ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
OaklandStrom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Holiday View Post
Could use something like that in Queens NY crammed full of people
like sardines nowhere to keep any tools cause the pigeon holes do
not have any space is there a website I can go to check out the dues
and how the place looks like
There's one planned for Brooklyn, but the date is still an unknown.

http://techshop.ws is the website.
The basic idea is that you pay $125 per month (and there are frequent sales) for get access to the shop. Based on wages, real estate prices and standard of living, costs can vary in different markets. Raleigh-Durham costs less than the Bay Area, and Brooklyn may cost more.

To use tools, you need to take a class. Most classes are 2 to 3 hours, and cost $60 to $90. For example, the basic wood shop class covers the table saw, band saw, drill press, sanding station and chop saw. It's 2 1/2 hours long, and costs $65. After you take the class, you can use all five of those tools as much as you want (within reason. Some tools can be reserved). To use the jointer, planer or router table, you take that class. The classes are short, with the goal being safety and basic use - then you have access.

Hours are 9:00AM to midnight, 7 days a week.

The tools are good. The welders are Lincoln, and there are $2,000 welding tables and really nice exhaust suckers/filters. The mills and lathes are Jet and have a good DRO, and you can bring your endmills or checkout a set from the front desk.

The vast majority of tools have no extra fees attached (bring your own wood, sandpaper, stain and screws to the woodshop) but a few have an additional fee for consumables (3D printers, paper printers and the waterjet).

Yes, I'm biased, but it's an amazing resource.

We are looking for instructors. Part time; 15 to 20 hours a month. You get paid, and a free membership.
http://techshop.ws/job_openings.html...n=detail&id=18
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
PABob
Last in Line

Oddometer: 26
You can catch a pittsburgh penguins hockey game sat
PABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
And that about describes the Rufcut gang, don't ya think?
Yep
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
And that about describes the Rufcut gang, don't ya think?
More like old fat dudes shoving wings and beer down their pie holes

Stromer,

I live about 3 minutes from Bakery Square in Shadyside. I'd also love a tour of the place. I do a bunch of bike builds out of a tiny 1 car garage, problem is that I already have most of the tools and would only be interested in a few like the waterjet. Do they do more discounted memberships if you only need access to certain tools? What are the requirements to be an instructor?

I'm usually around most evenings and can grab a beer with you locally or I can drag you out to Quaker Steak for the bike night. Don't get excited though, in the winter it's 6 middle aged guys farting and talking about DR350s.

We could roust up a spare bike and get you out on some frozen trails for a good time

Send me a PM if you want my number.

Pete

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,070
Oh and about neighborhoods, not really. I mean you probably don't want to be in Wilkinsburg at night with an MC Hammer outfit on. Same with Homewood. During the day you really can't go wrong.

Pittsburgh has fabulous museums, mostly the Carnegie Museums.

Being married with 2 young kids I can't really give you an accurate description of the nightlife.

The Strip district is cool to walk on a saturday, lots of cool food shops and vendors, not too far from you either.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
OaklandStrom OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll setup an ADV Tour. What time of day is best for you guys? 6:30? 7:00? Weekend day?

The memberships are all or nothing, but... instructors get a free membership. We want instructors to be really good at what they do, and be able to teach that skill to new users. You do not need a teaching degree, but some amount of experience is going to help get you in the door.

I'll send a PM. You guys tell me what time is best for a tour, if you want to come through as a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
More like old fat dudes shoving wings and beer down their pie holes

Stromer,

I live about 3 minutes from Bakery Square in Shadyside. I'd also love a tour of the place. I do a bunch of bike builds out of a tiny 1 car garage, problem is that I already have most of the tools and would only be interested in a few like the waterjet. Do they do more discounted memberships if you only need access to certain tools? What are the requirements to be an instructor?

I'm usually around most evenings and can grab a beer with you locally or I can drag you out to Quaker Steak for the bike night. Don't get excited though, in the winter it's 6 middle aged guys farting and talking about DR350s.

We could roust up a spare bike and get you out on some frozen trails for a good time

Send me a PM if you want my number.

Pete
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 4,617
Due to my occupation, evenings are best for me.

BTW, I've been teaching for over 15 years. I might be a candidate for an evening instructor at your facility.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
OaklandStrom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Due to my occupation, evenings are best for me.

BTW, I've been teaching for over 15 years. I might be a candidate for an evening instructor at your facility.
http://techshop.com/job_openings.htm...n=detail&id=18

Apply soon, I need to start scheduling interviews at the end of the week.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,206
Hey Gang, A MUST do, for me is Phipps Conservatory, followed by lunch or dinner at Lulu's noodles near CMU on Craigstreet. Also, maybe we could do a Laurel Highlands Field Trip and Fort Neccessity.

I just run a bunch so I dont go out much, but the touristy thing is the "Hard Rock" in station square to get a shirt and all the other places around there. Thats where the fancy professionals go. The not so fancy people go to the South Side. Pittsburgh, and surrounding areas are VERY safe. I would walk anywhere, except where Sailah said, Wilkinsburg, etc, but that is far away. No reason to go there.

greg
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #25
OaklandStrom OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm in the airport now, reading ADV.
Phipps looks interesting, but my west coast, just got back from 5 days in the desert, delicate flower self is going to spend most of my time indoors.

I'm not fancy, and places like the hard rock would be pretty low on my list. I avoid shopping malls, night clubs and places popular with tourists.

Thanks for all the tips, and I'll see some of you out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Hey Gang, A MUST do, for me is Phipps Conservatory, followed by lunch or dinner at Lulu's noodles near CMU on Craigstreet. Also, maybe we could do a Laurel Highlands Field Trip and Fort Neccessity.

I just run a bunch so I dont go out much, but the touristy thing is the "Hard Rock" in station square to get a shirt and all the other places around there. Thats where the fancy professionals go. The not so fancy people go to the South Side. Pittsburgh, and surrounding areas are VERY safe. I would walk anywhere, except where Sailah said, Wilkinsburg, etc, but that is far away. No reason to go there.

greg
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #26
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,206
Anybody for Fathead's Sunday night?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Hey all! I'm headed up that way tomorrow to pick up a super tenere at Miller's in the Uniontown area. I'm coming up from NC and will likely only be in the area 1 maybe 2 nights tops. I'd like to find an affordable hotel near Pittsburgh. I'd also like to taste the best Pittsburgh has to offer then close the night out at a great beer bar. Point me in the right direction. Oh, are the penguins playing Friday night? I'd love to see a game...maybe I'll bring my Devils jersey...ha!

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 224
South Side and the Strip District for lots of places to eat & drink.....and Bloom's Cigars if you're a Brother-of the-Leaf. The Church Brewery in Bloomfield is cool too.
Overdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Anybody for Fathead's Sunday night?

....hmmmmmmmMMMMmmm possible!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
Hey all! I'm headed up that way tomorrow to pick up a super tenere at Miller's in the Uniontown area. I'm coming up from NC and will likely only be in the area 1 maybe 2 nights tops. I'd like to find an affordable hotel near Pittsburgh. I'd also like to taste the best Pittsburgh has to offer then close the night out at a great beer bar. Point me in the right direction. Oh, are the penguins playing Friday night? I'd love to see a game...maybe I'll bring my Devils jersey...ha!

Thanks,

Dan

Pens vs Panthers @ 7:00 pm Fri. Don't know about a cheap hotel....I usually stay at home when I'm in the area