User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
terraunbound OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
F700GS low suspension options

After riding with a standard set up with a low seat and after too many close calls with the bike trying to do spontaneous dirt naps while trying to get the side stand down, I'm looking at my options. Here's what I'm finding:

1) Touratech's 30mm Lowering Fork & Shock Spring Kit

2) Trade my standard suspension bike for a lowered suspension bike

Lowering links don't seem to exist for the F700GS. Other options worth pursuing?

And after reading many posts about the Hyperpro shock/spring that is sold by Touratech, the handling of the bike is improved. Not sure I understand why. Can someone share their experiences with this kit on their F700 or F650? Or other solutions?

And what about the side stand? Where can I buy a shorter one?
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
YogiBear
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Lowering the F700GS

I don't mean to sound like an expert but I went through this with my 2009 F-650GS twin and before that a thumper. You are correct in that the twins do not have a link for the bottom of the shock mount. They are what I called "hard wired" top and bottom. The only halfway economical way to do the lowering is to get a shorter shock, side stand, and lower the front forks. A shorter shock can be gotten from several sources to include BMW. A poor man's way of doing this is to take off your present shock and cut a link or link and a half off your present spring and reinstall. This is a trial and errormethod so be careful you don't cut too much off. With the lowered suspension you need a shorter side stand. BMW and others sell this also. A poor man's alternative is to cut about 2/3 the distance you lowered the shock off and reweld a new foot. Then to complete the job take the front forks and move them up into the tree about an inch. You will see about 1" of fork sticking out the top. No big deal. All of this will give you about 2" lower than stock. If you have a center stand it is a booger bear to get the bike up on it but it can be done. A lot of folks also sell a lowered center stand but agin you can cut and weld. Again I am not a BMW mechanic and don't want to sound like a know it all but I just did this all in reverse on my twin. I went from the lowered, I bought it second hand, and raised it all. I don't beleive the old F-650Gs twin shock and side stand would work on your F-700 or I would make you one heck of a deal. I hope this helps.
YogiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,418
FWIW, there's a used low shock and sidestand on Ebay now. Forget the price. You can check Max BMW's parts fiche for applications. If the standard 700 shock and sidestand is the same PN as the 650 then the low stuff should fit.

I have stock 650 twin springs should things go wrong. Depends on your desire I guess. Swapping bikes could get costly unless you find a good deal.

I feel like you but on an 800. It's only a matter of time before it gets dumped.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
terraunbound OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good advise Yogi and Reaver - there were a bunch of lower springs/stands available earlier this summer but nooooo I have to wait until the fall to reach my tipping point (ha). I'll take a look at ebay! I'd been combing the advrider and other bmw focused forums and hadn't thought of ebay (doh).

What I'm trying to figure out is, is the BMW lowering 'kit' better/worse/mushier than the Touratech kit?

Does installing on a shorter spring result in a tighter suspension, which improves the handling (from what I've read) - and the manufacturer doesn't matter (whether BMW or Touratch) ? The Touratech kit is $359+shipping, low sidestand is $135... another big cost is labor (3-5 hrs?); ebay for the parts is $100-200 or so... there's still labor of installation.... sooo, if I'm doing this I may as well put on the superior equipment. Thoughts? Hyperpro (Touratech) or BMW?

I'm surprised no one has chimed in that has installed the Touratech lowering kit on an F650 or F700. -- nudge, nudge
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
I'm surprised no one has chimed in that has installed the Touratech lowering kit on an F650 or F700. -- nudge, nudge
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most people don't want their bikes lowered. They buy them specifically because they're high off the ground and thus allow them to tackle off-roads. These are adventure bikes, afterall. :)

And the few of us that do want a lowered bike due to being height challenged, we buy them that way from the factory.

I'm not saying the lowering can't be done. I'm just trying to explain why you don't see many people installing lowering kits.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
terraunbound OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pete, you could be right.

Reaver - dude, you had a great thread from this summer with a similar situation. thanks for your posts ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894997 ) on this topic. Wish I had the space, tools, and skills to make this change myself but I've got a good mechanic who can. Time to save the pennies.