User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Garmin Customer "Support" experiences

Yes... I know there's a separate tech section, but this is Australia-specific.

I bought a Garmin Montana 650 for my Cape York - Asia trip.

It lasted one and a half days on Cape York before the screen went out of registration and the unit was unusable.

It took some to and froing, but Garmin Australia eventually sent me a replacement unit.

I encountered the usual battery connection problems which I'd initially thought were related to the plug I had on the unit... but thanks to this website, I discovered that an earplug inserted between the cover and the battery would stop it turning itself off all the time.

After five months use, the second unit went bad. Same issue, but not as bad as the first unit. Almost impossible to enter an address because the screen had an area where the registration was out.

I rang Garmin, late last year and was told that they only warrant replacement units for 3 months.... but their customer support woman agreed that there was a case to be made for this unit to be replaced if faulty and she'd recommend that to her boss.

I sent the unit in after the Christmas break but didn't get any receipt advice back... so I rang them today.

"Oh yes, there's a note here, its been tested and needs to be replaced".

Garmin Australia want me to pay for the replacement.

Anyone else had any "support" of this nature from Garmin?

I'd appreciate any war stories wrt Garmin.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,953
on the plus side, the power socket was on working intermittently and they replaced my garmin with a new unit with 8 months of the one year warranty gone.

on the down side, i've emailed their tech section twice over the past few years on different issues and never got an answer which seems to be pretty common from what others have said around here.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
boulder
jersey boy

Oddometer: 123
I bought a Garmin 60 and have bounced it around Australia for over 50,000 k;s and it has never missed a beat.
So when I was looking for a GPS for the 990 a Garmin 650 was the unit of choice after such good service from the 60.
I did 8500k's and the unit was only three weeks old when the screen failed just as yours did,I sent it back to Garmin and like you they sent me a replacement unit with three months warrant. This unit lasted four months and it as failed just like the first unit and they tell me that I have to pay to replace it. I sent them a copy of one of there adverts stating this was there most rugged built Motorcycle unit on the market and asked why it only lasted four months and did they think this was good value at about $185.50 a month and have not had a reply!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,953
i wonder if you'd have a case worth taking to consumer affairs? you'd think the year's warranty should apply to the entire unit, including any repairs. if they won't play ball, and these screens are a known issue, it could be worth finding every garmin 650 thread and put a post up explaining what happened. and send all the links to garmin.

i was unhappy with the service/warranty on a certain aftermarket bike part and when emails didn't resolve it, i did a blog on the issue, then posted in relevant forums about the problem with links to the blog. it starts to rank high in google searches quite quickly then, and it was amazing how fast this mob resolved the issue when they realised a lot of people were reading the blog. all sorted and revised the blog to say they had solved the prob in the end.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Have never ever had a problem with my old Map60 apart from needed a piece of cardboard in the battery compartment to stop it cutting out. however want to upgrade so started getting prices on a Montana this morning. I'll raise this with each dealer I call from now. Wonder if that will get a message back to Garmin?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
I had issues with Garmin support a few years ago when i had a quest. The screen went just over a year after I got it. Paid the $99 for a refurbed unit but i couldn't get the maps I purchased re registered. About 4 months later the new unit died. Same issue. Out of warranty of course. Paid another $99 for another refirbed unit which only lasted about 4 months. Still couldn't get the maps to work. I eventually threw it away.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
and i was ready to dropkick my tomtom rider
bad customer support too.
i was going to look at a garmin
oh well paper maps are cheap.

cheers

good luck with it
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,424
You need an old Zumo 550, mines been going strong for years. course now I've said that it will crap itself tomorrow.
Garmin's tech service was crap when I had issues with a map update purchased on line, but customer service was great when I rang them asking for a refund when I worked out that on line map updates don't work on the 550.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Geez, don't start me on how crappy their SE Asia map is. I can post photos of concentric circles it sent me on trying to get out of cities.

I'll put a letter together to their CEO sometime over the next couple of days.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
You need an old Zumo 550, mines been going strong for years. course now I've said that it will crap itself tomorrow.
Garmin's tech service was crap when I had issues with a map update purchased on line, but customer service was great when I rang them asking for a refund when I worked out that on line map updates don't work on the 550.

My experience has been a bit the same. When I had problems with my Zumo, they were incredibly helpful and I ended up getting a new one from them. Then when I had problems updating maps, again, the service could not have been better.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
Mattyvas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Just keep at'em

I had a great outcome with my Zumo 550 a while back.
I bought mine pre-loved from a friend for around $500 from memory, it came with lifetime map updates so when I did the first map update which also required a software update it all of a sudden didn't work properly.

I could use it as normal but I couldn't send maps to it which made it kind of useless, before the map/software update it all worked fine. I got onto Zumo forums and Garmins CS, I dealt with the same person the whole time and he was excellent. I kept asking and saying all the way through why did this work before your map and software update and now it doesn't what is causing the problem the map or the software.

After more than a few weeks we finally got to the conclusion that it was a map problem with the Garmin maps and my unit was replaced. They gave me the same story saying I had to pay $99 for a replacement which I was happy enough with if they could ensure it would be back to full working order.

When I went to collect my machine I was told they were happy to replace it free of charge for me due to my patience with the matter. It also helped that I too started a thread on the Garmin Zumo forum firstly stating how crap things were, turning around into a positive thread.

My advice would be to just keep at them in a very positive manner and it might well work out for you.

cheers
Matty...
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
speedwobble2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I must say I have had excellent service from Garmin. One of my Gps's in one of my planes lost a couple of rows of pixels on the screen. It was over 4yrs old and well out of warranty and couldn't be fixed in Aus so it was sent back to the US. When it came back it was not my gps but a new model of the same gps with all my data and waypoints installed for a service fee of about $125 FANTASTIC!!! I have 2 2610's that are over 10yrs old and still going strong and one lives on my road bike permentally , an old map 12 which hasn't missed a beat and 62s with no issues yet. I have no complaints.
speedwobble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #13
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Vibration killed my Garmin Oregon on XT660 on a mount that I made.

I sent it in with a letter explaining the torture I put it through, hoping they could fix it and send me the bill.

Within the week they sent out a 2nd hand refirb replacement free of charge. Its still going strong today.

There was a bit of fucking round getting their website to allow me to put the topo maps on the replacement unit but it worked out.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Section 75 of trade practices act is your friend.

Anytime you strike resistance from a vendor for a product that ought to last longer, simply return the item and request either full refund or replacement - its your right for any product you buy in Australia. Section 75 of the tpa and I think 75a are on your side.

Side note - I have had Garmin replace 3 310xt watches. Shite quality.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,224
I've got 2 GPS60CSX units, both are dead reliable.
The first one I purchased wouldn't turn on with the button, I had to use a pointy object to power it on and off, but I thought at the time it was just designed that way to avoid accidental activation/deactivation. Now the rubber button is torn, naturally.
The second one turns on and off easily and is faultless.
I did some research and it transpires that Garmin did a run of the GPS60 units that had this faulty switch action. I have contacted Garmin 3 times over this issue, and every time they just say I should have done it under warranty (reported the problem I never knew I had!) and then offer me a $199 refurb unit. I bought my second unit brand new for $299 for crying out loud.
Their service, in my experience, in Australia is appalling, I suspect they employ Irish backpackers with a list of pre-prepared excuses and lies in front of them and tell them that the customers are there to be abused. I have rarely had such poor service, to the point I have been quoted service call numbers that were never raised. When a company employs people to lie to your face it is a bit rich. I have not purchased another Garmin unit based on this appalling level of service, and the refusal to back their products when they know there is a production defect from new.
At least ALDI don't bitch about returns.

GPS60? - great little unit.
Garmin service? - ZERO.

GodSilla screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 10:11 PM Reason: Typo
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote