Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
That's good to know. Is it the same length? (I don't want shorter, i have big feet.) .
The foldable gear shift is 5" and the OEM is 5.25", so yes the BBR is shorter. (sorry about your feet!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
ZETA lists levers - and the clutch perch+lever set - for the CRF250L but they are unique to the bike, not the same part numbers as any others.
Yes thank you! CRFsOnly started carrying the Zetas in the shorty 3-finger size so I got those. Here's the brake lever, which does include a pushrod for the brake light.

I think the longer length lever might've interfered with the Acerbis guard. Also, the throttle cables needed to be moved around a little to clear everything and not bind.

And here's the clutch side, complete with pivoting action!

The OEM perch together with the OEM bars doesn't allow any tilting of the perch so the lever is where the lever is. Seems ok though haven't ridden yet.

I also got a rear rack from CRFsOnly which seems very nice and the included bolts and spacers were also nice quality.

I really like the black rack but then I have the OEM black fender/plate holder, black exhaust, and black exhaust guard.

cheers
08 Beta Rev3 125
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Great thread, lots of useful info, Thanks!

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
The foldable gear shift is 5" and the OEM is 5.25", so yes the BBR is shorter. (sorry about your feet!)
Thanks. hmm, 6mm, not so bad, it might work for me, given that i never use my mx boots. Good to know that CRF230 gear levers are an option. I saw that one guy used a YZ125 gear lever, but then i found that there are three different version listed, for three different year models of the bike.

Thanks for the pics. :) That's the rack i want to get; nice to see more pics of it. i like the way the mounting parts are made - vs the ones that are just the tubes pressed flat. And the crossbars - some of the other racks have them going the other way, or they're thin rods.

Quote:
Yes thank you! CRFsOnly started carrying the Zetas in the shorty 3-finger size so I got those.
shorty levers, dog-leg style - main reason why i got them. i've got all this stuff but i haven't been able to do anything with the bike yet. :-/ I hope i can get some of it done this weekend.

Wheeling Cycle Supply for ZETA and DRC stuff - well known for excellent service. CRFsOnly, just part of my frustrations and difficulties with getting stuff for this bike. No good for overseas shipping; the shipping calculator gets it ridiculously wrong - like twice the normal rate for International Priority, and then they say they would refund the difference when the actual shipping cost is settled. #NO.THANKS.

I also got all the engine plugs - the red bling, and the ZETA ED bash plate. Odd thing about the bash plate...they told me they had found that it does not fit the US version of the bike, so i said mine isn't the US version, it's would be the AUS/UK version or the Thailand version, so i would take a chance. But i haven't got to trying it yet. :-/ I can't imagine how the US version would differe where the bash plate mounts - i suppose it's something to with how it mounts at the rear, where the OEM one clips in.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Thanks for posting up and adding to the pool of LRP info fellows!

Upon request, here's the tool tube setup I have done to the bike, getting rid of the worthless OEM tool storage box and adding a tool tube.

I bought the tube here, for $4.99 plus shipping:

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-can...-seal/p/67670/

I use a bag similar to this for carrying tools, it's cheap, durable and being clear lets you find things inside easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-VIEW-C...item35c3de6fd5

Start out with removing the OEM tool box with a couple bolts hold it on, then to remove the helmet lock with security bolts I used a trusty Dremel to cut slots in them, making it easy to use a screwdriver to remove.

After removing the side panel I found an existing place on the subframe to mount a piece of aluminum flat bar to for the front tube mount, here's an example of the aluminum, though I sourced mine locally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pieces-3-1...8285%26ps%3D54

Again, using the trusty Dremel I cut a slit through the plastic fender for the bracket to go through.

While it was tight to get a bolt and lock nut in the limited space I was able to do it and get a needle nose plier in there to tighten it all up and mount the bracket. I felt the single bolt would provide enough strength to hold the front of the tube, not wanting to drill into the subframe.

It would be possible to mount the tube direct to this bracket, but wanting to get it as close to the frame, "hiding" it and helping protect it by not sticking out I added this standoff I had already. I believe it came from some hand guards I didn't use anymore after breaking them and going to HDB guards, it was already threaded making things a little easier, but I don't see why any standoff/pipe could be used with a nut and bolt.
I also cut a small piece of aluminum to mount behind the tube, adding some strength to it by reducing flex and increasing the metal surface area.

For the rear I used the existing helmet mount and holes in it to add a few pieces of aluminum for the rear bracket.

And voila!
A solid, out of the way place to carry tools, or a MSR bottle of fuel on the LRP.
It might be a crude install, but it works and didn't cost much at all, I'm sure my install can be improved upon, this just shows one way to do it, and that a tool tube does indeed fit nicely in the position.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 07:44 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
remember gasoline and fire never mix
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Unless you need to start a campfire in the rain...

Hi Ben!

LostRider.com
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Unless you need to start a campfire in the rain...
Hi Ben!
hey Finn!

I pick up my new bike tmrw!!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Here's the install for the Flatlands tail rack if anyone's interested, very easy to get right the first time when drilling with the included hardware.

Remove rear plastic, install pointy bolts into the subframe, place tail piece over them, press down to clearly mark where the holes you need to drill are to be located, drill away, removes pointy bolts and install rack with included hardware.
The directions are clear and it takes only a few minutes, seems pretty foolproof.
We're found the Flatlands rack to be just perfect providing tie down points in just the right places for carry stuff for the longer rides while not adding too much weight and looking minimal when empty.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 11:47 AM
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Lost Rider: My old Husky TE610 had a similar arrangement for rack attachment, but your pix show where those mounting holes are on the CRF....they were out in the open on the 610. There are significant advantages to your rack over the "manracks" rack I have for my CRF. The rack plate on my husky was thick birch plywood. Did you mention that drilling big holes thru the fender was easier using step drills that are very inexpensive at harbor freight?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I just ordered my tool tube. I wondered where you had gotten that and how you put it on.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Lost Rider,

What kind of saddle bags are you using?

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
Lost Rider,

What kind of saddle bags are you using?

He's got the Giant Loop MoJavi on there
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
He's got the Giant Loop MoJavi on there
Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #29
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 773
I wouldn't be too keen on fitting a tool tube, I put one on my BM and it didn't last the first dirt road I took it on. Got home with 2 bits of plastic and no BMW tool kit. Seriously pissed orf.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
I wouldn't be too keen on fitting a tool tube, I put one on my BM and it didn't last the first dirt road I took it on. Got home with 2 bits of plastic and no BMW tool kit. Seriously pissed orf.
That sucks! So you lost everything then? That would certainly be very disappointing.