User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
awaffa2003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
1977 R100RS Resto?

Hey all, I've been working on a buddy's RS for some years now. Paint job, engine work, spline greasing, things all over. Now I've picked it up again and it's sitting in my garage waiting on me to replace the main wiring harness and I'm looking at how far I'm gonna have to tear this thing down all over again for the umteenth time and honestly I'm sick of looking at it. How much have you guys spent on taking a bike from that used, 70's hunk of a BMW to a reliable, pretty, touring machine? I feel like my biggest expense would be powdercoating the frame and getting the engine cases, front and rear hub, and triple trees blasted... I've already done the suspension, front and back, new headers and pipes, rebuilt the front calipers...typing aloud am I...? Anyway, thoughts? I'll have pictures up soon.
awaffa2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Yes it's expensive and at the end of the day you will have a bike that costs you more than its worth.........but just think, a new bike loses 20% depreciation the day you take it out of the dealers and a further 10% in the first 12 months.....

I work on my bikes during the January March period, it's my winter therapy, and then I make sure that the bike is ready for spring summer. What I do depends on time finances etc etc, but bit by bit the bikes get changed. My 1070 bike was bought in 1994 and turned from a Bradley used RT to the nice looking R90s replica that goes very well. Don't ask me how much it has cost, but spread over nearly 20 years it has been a darn site cheaper than buying a new bike every 4 or 5 years.

So I would stick with it, get the frame powdercoated this year and replace the frame bearings and wiring loom, that should keep you out of trouble until your riding season starts....
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Cool2 how much I spend...?

...in the end close to $7K...not a frame-off resto either...
Red One

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote