisor.com and dogfoodadvisor.com. Dogfoodadvisor.com is the more popular of the two. If you believe what is on the internet, there is a disclosure page to make your own conclusions; http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/discla...nd-disclosure/. Then there's this 8-page debate on scam.com discussing whether or not the dogfoodadvisor.com, is a sham. You be the judge: http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=163221

Petfoodadvisor.com simply redirects to sponsored links

groop screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 02:36 PM
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #125
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 645
Currently I'm feeding them Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Lamb and Rice formula, but the younger pointer seems to be developing an allergy, so I'm looking for something else. I used to feed the old guy Natures Choice senior food, but I moved him over to the NB because it was easier to manage. The one thing odd about the NB is that it gives them rock hard poops - seems like it must hurt!

The old dude just turned 17!

el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #126
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post

The old dude just turned 17!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #127
Bueller
Cashin?

Today I made the decision to move my 2nd oldest dog from Acana to a raw diet. She's always been on the neurotic side, and would often lick the air, the couch, blankets, etc., when she would get stressed. I've done a decent amount of reading about potential food sensitivities and allergies, which was the motivation to move my dogs to Acana from Science diet about a year and a half ago. But in addition to the licking, this dog has started to puke up a bit of kibble in the middle of the night about once every week and a half. After reading that it could be an issue of the kibble absorbing too much water from her intestines we tried soaking the kibble for about 45 minutes before feeding. It seemed to help at first, but she got sick twice last night. So I purchased Primal raw Chicken formula today. Holy shit, that stuff is expensive! But if she stops getting sick and/or having other symptoms of food intolerance I suppose a raw diet is cheaper than a vet bill.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #128
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Holy shit, that stuff is expensive! l.
if you go the freeze dried raw route this place is typically much less expensive than local stores

http://www.doggiefood.com/primal-dog-foods.html
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #129
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
if you go the freeze dried raw route this place is typically much less expensive than local stores

http://www.doggiefood.com/primal-dog-foods.html
That works out to 9 days worth of freeze dried food for her, for $19.99 versus 8 days of frozen Primal for $17.99 at the local Pet People. Basically the same cost either way, but I appreciate the suggestion

Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #130
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
We've had GSDs for years and tried different brands of quality dog food. We've settled on Flint River Ranch and have it delivered via UPS so there's no hassle finding it nor running out. As others have mentioned, higher qualtiy food means less filler->more gets absorbed into their system->less comes out the back end.

Dogs have sensitive GI tracts so if you switch foods, do it gradually by mixing a little of the new food with a lot of the old in each feeding and increasing the ratio of new to old as time goes on. Otherwise the dogs develop diarrhea.

The current pack members:

DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #131
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Today I made the decision to move my 2nd oldest dog from Acana to a raw diet. She's always been on the neurotic side, and would often lick the air, the couch, blankets, etc., when she would get stressed. I've done a decent amount of reading about potential food sensitivities and allergies, which was the motivation to move my dogs to Acana from Science diet about a year and a half ago. But in addition to the licking, this dog has started to puke up a bit of kibble in the middle of the night about once every week and a half. After reading that it could be an issue of the kibble absorbing too much water from her intestines we tried soaking the kibble for about 45 minutes before feeding. It seemed to help at first, but she got sick twice last night. So I purchased Primal raw Chicken formula today. Holy shit, that stuff is expensive! But if she stops getting sick and/or having other symptoms of food intolerance I suppose a raw diet is cheaper than a vet bill.
So true. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I gave up dog food and switched to peas and frozen chicken breasts, which I cook, and meat when I get it on sale. Not only did my dog lose 30 lbs, his coat is great, his poops solid, he does not throw up, does not scratch. Basically eliminated all the issues I had with him, due to food but I could not track it down.

And he is healthier, too, more energy, too boot.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #132
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
So true. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I gave up dog food and switched to peas and frozen chicken breasts, which I cook, and meat when I get it on sale. Not only did my dog lose 30 lbs, his coat is great, his poops solid, he does not throw up, does not scratch. Basically eliminated all the issues I had with him, due to food but I could not track it down.

And he is healthier, too, more energy, too boot.
If he lost 30 lbs, seems like you could have started by just feeding him less of his regular food and he would have had less poo, lost weight, been healthier, with more energy.... Sometimes the answer is pretty obvious. ;)
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #133
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
If he lost 30 lbs, seems like you could have started by just feeding him less of his regular food and he would have had less poo, lost weight, been healthier, with more energy.... Sometimes the answer is pretty obvious. ;)
Obvious as it seems, some dogs just can't lose weight on conventional high carb content dog food.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #134
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
So true. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I gave up dog food and switched to peas and frozen chicken breasts, which I cook, and meat when I get it on sale......And he is healthier, too, more energy, too boot.
Our last Golden lived to be pretty ancient for the breed. When he got to be over 14 years old it became a bit of struggle to keep him hydrated and nourished. He was happy and healthy enough but just couldn't digest kibble anymore.

We started him on that diet on advice from my vet after she made a miracle save following a bout of severe diarrhea. It probably added a solid year to his life. We bought giant packages of frozen chicken breast on sale then cooked them in big patches.

The cost wasn't prohibitive since we bought big packages on sale and the old boy wasn't eating much by then anyway. And, if nothing else, he went out a happy old dog chowing down on as much yummy chicken as he wanted every day.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 08:12 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #135
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
Whe our greys were alive we fed them this grain free food:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3-001b2166becc

Their sensitive digestive tracts adjusted well and they seemed to enjoy the taste.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: