User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
tdvt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Low Tech, Lightweight 4-stroke engines?

Can't stop thinking about a really light woods bike project, especially after seeing this one in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker43 View Post
The bike below is a modified BBR framed XR200 that used cr85 suspension and wheels. I laced up some full size trials wheels and extended the swingarm so its now the same size as an XR200 but it weighs just under 192 lbs full of gas or about 30 lbs less than the lightest 125 on the list. It has a Powroll stroker 218 motor, MX suspension and brakes and is street legal. It can embarass pretty much anything in the tight woods and with the 6 speed wide ratio trans will cruise 55 without stress. I think its the best bike Honda never built. Ironicly its 95% stock Honda parts bolted to a custom frame, something Honda could have easily done.

Nothing against the Honda motor, but I am not familiar enough with all the stuff that's out there so I thought I'd ask what other engines are comparable to the XR200?

That being; air-cooled, 4-stroke, six-speed, reliable, lightweight package, reasonable power, parts availability, etc.

Any others out there?
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_ybr250_2011.php

First thing that comes to mind is a Yamaha 125 or 250 cc engines that comes in their cheap YBR models. This engines are indestructable, there are a lot of people traveling around the globe on them, some have more than 170.000 km on them and they are still going strong. Only downside is they are 5 speed.

Fuel injected (100 mpg), 20 ponies, featherlight and dirt cheap to buy and maintain.

Honda also has some nice 250 cc in their hornet but that is liquid cooled so it makes things little more complicated and heavier :-)

cheers

a.
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
The Yamaha 225 motors are not super powerful, but neither is a XR200.
The Yami 225 came in the XT225 and in the Serow model. Not sure where yo are at, but it may have a different name where you are at.

Full wet weight for a newer Yami YZ 125 is 208 lbs..
I would really like to see that Honda on a scale...wet.

The YZ125 is about as fun of a bike as EVER built and has some of the best suspension imho. The suspension on that Honda looks sub par for any serious off roading by an adult...but we all like different things, so I can not say what your needs and wants are. I agree that I would like to ride that Honda...small light bikes are always fun.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
this topic interests me, too.

Some of the small motors are e start which adds 10 pounds to the package?

A blaster 200 motor is pretty low tech, i wonder what it weighs and how it would perform.

dr200, klx140

Looks like an xr200 motor weighs 58 pounds
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/951...t/page__st__60
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
tdvt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions. Coincidentally, I was thinking of the YZ125 as a platform but don't really want a 2-stroke hence the engine question.

At the moment I have a TTR250, which is plated here in VT, so I can link up trails & not worry about being hassled. I really like the air-cooled simplicity of it & also the 6-speed but while not a pig, it is a bit heavy. The e-start is pretty nice too but I could live without it if I had to. Something with the same or a little less power but a lot less weight, would be perfect.

It's always interesting to see what people are using on the 'round-the-world excursions.

I found that same info about the XR motor. Best estimate I have on my TTR engine from others, is around 80lbs, quite a bit heavier.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

The XR200 motor is substantially smaller in external dimensions and in weight than the TTR225/250 motor. Not sure why, but those Yamaha motors are pretty beefy for an air cooled simple 4 stroke engine. They are pretty bullet proof though.

It seems as if you are ok with a smaller framed bike {that BBR is a small frame for 80-105 class bike I believe} then look at a Honda CRf150 R....not the F model. That little bike is pretty sick, crazy light, VERY high powered, well suspended and they make springs for the fork and shock for adult weights for them....I do however think you are talking about building something yourself...that is more fun and rewarding.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6033-en

The expert model has the big wheel set up {19" front, 16" rear and the standard has the 17/14 set up}
I have a few grown men friends that race those here in So Cal...they are really fun. The put taller bars, a taller seat, heavy springs and tear it up. A bit high maintanance though compared to say and XR200 motor.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2919/M...irst-Ride.aspx
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
If I remember correctly my XR200 motor weighed 65 Pounds.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

The comparison in that link to thumpertalk is actually not as far away as you might think, unless he planned on bump starting it. He was comparing a 230 with the starter motor mounted on it, but the 200 motor had NO kick start arm on it...not that a kick starter is super heavy, but it is at least 1-2 pounds probably...maybe you could find an aluminum one that fits it to save some weight, but I am just saying that the comparison is not apples to apples...not quite apples to oranges...maybe apples to pears...?

Keep posting what your ideas are... I am interested in the project.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
i have a simular plan when i have the $.

thinking yz 125 + xt 225 = light weight trail bike with e start good suspension and light weight. Would also consider a ttr 250 motor if the weight is not much more. What does a YZ 125 weigh, 200lbs. SO i think 225lbs might be doable, if i keep the steet equipment to minimum.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

If you can street plate a YZ125 frame in MD then that is awesome. We can not here in Californiakistan. Wouldbe nice.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
tdvt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
i have a simular plan when i have the $. thinking yz 125 + xt 225 = light weight trail bike with e start good suspension and light weight. Would also consider a ttr 250 motor if the weight is not much more. What does a YZ 125 weigh, 200lbs. SO i think 225lbs might be doable, if i keep the steet equipment to minimum.
I think the older steel-frame YZ 125's are listed at 192lbs/dry. Have you found out what an XT motor weighs? I think they are a little bit different than a TTR but I'll bet there's more aftermarket stuff out there. Be interesting to know.

Hadn't really thought about dismantling the TTR but I have wanted to upgrade the suspension. Might be easier to just transplant the motor to a YZ roller. Don't think it would be much lighter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
If you can street plate a YZ125 frame in MD then that is awesome. We can not here in Californiakistan. Wouldbe nice.
It's not uncommon to see plated YZ's, WRF's or 2-stroke KTM's over this way, though you wonder how long it may last.

There is THIS THREAD in Thumpers, basically told the DMV it was a custom build. That would actually be the case with an engine transplant. I feel for you guys in California, sounds like there are no loopholes left.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

you cant plate a yz, but i would get the xt plated and then basical ......

Or graft the head tube with the vin onto the yz frame and then adapt the yz forks and tripple back onto the xt head tube, just to make the vin # legit. .
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
bkowal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
A KX100 with a bigger gas tank and flywheel weight..under 160lbs and cheap.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2003/...kx100modified/
bkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
you cant plate a yz, but i would get the xt plated and then basical ......

Or graft the head tube with the vin onto the yz frame and then adapt the yz forks and tripple back onto the xt head tube, just to make the vin # legit. .
I would not tell you not to do that...but I do know that any vin modification is a crime...I believe a FEDERAL crime. Just sayin, if you go that route I would be very careful...especially posting that in a public forum...
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

it would just be a modification to the frame. No differnt then building a trike from a harley and Vw and calling it a motorcycle, instead of a vw behind the small bit of harley and the vin it would be a yz 125 frame.

i wont worry until i have the $ then the real research can begin, if i cant make it under 225lbs it theres not much point. I would just find a plated ttr 250 and put yz suspension on it and cut as much weight as possable and end up around 250lbs.

i already have a plated xr 400 thats around 275-280ish, but i would like estart and better suspenion.

I like the idea of building a usefull bike that is unique. I could also start with a plated ktm frame but would be called crazy for wanting to put a low performance motor in it.