ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Remember when KTM and Polaris merged about 5-7 yrs.ago? They wanted to introduce katoom powertrian into Quads so they could get into the European quad market and be successful. Don't know if that worked for them, or if KTM/ Polaris are still co-ownership.
But what is the deal with this? Are they wanting monopolize the Euro bike market in Europe, or a larger share in US?

As stated earlier in this post they used primarly KTM parts in the Husa's
The KTM Polaris thing was a long time ago. And it did not end well. From the outside it looks like KTM used Polaris to fund the development of the LC8 motor. KTM had given Polaris options for purchase. Polaris gave KTM a bunch of money. Under the agreement only Polaris had the option of pulling out of the deal. But not long after the LC8 was born KTM backed out. I don't think that they have been exchanging Christmas cards ever since.
Some thought that KTM was being a bit of a turd. Others thought that it was a great business move. As a rider all I can say is that we currently have both lines of products to choose between when buying OHV product.

I'm glad that KTM did not buy Husky. But Husky has some huge issues to overcome. Mainly being who owns the rights to the motors that are currently stuffed into the Husky product line. And of course does Husky have a viable distribution and dealer network? Those things takes years to build.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I'm glad that KTM did not buy Husky. But Husky has some huge issues to overcome. Mainly being who owns the rights to the motors that are currently stuffed into the Husky product line. And of course does Husky have a viable distribution and dealer network? Those things takes years to build.
It's not Husky's problem ... it's BMW's.
BMW own the contracts with Loncin, which I assume will be assigned to the new owners of Husqvarna. The question is, can the new owners be as vigilant in guiding QA as BMW have been. Turn your back and suddenly your Terra motor gets a bunch of 3rd tier reject parts. Or ... the new owners (Pierer ?) could bitch and moan to the Chinese saying the motor is too expensive ... well, you can guess where that will lead! (ever bought a "budget" Chinese BBQ! )

If it wasn't for Bajaj, KTM may have gone under. They were on the edge. Pierer pretty much blew it, doing things like building a new factory he couldn't pay for. The Polaris deal helped mitigate disaster but really it was Bajaj that saved KTM. I'd be interested to know where Pierer is getting cash to pay BMW? Will he sell off all his holdings in KTM? What percentage does he even own? Who would lend him money? And can Pierer extract himself cleanly from KTM without financial obligations or non compete clauses?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:17 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
DR-Bee
WTF?

Oddometer: 130
Personally I think all this has to do with the low price of natural gas (LPG).
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #34
WildBillc4
F Pavment

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Bee View Post
Personally I think all this has to do with the low price of natural gas (LPG).
¿Qué?
WildBillc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
Hair
Outside the boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
It's not Husky's problem ... it's BMW's.
BMW own the contracts with Loncin, which I assume will be assigned to the new owners of Husqvarna. The question is, can the new owners be as vigilant in guiding QA as BMW have been. Turn your back and suddenly your Terra motor gets a bunch of 3rd tier reject parts. Or ... the new owners (Pierer ?) could bitch and moan to the Chinese saying the motor is too expensive ... well, you can guess where that will lead! (ever bought a "budget" Chinese BBQ! )

If it wasn't for Bajaj, KTM may have gone under. They were on the edge. Pierer pretty much blew it, doing things like building a new factory he couldn't pay for. The Polaris deal helped mitigate disaster but really it was Bajaj that saved KTM. I'd be interested to know where Pierer is getting cash to pay BMW? Will he sell off all his holdings in KTM? What percentage does he even own? Who would lend him money? And can Pierer extract himself cleanly from KTM without financial obligations or non compete clauses?
I never said that Polaris saved KTM. I only stated what I knew about their agreement. KTM has been on the edge many times. and over it once. I still think that the whole deal would go much smoother if the new owner could revert his product line back to the old Husky motors. From what I've seen the old Husky motors were not half bad. Atleast a great place to start from.

And for those who want to ponder things. Why would anyone buy Husky when Highlands is sitting right here in the US. They are ready to go into production of several models, including dirt and DS bikes. They have a workforce ready to work. It seems that all they need is a CEO and a financial package. I know that the highland motors could use an engineering upgrade. But the heart of that power plant is solid. It's very similar to the 2 generations old Husaberg motor.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I never said that Polaris saved KTM. I only stated what I knew about their agreement. KTM has been on the edge many times. and over it once. I still think that the whole deal would go much smoother if the new owner could revert his product line back to the old Husky motors. From what I've seen the old Husky motors were not half bad. Atleast a great place to start from.
Sorry if I misinterpolated your comments 100% agree regards reverting to all Italian manufacturing of the Husky motors. Yes ... prices would be higher ... but what cost quality and ... ART? !! I agree ... the Husky motors were just getting about perfect when BMW pulled the rug out. Shame.

Quote:
And for those who want to ponder things. Why would anyone buy Husky when Highlands is sitting right here in the US. They are ready to go into production of several models, including dirt and DS bikes. They have a workforce ready to work. It seems that all they need is a CEO and a financial package. I know that the highland motors could use an engineering upgrade. But the heart of that power plant is solid. It's very similar to the 2 generations old Husaberg motor.
The Highlands story is a tragedy and a missed opportunity. So much potential if put in the right hands.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #37
pprO.R.A.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Please

Quote:
Why would anyone buy Husky when Highlands is sitting right here in the US. They are ready to go into production of several models, including dirt and DS bikes.
Explain Highlands, never heard of them, what brands/ models do they potentially offer? Any pics?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #38
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Explain Highlands, never heard of them, what brands/ models do they potentially offer? Any pics?
+1 and please don't give us a link to a 60 page thread. I've been trying to research them but haven't seen any definite news about future production runs beyond their dirt-tracker which was suppose to have been released this January but from what I can it hasn't even had a production run yet...tell us what you know, Hair.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #39
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
In a nut shell:

US Highland is a motorcycle manufacturer based in Oklahoma. It was formed by Mats Malmberg, formerly of Swedish Highland Motorcycles AB, when negotiations to sell Highland to ATK fell through. US Highland's 33,000-square-foot factory opened in Tulsa on June 1, 2010 and is expected to produce hundreds of off-road motorcycles a year.

On July 10, 2010, Malmberg and two other executives of US Highland were killed when their small plane, returning from a business trip in Michigan, crashed in Tulsa's Mohawk Park after they radioed that they were low on fuel and requested an unscheduled landing at nearby Tulsa International Airport.

The death of the head executives and the main financer brought any Highlands plans to a halt.

Their coolest bike in my opinion was a Super Enduro type bike with a 750cc Vtwin with high HP and low weight.

Rumors had the 750 at 100HP and 300lbs

Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #40
Hair
Outside the boxer

Thanks Dan, That was better than what I had to offer.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #41
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Tulsa, OK?..... Why would you do that when you have empty factories and a ready mfg work force in Michigan right now? The bike looks really neat. It is what Suzuki, Kaw, Yam should be building right now! But how do you justify a 2 gal gastank on a 100hp OR bike? Perhaps EPA requirements are giving them as many fits as their apparent lack of direction and financing. Anyone work for Highland on here?Is that bike street legal? Or is it just another prototype that will never see the light of day?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #42
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
Reading comprehension please:

The death of the head executives and the main financer brought any Highlands plans to a halt.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/a...1_CUTLIN551365

Even before the crash, Bales and Malmberg were discussing plans to hire a new chief executive for the company, one who had manufacturing and marketing experience.

Tulsan John Fitzpatrick, a former executive with Harley Davidson and most recently CEO of Indian Motorcycles in Gilroy, Calif., was hired as CEO on Sept. 20, 2011.

But by then, all that was left of the company was a warehouse full of equipment locked up by the property's landlord since December.

When Fitzpatrick came on board, the company had one customer remaining from pre-crash business and a design for an engine.

"I see this as an engine play," Fitzpatrick said. "It is such a powerful product, and it has real potential."

In time, Fitzpatrick said he sees US Highland as a player in the domestic dirt-bike business, one that builds exclusive high-end bikes for a niche audience.

This week Fitzpatrick signed a lease for 17,000 square feet of assembly space in northeast Tulsa.

He hopes to restart assembly on engines within three months and hire 30 to 50 employees.

"I really think that in three to five years we could have 600 employees at a 300,000-square-foot facility," Fitzpatrick said. "
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #44
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Wasn't this about husky?
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #45
Hair
Outside the boxer

If you do your homework, you will discover that Husky is connected to just about all the European dirt bike brands. It's hard to talk about any of them and not bring up Husky.