ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
KTM will deal with Husky the same why that is deals with Husaberg. Maybe keep a shell of it around to support sales and use as a platform for trying out new ideas. But other than that, Husky is dead.
Even look within KTM's own line up. Bikes doesn't live long in the KTM stable. 950 SER was a direct answer to BMW's R1200R enduro. The 640 adventure was modeled after something (hell I don't know) maybe a Dakar race bike or the KLR. But it's no longer here. They invent models all the time. Most are very short lived.

As far as I can tell this will be good news for lesser brands like GasGas.
Not sure I agree with all of that.... the LC4 had been around a while and was getting long in the tooth, so when they acquired Husaberg to develop a next-gen motor, the RFS was born.
The LC4 was still around for a while....and now the 690 has an updated version.
The RFS served well, and the morphed into the XC4 and others. If by "short lived" you mean they are continuously updated and refined - then yes

It will be curious to see what engines Husqvarnas end up with now that the ties to revamped BMW mills would seem to be gone.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,434
Interesting. Does give them access to additonal intellectual resources, processes and maybe technology. If they leave the company as a seperate operation competeing with themselves in effect and making both brands better. If they want to have a test platform for new ideas then yeah we might see some anomolies in the brand but it'll be differentiated in some way in the market place which might mean a less competitive, less high end components etc..
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,964
I would bet that Husky won't change that much under KTM ownership. It's just S.O.P. for European manufactures, look at the Fiat group http://www.fiatspa.com/en-US/group/b...s/default.aspx

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Not sure I agree with all of that.... the LC4 had been around a while and was getting long in the tooth, so when they acquired Husaberg to develop a next-gen motor, the RFS was born.
The LC4 was still around for a while....and now the 690 has an updated version.
The RFS served well, and the morphed into the XC4 and others. If by "short lived" you mean they are continuously updated and refined - then yes

It will be curious to see what engines Husqvarnas end up with now that the ties to revamped BMW mills would seem to be gone.
And since the RFS motor was developed, Huasberg has been left for dead. A couple of years ago I hosted some riders from Sweden. They said that the Husaberg engineers who developed the 70 degree motor were only allowed to use KTM parts. So they took to motors cut them and came up with the 70 degree motor. When Husaberg copied the KTM 300. All the desert riders said that they could have least made it a 380. That would have kept berg alive in spirit. But now the entire line is KTM product, so one could argue that Husaberg is dead.

And yes the LC4s motors have not died. But Where is the 690 adventure? And where is the 990 SER or even the 1190 SER? The KTM 400 has come and gone. Same with the 505.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I always thought that BMW bought Husky to have more dirt-bike under their roof without doing all the R&D from scratch. Does this mean that BMW doesn't care about dirt any more? Or perhaps they learned all they wanted to learn?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
I always thought that BMW bought Husky to have more dirt-bike under their roof without doing all the R&D from scratch. Does this mean that BMW doesn't care about dirt any more? Or perhaps they learned all they wanted to learn?
Yeah, this is kind of what I was saying earlier in this thread. Just when BMW appears to be on the verge of getting a good return on a developed product, they sell it? And while one could say that's the time to sell, that's not normally the best return for your development money. I've been watching Husky with some interest. Just seems an odd move for BMW. And then consider the fact that KTM really doesn't need newly developed product lines...do they?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Just when BMW appears to be on the verge of getting a good return on a developed product, they sell it?
I bought my TE 610 used.... so no dealer involvement.

I bought my TE 630 from Gateway BMW / Husqvarna in St. Louis, and my TE 310 at Gran Prix here in Denver. I asked both dealers how the Huskies were selling, because I'd seen heavily discounted prices from the factory - both dealers said they were selling very well indeed, and not just the discounted ones.

So it looked like BMW had a good thing going, and was able to take a couple of their designs that didn't sell so well for them, re-badge them and juice up the horsepower a tad....and have some good sales for Husqvarna.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,434
BMW mayhave seen it as a distraction to what has become their core business (bigger tech ladden bikes with fat profit margins) Rather than playing in a very competitive market where it gets hard to justify/demand the higher prices required to cover R&D and marketing costs related to bringing the latest and greatest tech to a single cyl bike.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
pprO.R.A.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Remember when KTM and Polaris merged about 5-7 yrs.ago? They wanted to introduce katoom powertrian into Quads so they could get into the European quad market and be successful. Don't know if that worked for them, or if KTM/ Polaris are still co-ownership.
But what is the deal with this? Are they wanting monopolize the Euro bike market in Europe, or a larger share in US?

As stated earlier in this post they used primarly KTM parts in the Husa's
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,221
UPDATE:

The latest is that Stephan bought Husky, not KTM. Hmmmm.... the plot thickens considerably.

http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/motornieuw...r-van-ktm.html

Web translated:

As already whispered BMW Motorrad sells its subsidiary Husqvarna Motorcycles, not to KTM but to the personal business of its CEO Stefan Pierer called Pierer Industries AG.

The consequences for Pierers role as CEO of KTM is still unclear and will in the next six time be sought out. It is obvious that the European competition authorities might interfere with this, but it is also the possible that Pierer will resign his position at KTM.

For some time Pierer has been the CEO of the Austrian motorcycle company, but a large part of the shares therein are sold to the Indian motorcycle giant Bajaj.

Purchasing Husqvarna Pierer would potentially enable again completely with a clean slate to start again.

There will be viewed in the coming months if any form of cooperation between KTM and Husqvarna is possible, there is at least already a new model announced at the EICMA 2013 already will be shown

This morning we reported that KTM is not in the market to buy Husqvarna, this would also not be a very logical step.

For BMW the sale of Husqvarna ensuresit substantially looses face. The German company pumped millions into the Italian Husqvarna, but could never make a success of.

The following chart is from Cross Industries Ltd, the company which Bajaj for almost half owner. It now owns Husqvarna said Pierer Industries AG makes no part of it..

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 02:16 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,221
Even Better:

It’s not KTM that is buying Husqvarna, but KTM’s CEO and part-owner Stefan Pierer,” explains Nieuwsmotor’s Iwan van der Valk. “He bought it with his ‘other’ company Pierer Industries AG. This is not connected to Cross AG, the owner company in which both Pierer and Bajaj hold shares. The next six months will be spent looking how Husqvarna can cooperate with KTM but a new model is already promised to revealed at the 2013 EICMA in november.”

“KTM’s a great, but small, company,” writes veteran journalist Mark Gardiner on his blog. “It’s easy to see the impending purchase of Husqvarna for what it is, another move by the big Indian motorcycle company, Bajaj — which already owns a big piece of KTM — to diversify it’s portfolio of brands, manufacturing capability, and design talent.”

With Bajaj’s billions, the acquisition should be a positive thing for Husqvarna. New model development could target the huge markets in Southeast Asia, giving the brand the volume and profit to revisit it’s whole street bike thing, maybe with models that aren’t just lightly refreshed F800Rs.

Source
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
This is bad news in my opinion: If the deal goes through I don't think KTM will build Huskies that will compete with its line up.

I suspect Husky will become ktms budget brand
the TR650 will get much better however.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 02:33 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
eakins
Butler Maps

so BMW is dump and running on yet more bikes.
they've been doing alot of that the last 5 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
UPDATE:

The latest is that Stephan bought Husky, not KTM. Hmmmm.... the plot thickens considerably.

http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/motornieuw...r-van-ktm.html

Web translated:

As already whispered BMW Motorrad sells its subsidiary Husqvarna Motorcycles, not to KTM but to the personal business of its CEO Stefan Pierer called Pierer Industries AG.

The consequences for Pierers role as CEO of KTM is still unclear and will in the next six time be sought out. It is obvious that the European competition authorities might interfere with this, but it is also the possible that Pierer will resign his position at KTM.

For some time Pierer has been the CEO of the Austrian motorcycle company, but a large part of the shares therein are sold to the Indian motorcycle giant Bajaj.

Purchasing Husqvarna Pierer would potentially enable again completely with a clean slate to start again.

There will be viewed in the coming months if any form of cooperation between KTM and Husqvarna is possible, there is at least already a new model announced at the EICMA 2013 already will be shown

This morning we reported that KTM is not in the market to buy Husqvarna, this would also not be a very logical step.

For BMW the sale of Husqvarna ensuresit substantially looses face. The German company pumped millions into the Italian Husqvarna, but could never make a success of.

The following chart is from Cross Industries Ltd, the company which Bajaj for almost half owner. It now owns Husqvarna said Pierer Industries AG makes no part of it..
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Remember when KTM and Polaris merged about 5-7 yrs.ago? They wanted to introduce katoom powertrian into Quads so they could get into the European quad market and be successful. Don't know if that worked for them, or if KTM/ Polaris are still co-ownership.
But what is the deal with this? Are they wanting monopolize the Euro bike market in Europe, or a larger share in US?

As stated earlier in this post they used primarly KTM parts in the Husa's
and polaris owns klim? so yet another brand in the family.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
Eakins knows wehere the truth is...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post20612046