LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Looks like these....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by krellheat View Post
which model/combo ?
http://www.rigidindustries.com/Duall...twoduallys.htm

Dually Hybrid SPOT's look like a good choice for DRIVING LIGHTS!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
krellheat
Pepsi Challenged

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
http://www.rigidindustries.com/Duall...twoduallys.htm

Dually Hybrid SPOT's look like a good choice for DRIVING LIGHTS!
thanks.

Devil's advocate. Hell conscientious and informed and downright argumentative dissenter.
krellheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
madpuma13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Installing HIDs in your GS headlamp(s) is not DOT approved however, we see many youngsters on sportbikes with the blue-purple HIDs scooting around at breakneck speeds and the LEOs don't cite them for illegal headlights.

A properly done HID conversion while illegal, is a way to improve lighting on the GS as well as other motorcycles. Typically, you get 2X the light output at 70% of the consumed power of the OE incandescent with reduced heat. But, use care when aiming the HID headlamp so as to minimize the objectionable glare for oncoming drivers as well as back-scatter when you are driving through rain, smoke, fog, etc. Also, choose the 4300K lamp color to insure minimized eyestrain from UV.

Most LEOs don't know what headlamps came OE on your motorcycle so, you'll likely not be cited if your headlights are not offensively bright or you use them carefully.
There is no properly done hid conversion in a halogen headlight. Doesn't matter how you aim a converted headlight. Halogens were designed to reflect a certain amount of light upward for traffic and highway sign reflection, but not so much that it blinds traffic.

Putting hids in a halogen housing and trying to aim it doesn't fix the problem as that is the way halogens are made to be. They are designed to work with the limited amount of light that is there. The excess light from hids creates glare and can be binding to incoming traffic as well as those directly in front of you.

As I said before everyone overlooks the fact that it hurts everyone else on the road if you do this because from your own perspective all you can see are the positives. More light in front of you, less energy being taxed on your bike, less money to have them installed.

There is a reason why they don't come from the factory with hids installed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
madpuma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
For the HID conversion, did you guys go for the 35W or the 55W?

Can the GS1200 housing handle 55W?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
chewnaut
Rob

Oddometer: 70
DDM 55W @6000k bulb

I've had my DDM Tuning 55W bulb for about 3500 miles now with no problems. IT IS BRIGHTER THAN ANY CAR HEADLIGHTS! Its definitely illegal, I try to avoid hanging out behind cops :) But i love it. Also the spread of light (angle) is very wide coming out of my '12 R12GSA housing. When i was riding this summer between Moab and Monticello, Utah, I was able to see ~100 feet off each side of the road. Most of it is two lane. Damn deer and coyotes couldn't sneak up on me then. Super easy to install. requires that you drill a one inch hole in the headlight housing cover, I used my pocket knife to do it, the plastic is soft. The 6000K color I have is described as "diamond white" and i like it, there is a very slight shade of blue to it but, again, it's slight. For reference the light color resembles my '04 530i xenons. The 55W bulbs are so bright they wash out the color a little, meaning my 55W @ 6000 K looks more like a 35W @ 5000K. Also, I haven't noticed any excessive heat or burning smells coming from the housing. I just looked into the housing and everything looks great.
chewnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
These threads always intrigue me. I have full stock headlights and two sets of axillary lights. one set are bright the other set are BRIGHT!

Whats the point of changing the factory lights to HID... IF you run axillary lights? I understand the reasoning if you don't want to expand your lighting.

Running at night I turn on my bug burners and I can see the earth curve.
I went through this whole decision matrix a couple years ago too and the decision point was on-coming traffic. When I lived in Wyoming I could get away with running "bug burners" but here in Virginia there is just too much on-coming traffic to allow the use of those things except for brief seconds between cars. I ended up with Clearwater Lights "Glenda" auxiliary lights mounted low on the forks. They're LED, very bright, and most importantly, tuneable. You set the output on low beam via a "dimmer" dial, then when you switch to high beam they automatically go to 100% output. When added to the stock (legal) high beam, the difference is enough that I feel very comfy riding in the dark and know that I'm not blinding the on-coming drivers when I switch to low beam.

The dimmer is mounted to the handguard, little dial with blue stripe, out of the weather and easy to reach:

The Glendas are a bit pricey but come with literally everything you need (wiring harness, fuses, wire connectors, etc.) including the mounting brackets and are extremely high quality. I've ridden through downpours and stream crossings where they're fully submerged with no ill effect. They are really bright even in daylight and give that triangle pattern that is supposed to be the best for conspicuity to on-coming cars. I believe they have really helped cage drivers to see me. I'm sure there are 100 options other than the Glendas, I'm just saying that this proved to be a much better option in my experience than trying to improve the stock headlights (which really do suck, but are better than any other bike I've ever owned!). One thing I really like with the fork-mounted lights is that they turn with the wheel, so in low-speed turning (direct steer) conditions they shed light where the fairing-mounted headlight (or crash bar-mounted, etc. aux lights) wouldn't. I find this to be quite nice when riding dirt roads and trails in the dark.

I'm currently saving up for a set of phasers so I can incinerate the ferking deer before they hit me. By the time that technology is available to the public I hope to have the money ready.

Doug
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Doug,

Do you have any pics of how you ran the Glenda wiring up the forks?
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuma13 View Post
There is no properly done hid conversion in a halogen headlight. Doesn't matter how you aim a converted headlight. Halogens were designed to reflect a certain amount of light upward for traffic and highway sign reflection, but not so much that it blinds traffic.
+1 to this.
HIDs do produce a lot of light, but much of it goes in wrong direction. They look brighter, but don't light the road much better and blind the oncoming traffic. I went back to a regular H7.
LEDs H7s are useless for the reasons outlined by rdwalker.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
These threads always intrigue me. I have full stock headlights and two sets of axillary lights. one set are bright the other set are BRIGHT!

Whats the point of changing the factory lights to HID... IF you run axillary lights? I understand the reasoning if you don't want to expand your lighting.

Running at night I turn on my bug burners and I can see the earth curve.
Agreed. I put in the HID low beam conversion and it didnt do much to improve the reach of the light. Then I installed a set of Rigid Dually D2s....WOW!...
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,198

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #26
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by krellheat View Post
which model/combo ?
Sorry I forgot about all the decisions we made. I think we got black exterior with the spot. They also make a 2x3 and a big rail of lights.

We called Rigid and asked about mounting. The can be mounted upside down if need be. My GSA fog light mounts were square holes made of strap. I cut a little piece of aluminum with a hole in the middle ( think fat square washer ) and bolted them on using the stock mounts. My friend spent 4 hours bending 4 pieces of stainless steel to mount his. Everything looks so easy on those chopper shows.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Fast idle cable or choke cable for a 1150?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,198
LOL... brain fade... thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Fast idle cable or choke cable for a 1150?

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuma13 View Post
This may be true, but the effect of the HID conversion I performed on my Y2K 1150GS is so much like a properly done conversion, in that the headlights actually allow me to see the road at night and I am more visible to other motorists at all times of day/night, that it may as well be a properly done HID conversion.

ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #30
madpuma13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
This may be true, but the effect of the HID conversion I performed on my Y2K 1150GS is so much like a properly done conversion, in that the headlights actually allow me to see the road at night and I am more visible to other motorists at all times of day/night, that it may as well be a properly done HID conversion.

Case and point on what is explained in the next paragraph that only the positive effect is paid any attention to. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
madpuma13 is offline   Reply With Quote