Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,515
Well well , I have been recently looking at purchasing a Garmin C 62 series GPS as my Magellan XL is getting a bit long in the tooth and most of my ride buddies are using the garmin products so was thinking I'd be wise to be able to share mapping logs and routes with them , maybe I'll rethink this line of thought due to the issues raised by all the posters in this thread .

Just for the record , I have been advised by a relative who works on repairing and fault finding on all electically operated computerised devices , to steer way clear of touch screen controled devices , there is only a few manufacturers world wide of touch screens and they are all suspect when it comes to reliability . I'll stick to seperate button operated devices for phones , Gps units and the like , because , they ( touch screen devices ) will always let you down when you most need them , thanks to Mr murphy .
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
I own a fleet of GPSs that I use, loan and hire. I have 2 550's, a 220, 3 60CSXs, two 62s and two new Rino 650's. Garmin have always been great to deal with right from the day I had my first eTrex 10 or whatever it was that I broke, smashed and abused. The eTrex was 3 years old the last time we broke the screen and sent it to be repaired, they had no more parts for the discontinued unit so for 60 small they sent me the new model eTrex. They have replaced units out of warranty, free of charge out of warranty or offered a fair upgrade replacement, they have answered questions etc.

For the record I have no affiliation with Garmin nor do I sell their products I pay retail or best deal for all GPS gear I own.

TB
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 241
ETrex 20

I have an ETrex20, bought a couple of years ago. Been on the handle bar of my 525EXC for 1800km through Glasshouse Mountains. It been in mud bogs, bounced down hills and generally abused to the max. It works perfectly. I have thought about upgrading to a more fancy one, but this thing is bomb proof and no touch screen. I also run mupmap on my stinking iphone which works well.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
referring back to the original post...

just to see what response i would get, i emailed garmin mentioning that i have been reading about problems with the screen on the Garmin Montana 650, and that there appears to be only a limited warranty on replacement screens and why was this so.

to their credit, they actually responded (something they haven't bothered to do in the past) but just sent a standard response showing they hadn't even read the email. it was just a link to their list of outdoor gps units.

and it came from a "no reply" email so i can't ask them to actually read the first email and respond to it!

EDIT:
and forgot to mention, if you do have an LCD screen go bad and / or the touch screen digitiser, consider getting a replacement screen from china via ebay.

i had a screen on my garmin 1490t go bad after a stack (no fault of the gps) and thought i'd take a punt on the touch screen digitiser and LCD screen for $45 posted (can be bought separately), and $3 for the tools to take my gps apart. worked like a charm and no probs a year later.

i thought it would be a lot dimmer but as far as i can make out these come from the chinese manufacturer that supplies the products to garmin... they appear and perform identically in every respect.

B1 screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:04 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
PBee

Oddometer: 8,447
Garmin support........now there's an oxymoron.

Lots of probs with my 550, Digitizer changed twice under warranty (not without an argument) 3rd time it was just out of warranty & they said they would exchange it for $347.00 because it probably wouldn't take another screen change.

660 has been good but the map upgrade bullshit is fucked.
$159 USD for lifetime upgrade to Australian maps.
But when you type in your address it goes straight to $189.00 AUD
& we are talking about a download from the US server.

When I talked to the Oz support line & questioned them about this the lovely Lass on the other end said "If you don't like it, buy another brand"
& promptly hung up.

& don't let me get started on trying to get a new password for firmware upgrades......

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011. N
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
blade07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thumbs down

And to think I was just about to buy a Garmin, no way will that happen now
after seeing the shit you guys went through.
blade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Melbourne Bitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Pissed

had a 60cs - brilliant until it fell off.

bought a 650 montana (on recco of APC) - what a disaster. in da bin

garmin support is CRAP. fullstop.

bought a second hand 60cs and just cant get his or my maps to work/unlock/whatever - in da bin

and if you have seen a more illogical, confusing & frustrating collection of websites let me know. i want to hurt their IT guy (bet its a sheila) (feminazis - dont waste ur time posting thank you).

do i buy a map62 of go to another brand???
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Bitter View Post
had a 60cs - brilliant until it fell off.

do i buy a map62 of go to another brand???
Despite Garmin Australia being staffed by muppets of the lowest order, the 60 series units are seriously good kit.

If you buy new, they don't seem to give trouble and are very reliable. On that basis, you wouldn't expect to have to deal with Garmin "support", so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
adventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Ive got the Garmin Dakota 20 and have had no problems with this unit
adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
hahnelw
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 591
60csx

Hi all,

I have had my 60csx for nearly 4 years now and it has been faultlessly reliable. It has been all over the country mounted on a RAM mount and running through a retrofitted power outlet on the bar mounts. These are a great bit of gear. Easy to operate with gloves, great screen visibility unless it gets coved in dust and long battery life when not powered from the bike.

I was looking at the Montana as a possible replacement but seems like it would be a bad choice. Looks like the 62 might be the go.

Cheers WH

ps I share others frustration with their website and the clunkiness of their downloads for additional maps. Spent hours trying to upload some US maps that I purchased of their site and have still not got there. No response to my emails either.
Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
boulder
jersey boy

Oddometer: 124
I received my second replacement 650 Montana unit yesterday, when this one fails I will put the 60 on the 990 and chalk it down to experience!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
We've had a few Montanas at work fail with the common screen problem. Garmin has been good replacing them. Even a recent one out of warrenty. But as far as I'm concerned the Montana's are POS and I wouldn't consider buying one.

My own Rino 650 on the other hand has been great and survived many many corregations.
felixblack1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,293
A week on from sending advice regarding proof of purchase... nothing in return. I've emailed "Australasian Support" asking why. I wonder if they can exceed my expectations.... which are very low?

I spent the first ten years of my career working for a manufacturer... and having to deal with manufacturing defects. Shit happens, but dealing with it properly is what wins customer loyalty. It seems with Garmin, shit product means defining customers as shit too. Sad really.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
RE the 4 month warantee when you still have 12 months on the original unit. I am pretty sure they cant do that. One of my staff is married to a lawyer, so I will ask the question. Going to be in kiwi land for the next couple of weeks, so dont expect and answer soon though.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 653
what have I done

I just bought myself a second-hand GPSMap60 .... yet to try it out... are any of you frustrated 60C/CSx owners considering getting rid of yours? I'm interested in purchasing your handlebar mount
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote