Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #31
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Fast idle cable or choke cable for a 1150?

Bingo, we have a winner! Sorry it took a while to respond, I was working .

kimokk, I didn't take any photos of the actual Glenda installation because it was very straight-forward, actually only took about three hours total. You have to remove the tank to access the battery/fuse block and take the windshield and front shroud/cowl off to access the wiring harness for the headlights, then just follow existing wires and zip-tie the new ones on (it becomes quite a wad, but there's room). Make sure you leave enough slack that nothing binds as you move the steering from lock to lock!! I tied the wires from the lights to the fork tube and then to the brake lines and up under the beak from there. I also mounted another auxiliary power point in the dash area when I did that since I had all the wiring exposed. This is a photo I took of my stailess steel brake line replacement project showing the wires from the Glendas re-attached.

I ran out of black zip ties .

Doug
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #32
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuma13 View Post
There is no properly done hid conversion in a halogen headlight. Doesn't matter how you aim a converted headlight. Halogens were designed to reflect a certain amount of light upward for traffic and highway sign reflection, but not so much that it blinds traffic.

Putting hids in a halogen housing and trying to aim it doesn't fix the problem as that is the way halogens are made to be. They are designed to work with the limited amount of light that is there. The excess light from hids creates glare and can be binding to incoming traffic as well as those directly in front of you.
I don't believe anybody here is advocating that HID conversions are legal.

If you are familiar with the low beam GS asymmetrical headlight, you'll recall that this is a projector design with the cutoff mask incorporated into the assembly, a typical design which usually employs a HID burner as the light source. BMW likely chose not to use an HID burner in this low beam due to hardware costs as well as the costs of securing DOT approval.

Converting this low beam to HID improves forward lighting considerably without annoying light scatter for oncoming traffic. There is one caveat; Select a lamp color not to exceed 5000K. Doing so limits light in the UV range which causes eyestrain and an annoyance for oncoming drivers. Also, the spillover (that phenomena that appears like the oncoming vehicle's headlights are changing color) is diminished.

And while I am not stating that converting this low beam to HID is legal (it is not), properly done and carefully aimed, you are safer (more light where it's needed further down the road and daytime conspicuity is increased) with the HID conversion and you'll not be annoying oncoming drivers.

The important thing here is if you are going to convert your headlamp to HID, do so with care, aim your headlamp properly after the conversion and select a lamp color not exceeding 5000K.

Highway signs are retroreflective using reflective glass bead technology which provides high feedback when hit with with little applied light. You can light up an overhead or ground level highway sign with a flashlight. The reflected light from a road sign is improved if the light source is on axis with your eye, often the case with a motorcycle headlight. Mounting your lights as high as possible improves illumination. Lights mounted low are not as effective as those mounted up higher on the vehicle.

Remember, everything we see on a dark roadway at night is reflected light which must travel 2X the distance from your headlamp to the target. More lumens means safer night time riding. Bambi will thank you.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #33
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Highway signs are retroreflective using reflective glass bead technology which provides high feedback when hit with with little applied light. You can light up an overhead or ground level highway sign with a flashlight. The reflected light from a road sign is improved if the light source is on axis with your eye, often the case with a motorcycle headlight. Mounting your lights as high as possible improves illumination. Lights mounted low are not as effective as those mounted up higher on the vehicle.

Remember, everything we see on a dark roadway at night is reflected light which must travel 2X the distance from your headlamp to the target. More lumens means safer night time riding. Bambi will thank you.
I've noticed a huge difference in the brightness of highway signs since installing my fork-mounted LED riding lights. With high beams on and the LEDs at 100% I can see reflector posts and signs a LONG way down the road, kinda like a video game effect. I like it, especially on twisty two-lanes at night. I can also see Ferking Bambi's eyes lit up from farther away not to mention seeing more of what's alongside the road. Very happy with the lights, more really is better so long as you don't blind the on-coming drivers.

Doug
Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #34
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Doug,

Thanks for your earlier pic. Do you have one of the top view with your windshield and beak removed? Thanks.
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #35
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
This may be true, but the effect of the HID conversion I performed on my Y2K 1150GS is so much like a properly done conversion, in that the headlights actually allow me to see the road at night and I am more visible to other motorists at all times of day/night, that it may as well be a properly done HID conversion.

Yep.

I have the older 50W Morimoto's (with a relay on the low side - 1200's ZFE etc. limits the low side to around ~6.5 amps) and it is bright. The only problem I can say for now is that I have to aim the headlight assembly far enough down (to be respectable of others) that the high beam isn't really a high beam anymore.

Safety wise - I am definitely more visible to others. And I will eventually get an aux set of spot or similar LED's for the long range need at night. Here is a very nice set up for the enduro side of things: LED alternative light set-up for the Super Enduro.

High end LED lights range from BajaDesigns, Clearwater, etc. down to the Chinese knock-offs.

I haven't seen a compatible LED replacement bulb (H7 replacement) for the bike yet. Once they do and the price is right, I'll probably jump to the LED.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I've noticed a huge difference in the brightness of highway signs since installing my fork-mounted LED riding lights. With high beams on and the LEDs at 100% I can see reflector posts and signs a LONG way down the road, kinda like a video game effect. I like it, especially on twisty two-lanes at night. I can also see Ferking Bambi's eyes lit up from farther away not to mention seeing more of what's alongside the road. Very happy with the lights, more really is better so long as you don't blind the on-coming drivers.

Doug
You may notice LED tail lights on cars kind of flicker one led at a time occasionally. I saw a video of me riding taken by a friend. My LED tail light was flickering. I thought I was riding my brake, couldn't figure out why my brake light was on and off. Then saw a video of a guy taping his wife riding, same thing LED flickering. Then LEDs on a big trip and I noticed the flickering when my LEDs were behind LED tail lights. It is similar to a helicopter blade or prop blade being seen frozen or still for a second.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #37
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
The only problem I can say for now is that I have to aim the headlight assembly far enough down (to be respectable of others) that the high beam isn't really a high beam anymore.
Since I did the HID lowbeam/highbeam conversion on my Y2K 1150GS, I don't feel the need to use the highbeam during the day anymore. I know I'm plenty visible with just the lowbeam during the day, and the lowbeam housing has a cutoff, so I'm not blinding oncoming drivers any more than necessary.

Although last night, I installed these LED spots to augment my highbeam. Wired with a relay to come on only with the highbeam, they give me instant-on while the HID warms up. Mounts are temporary until I decide for sure I like the location. So far so good:

The LEDs in the photo have a 20 deg beam pattern and provide nearly as much illumination as my highbeam alone, though in a bit wider beam pattern, it seems. I also got a pair of 60 deg's, which I'm planning on mounting lower on my crashbars for daytime visibility.

Cheers!
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
Doug,

Thanks for your earlier pic. Do you have one of the top view with your windshield and beak removed? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't. You don't take the beak off, just remove the windscreen then look for the screws that hold the rest of the cowl that protects the instrument cluster on. It's very straight-forward and obvious once you're in there. I gave it a hard look thinking it might be possible to wire it all up without taking the screen and cowl off, but there's just no access or room to work. It takes only a few minutes to disassemble the front end and put it back together. I must add that I thought my lovely GS was very ugly without that cowl on!

I took the opportunity to blow the dirt and cobwebs out and lubricate the speedo cable while I was in there, too, a 15 second job once it was all taken apart.

Doug
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #39
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
The LEDs in the photo have a 20 deg beam pattern and provide nearly as much illumination as my highbeam alone, though in a bit wider beam pattern, it seems. I also got a pair of 60 deg's, which I'm planning on mounting lower on my crashbars for daytime visibility.

Cheers!
Good feedback. And nice clean bike.

The Squadron's from BajaDesigns (very pricey) have one listed as a driving light which is a combination of flood and spot I had been previously considering. The enduro set up from my previous post has the 10* ones which really reaches out there. So hearing comments like yours definitely helps me in finding the right reflector configuration for what I want... which is now heading towards the 10* to 15* spot configuration.

There are a couple of other vendors out there that offer something comparable - and a lot cheaper - but they also tend to 'sell' their items the way 'they' want to... and I'm not sure of the advertised lumen output or the warranty backing...
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
The Squadron's from BajaDesigns (very pricey) have one listed as a driving light which is a combination of flood and spot I had been previously considering. The enduro set up from my previous post has the 10* ones which really reaches out there. So hearing comments like yours definitely helps me in finding the right reflector configuration for what I want... which is now heading towards the 10* to 15* spot configuration.
I got mine through a buddy at a relatively low $59 per light, so that's why I went with 2 pair. They seem to be of very good quality, and the packaging says they are "Cree" LEDs. At 750 lm per, they aren't the brightest out there, but they are bright and satisfy my needs.

Cheers
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #41
def
I've little to say

The older GSes with the round, asymmetric headlights have a projector style low beam assembly which is made for an HID burner. The dimensions inside the low beam assembly accommodate the extra length of the HID H1 lamp. When converted to HID, the low beam cutoff mask controls the light focused forward thereby keeping unwanted light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. Of course, this assumes that the rider checks and adjusts the low beam height adjustment. The headlamp assembly also incorporates a lever to adjust the height of the light when a passenger is on board.

It appears to me that the older GSes projector low beam was designed for an HID burner and BMW used a cheap incandescent instead.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #42
madpuma13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The older GSes with the round, asymmetric headlights have a projector style low beam assembly which is made for an HID burner. The dimensions inside the low beam assembly accommodate the extra length of the HID H1 lamp. When converted to HID, the low beam cutoff mask controls the light focused forward thereby keeping unwanted light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. Of course, this assumes that the rider checks and adjusts the low beam height adjustment. The headlamp assembly also incorporates a lever to adjust the height of the light when a passenger is on board.

It appears to me that the older GSes projector low beam was designed for an HID burner and BMW used a cheap incandescent instead.
Misinformation at work. These headlights were not designed for hids. Just because they are round is mere coincidence but are still designed for halogen lights that have an output of light much lower than hids provide.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
madpuma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Misinformation at work. These headlights were not designed for hids. Just because they are round is mere coincidence but are still designed for halogen lights that have an output of light much lower than hids provide.

We can discuss this ad nauseum.

Installing an HID burner in the round, projector low beam BMW headlight with the incorporated cutoff mask provides a dramatic increase in down road illumination as evidenced by the large number of inmates who have made the conversion and reported improved headlamp performance.

And yes, it is not legal.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #44
madpuma13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Yes, I agree this topic Is quite cumbersome as those that do it feel they are in the right.

The 1150 gs headlight is round that's it. It's not projector style. The 1200 gs adventure crash bar lights are projector style but still halogen. There is a difference.

Go relieve you're nautiousness somewhere else.

Edit: the 1200gs adventure lights are not actually projectors. They are styled as projectors but still use the lens to scatter light in various directions.

madpuma13 screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 07:51 PM
madpuma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #45
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:

I have owned both the 1150 and 1200...and I can confidently say that the 1150 housing/lens directs the HID output infinitely better than the 1200. There were very clear cutoffs on the 1150...while the 1200 is sloppy in low HID, and off the scatter scale on high HID in my experience...

In any case...to those harping on the illegality of HID lighting...I can only say, "Fuck your Prius"... ;>
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote