ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
85turbo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New dual sport rider in the Philly/Coal Region area. Looking for some trails.

Hey guys, I just picked up a Triumph Tiger 800XC not to long ago and was just curious if someone can point me in the direction of some good off-road spots to ride. I'm sure this questions gets asked quite often. I work in Philly, but am originally from the Coal Region area (Shenandoah/Shamokin) area. I'm looking for anywhere around Philly or even up in the coal country!
Thanks for any help!
85turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
ktmdirtybiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Sent you a PM
ktmdirtybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85turbo View Post
Hey guys, I just picked up a Triumph Tiger 800XC not to long ago and was just curious if someone can point me in the direction of some good off-road spots to ride. I'm sure this questions gets asked quite often. I work in Philly, but am originally from the Coal Region area (Shenandoah/Shamokin) area. I'm looking for anywhere around Philly or even up in the coal country!
Thanks for any help!
I live in ST.CLAIR.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
solohvs
somewhere around the bend

Oddometer: 168
Valley Forge

My new (2012) BMW R1200GS is just about broken in and I'd like to start riding more in the dirt, too.

My F800GS was a handful off road, even with full Ohlins suspension. I'll be taking it easy for a while, but I wouldn't mind joining you for a ride once the weather breaks.

I can do day trips or longer - I haven't had much luck with "local" off roading.
The Pine Barrens was good - I found the sand difficult.

Maybe I shoulda kept the 800?

Let's Ride. Brian
solohvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Limerick here but not much local

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Pops racer
I'm OK.

Oddometer: 8
Welcome, I only know of two places around Phila but I'm sure it's not legal. The coal regions would have more. I use to 4wl a highly modified Jeep up around shamokin, st clare, treverton, centralia. I would love to explore those area's on two wheels. I still have trails marked on my old Eagle explorer GPS.
Pops racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,470
Hey I'm up north by Blue Mountain Ski Area . I've got some good rides for that bike in the area. Moderate to full off road if needed to checkout your bike or your skills.

Check over on the ADV Annual Rallies for the Jim Thorpe Smokin Hole Rally . David usually post something over there pretty soon announcing some dates. You'll definitely meet some folks to ride with on this forum!

Jeff
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
Hey I'm up north by Blue Mountain Ski Area . I've got some good rides for that bike in the area. Moderate to full off road if needed to checkout your bike or your skills.

Check over on the ADV Annual Rallies for the Jim Thorpe Smokin Hole Rally . David usually post something over there pretty soon announcing some dates. You'll definitely meet some folks to ride with on this forum!

Jeff
2nd vote Smoking Hole good ride.

tom
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I ride in st clair everytime Im out there I find more n more trails,I try to stay out of posted places/private property etc.I dont think a big 800 is a good trail bike its very very rocky out there.Ya drop a big dually like that you better have some one help you pick it up.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
OP prolly means off PAVEMENT but instead said off ROAD. That would be an iffy bike for doing much actual off ROAD (as in TRAIL) riding.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
OP prolly means off PAVEMENT but instead said off ROAD. That would be an iffy bike for doing much actual off ROAD (as in TRAIL) riding.
I wouldn't want to be doing a lot of single track or stick farms / rock gardens but outfitted with crash bars and a good skid plate full knobby's and let's ride some power lines or "Off Pavement".

There's lots of Riding up here that I can take my VStrom or a buddies Yamaha Super Tenere on but have friends with KLR' s who get Squamish so It's really plenty to ride just depends on the rider and the risks they are willing to assume with their equipment.

We just got 8+inches at Blue Mountain overnight so we'll be out of the woods for a few more weeks. Soon as the weather breaks there will be some rides posted.

Jeff
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

KLR' s who get Squeamish

That is me !!!!!

KLR and Squeamish = old fart on a bike

After knocking out my oil drain plug (even with bash plate) at the RORR ride I learned I wasn't ready for that type of single track.

Last years ride was great and I enjoyed it.
The RORR ride was work in the single track and beyond my capabilities (the wiser side of my brain talking)

I just cant wait for this white stuff to go away!

tom
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 899
Keep an eye out for Frank's spring adventure. I think he is planning early April as of now. It will most likely be similar to last years adventure style ride. We may do a big dog ride later in the year.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote