ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
happyker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Where to start around here?

So Im a long time lurker, mostly by way of Google searches as this forum gets me kind of lost some times but really want to become an active member. Or at least semi-active anyway as I have a tendency to disappear from forums for awhile for laziness reasons and then randomly pop back in here and there. I cant seem to find an intro area at all though, is there one? Plus Im not really sure where to dive in and just start posting so I thought maybe I might make an intro post up? I hope this is ok with everyone. Im also on the FZ6-Forum under the same username if anyone wants to background check me, heh.

Im usually a solo rider but thats mostly because I dont really know any other riders, let alone anyone that rides like I do. I use my bike as a way to get around Philly during the winter, a way to commute to NYC during the summer and Ive been noticing a trend every year since I got my first bike to one up myself on a crazy solo roadtrip each and every year.

I bought my first bike, a 2000 Ninja 250 in Sept 2010 then Oct 2010 made it down to Wash DC while living in NYC then (I live primarily in South Philly now but still work in NYC and am looking to move back up there again soon because I make more money up there). Summer of 2011 I rode down through Florida even making it out to the Keys. (Edit: Oh and on the way back from Florida I would have qualified for the 1000K in less than 24 hours for the IBA if I had actually submitted everything including all the receipts I ended up collecting) Then right before the summer of 2012 I sold my Ninja and bought my current baby a 2006 Yamaha FZ6. 2 months later I went on a 2.5 month vacation which involved crossing the country via Route 66 spending some time in Cali including a month in San Fran before almost running out of cash and taking a quicker route back home. I cant stop dreaming of great adventures though and find myself googling ways to ship my bike to Europe (something I dont think I can do this summer and might have to wait till at least Summer 2014, but you never know) among other roadtrip ideas. I think Im officially hooked and worry how much bigger and crazier will my roadtrips be in another few years?

So anyway Id love to make friends with some of you both on the forum and in real life. I love my solo trips but also wish I knew some people who were in love with riding as much as I am so maybe some of my trips wouldnt only be solo ones. So I guess I start here: "Hi my name is Kerri, Im a 26 year old female and am addicted to riding and want to see the world!"

Also, admins please feel free to move this if you feel another section would suit my post better. I simply posted here because I live in the area but dont want to limit my friendships to just people in the Northeast US of course!

happyker screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 09:48 PM
happyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
V8

Oddometer: 9,196
Hi Kerri , welcome !!!
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Looksgoodinblack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
Welcome to the ADV madness. You will fit right in.
As per European trip. You might be better of renting or even buying and selling bike there
'04 DL 650, '87 BMW K75 with Hannigan Astro Sports car, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Welcome!

P.s. I started and met a lot of great people taking part in tag-o-rama
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
happyker OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post
Welcome to the ADV madness. You will fit right in.
As per European trip. You might be better of renting or even buying and selling bike there
So far what Ive come up with (and please feel free to correct me) is that renting is the most expensive way to do it. Especially since when I can pull it off Ill probably end up finding a way to stay out there for at least a few months. Buying and selling sounds like it has its own annoyances but I havent researched it enough yet to see how cheaply I can manage it but it seems I may need to know someone out there to help me with this in terms of registering it and such (also please feel free to correct me).

I really want to use my own bike though if I can get away with it. Some reasons for that will make no sense to anyone but myself including just being annoyingly sentimental and attached when it comes to my vehicles. (Plus I think it would be awesome to ride around Europe on a PA plate, heh). So for now if anyone has any advice to add Ill take it but as this is an open ended plan with no set date, or even year we will cross that ocean when we get to it haha. Then again thats how my cross country trip started too as an open ended plan with no date or year and I didnt think it would happen this past summer until a couple months before hand soooooo.....
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
happyker OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Welcome!

I just found that earlier today and was trying to figure out what it was at first heh. Im still not 100% sure how to play but it seems the current one (as of a few hours ago anyway if no one has gotten it yet) is pretty darn close to where I live and Im about to head out to do some grocery shopping and such so maybe Ill get it while Im out. I need to eat first before I even think of trying for it though or Ill pass out.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
It should be the same as the ones I do. Take the picture of your bike in front of whatever the last person did. Then go somewhere else and take another pic. Upload both in a post. If you have a photobucket account just copy the "img" code into your post where you want the pic to go.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Welcome to the forum! I go to Philly pretty often. Great city, and the food is fantastic.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
happyker OP
Adventurer

Thanks AJ! Thats pretty much what I figured although it took me a few minutes to get it because I started looking at the Google Map link before I started scrolling down heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
Welcome to the forum! I go to Philly pretty often. Great city, and the food is fantastic.
And I go to NYC every week including sleeping in Brooklyn twice a week right now lol. Maybe you will be one of those irl friends I was talking about at some point. Either way thanks for the welcome :)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
talking to a beemer guy a few days ago, not sure on the specifics but you can bring your bike into the EU for up to 6 months on your US paperwork, no need for a carnet. you do need euro insurance though. not sure on specifics, horizons unlimited might point you in that direction better.

oh and this might not be jo momma (you'll find out about that later) but we need pics of you and the bike. sort of a adv requriement heheh

not too many twenty something females on this website
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Welcome!

This is a great way to start participating in the forum. It is how I got started. Also, watch for group rides that get posted that are in your area. This is also a good way to meet people.

dhb400 is online now   Reply With Quote