Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
I wonder why KTM would do this? I don't see a market that they would get into that they don't have now.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,383
BMW specifically bought Husky for the off road segment and dumped tons of money into them. Don't know why they would do that now. That's a shame. And why would KTM buy Husky other then to squash it's only actual competitor. Doesn't KTM own Husaberg? And I didn't realize KTM was partly owned by the Indians.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,463
I suspect this is BS. Unless BMW finally unloaded all those unsold X bike engines and is now willing to bargain.

But, if this is legit, I am thinking Strada/Terra or maybe bringing over the Nuda to add a little more street to a very dirt heavy KTM lineup. But, who knows, we aren't the only market in this here big old world.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I suspect this is BS. Unless BMW finally unloaded all those unsold X bike engines and is now willing to bargain.

But, if this is legit, I am thinking Strada/Terra or maybe bringing over the Nuda to add a little more street to a very dirt heavy KTM lineup. But, who knows, we aren't the only market in this here big old world.
The X bikes (650's not 450's) used a Rotax motor and were assembled by aprilia. The new Husqvarna's used a BMW designed motor and were assembled in China.

Reading the comments on other forums now that this story is out it appears its the Indians that are pushing more then the native Austrians on KTM's executive board.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
I hope it's not true, it's bad for consumers to have KTM controlling even more segments of the bike market. Look what they did to Husaberg... Killed them basically now just selling blue KTM's.
Competition and separate innovation is good for us riders. Choice is good, different engineers taking different paths to makes bikes better is good. It's not like Husky designers don't have access to virtually unlimited resources with BMW, yet they still have very separate product lines in the smaller dirt bike segment which BMW doesn't make. (anymore)

It would be like honda buying suzuki and yamaha. Bad for us riders. Sure it would be great in a fantasy world to take the best attributes from separate manufacturers and combine them into one, but that's just a fantasy and not the business world IMO.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:14 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

The other thread says the sale is to KTM's CEO not the company and that he will resign as CEO. If that is true it means more competition not less.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,628
AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.......this would suck-squared! KTM eliminating (or controlling) another competitor.

Husky has been making some great bikes lately. So much so.....I bought one. Picked up my Terra in December. It's freaking fantastic. Proof you should never base decisions on reading a spec sheet. You got to go ride one. And the Husky dirtbikes get amazing traction from whatever voodoo has been designed in the linkage and geometry.

Similar thing with Husaberg. I rode a 70 degree motor design one time and was so impressed I bought one for myself. KTM killed it as soon as they got their hands on it.

Past performance is the best indicator of future performance. KTM is methodically cornering the market, I think.

Quick, go buy your Husky now. I've got mine.....and a real Berg too. I'll be enjoying them for a long time, I hope.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
The other thread says the sale is to KTM's CEO not the company and that he will resign as CEO. If that is true it means more competition not less.

Maybe if that's the case, but how's one guy going to magically come up with widespread distribution and manufacturing without being teamed up with a well established company like KTM or BMW or one of the Japanese companies. Where there's partners, there compromises if they both sell competing bikes.

We shall see, I just hope it's not so, personally. But I ride a Berg' and while I respect the bikes KTM makes and enjoy the quality KTM parts on the Berg' I despise what they've done to Husaberg by killing the last real "Husaberg" designed bikes, probably just to improve profits and not just to make them a better bike. Can't have your little subsidiary designing better bikes with more innovation than you can you?.... Lookout Husky if it gets bought...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

You say that like Husky has a dealer network now.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 157
I agree with Lost Rider. It pains me to see what BMW is doing to Husqvarna as much as it pained me to see what KTM has done to Husaberg. It has me looking to add a 70 degree head Husaberg to the stable while I can still pick up a low mileage example. My TE630 is the last of it's kind and a FS570 would be a great stable mate.

My fear is that KTM will completely do away with one or both in the near future.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
I'd be stunned if this actually happened. Bearing in mind KTM aren't exactly raking cash in at the moment, and I've read suggestions (in the dirt bike press, rather than "More Crap 'n' Nonsense") that the reason the new Bergs are just blue KTMs is that the choice was that or closing the brand down.

The idea of someone high up at KTM taking it on privately is a bit more plausible perhaps.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Awesome news. Thanks Grreatdog.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Since we have a parallel universe going here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
The latest is that Stephan bought Husky, not KTM. Hmmmm.... the plot thickens considerably.

http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/motornieuw...r-van-ktm.html

Web translated:
Like it was already whispered BMW do not sell engine rad its dochterbedrijf Husqvarna Motorcycles, however to KTM but to the personal company of its CEO Stefan Pierer, Pierer called Cross Industries AG. Which consequences this on Pierers role as CEO of KTM is still unclear and in the coming six times will be selected. It speaks for itself that also the European competition authorities will interfere itself, but also the chance is largely present that Pierer will lay down its function at KTM. For quite some time Pierer still the CEO of the Austrian engine company are, but a large part of the shares in this has been sold to the indian motorgigant Bajaj. Purchase of Husqvarna Pierer the possibility is able offer entirely with a clean slate to start again.

The coming months will be examined or there some form of cooperation between Husqvarna and KTM possible is, now already a new model is in any case, however, announced that on the EICMA will already be shown 2013,

Vanmorgen we did not communicate all that KTM in the market were buy Husqvarna, this also a very logical step would not be. BMW ensures sale of Husqvarna considerable face loss. Het Duitse bedrijf pompte miljoenen in het Italiaanse Husqvarna, maar kon er nooit een succes van maken.

Onderstaand organogram is van Cross Industries BV, het bedrijf waarin Bajaj voor bijna de helft eigenaar is. Now if owner makes AG no component, called, of Husqvarna Pierer Industries.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperama View Post
I agree with Lost Rider. It pains me to see what BMW is doing to Husqvarna as much as it pained me to see what KTM has done to Husaberg. It has me looking to add a 70 degree head Husaberg to the stable while I can still pick up a low mileage example. My TE630 is the last of it's kind and a FS570 would be a great stable mate.

My fear is that KTM will completely do away with one or both in the near future.
KTM has owned Husaberg for quite awhile and they have not killed it. While I really like my 70 degree, I think it was lack of sales that ended the design not KTM looking to kill Bergs.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote