Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #46
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Thanks for the thumpertalk links. They convince me the judder spring business has to go. I will reread your work, order what stock CRF discs/plates must be added/exchanged, then order new springs. Call it preventve maintenance 'cause I plan to take that sidecover off to clean the pickup screen at the 600 mile service interval anyway....Every Honda I ever had needed that screen cleaned right away....
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #47
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
EVAP Canister Question

I think this question fits in the Traveler Thread:

What's the impact of removing the CRF's EVAP canister for performance reasons vs. shitting on the environment?

I do my best to abide by the leave no trace principle. The confusing thing for me is that most other countries don't require the EVAP canister. I've also read mixed reviews on whether you get any actual performance increase by taking it out.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #48
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,056
I've removed the canister on other bikes in the past but since our CRF runs great as is I'll be doing the Green Thing and leaving this one on. YYMV

Right on Ed, glad to have inadvertently found a good mod! It has a slightly different feel now and I like it.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 11:28 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #49
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Thanks for the tool tube post, Lost. I think I will try this with some thicker Kydex strips rather than aluminum bar stock though. A little bit easier to work with and with the advantage of being able to form it.

=RT=
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #50
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Right on Ed, glad to have inadvertently found a good mod! It has a slightly different feel now and I like it.
Pitching judder business kinda goes with thoughts on thumpertalk, and RamZ
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #51
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Lost Rider: So, to summarize, you replaced all your friction plates...including the narrow one with the EBC ones, & pitched the 2 "judder bits". Then, to ease the clutch pull, you stayed with the stock springs. Right? And you AND Nancy are happy. Right? Gonna hold off and see what RamZ does, but I'll bet $ he'll end up exactly where you are WITH the EBC springs. My opinion is pitching the narrow friction plate and the 2 rings, add a stock friction plate and shimming the springs is the "economy" solution. Further, include all this with the 600 mile service and clean the screen, and be DONE!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #52
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Lost Rider: So, to summarize, you replaced all your friction plates...including the narrow one with the EBC ones, & pitched the 2 "judder bits". Then, to ease the clutch pull, you stayed with the stock springs. Right? And you AND Nancy are happy. Right? Gonna hold off and see what RamZ does, but I'll bet $ he'll end up exactly where you are WITH the EBC springs. My opinion is pitching the narrow friction plate and the 2 rings, add a stock friction plate and shimming the springs is the "economy" solution. Further, include all this with the 600 mile service and clean the screen, and be DONE!

Yes, yes and yes.
Nancy has never had issues with clutch control and is fine with how it is.

But for Ramz it should be a necessity with his long list of mods in the motor, for me it was a necessity with the EBC pad kit, for more experienced riders that want less of a friction zone and more abrupt clutch it's an easy mod, but I'm not sure it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for many riders, especially newer riders that could benefit from having a more forgiving clutch action. There's no data if this mod will make the clutch pads last longer or be more reliable, just change the action and feel.
Time will tell, makes sense for you to wait until the break in is over, then you'll have a few miles seat time to see if you want to fine tune the clutch action.

I'd imagine that just replacing one pad wouldn't make as much of a difference, but after replacing all the pads I'm about to change the oil again @ 500 miles on them, before we go on a long trip. Bedding in the new pads will contaminate the oil just the same as the initial break in, knowing the bike will see lots of miles next week I'm going to change the oil. Might not be so bad if you do the judder mod with just one pad.

Speaking of, I found these filters at a KTM/Yamaha shop, it's good to know I can find an alternative to Honda filters while traveling. $6

LostRider.com
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #53
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Lost Rider: Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, there is a decent probability the clutch revisions are a solution for a non-problem. Yes, a quick oil change is important after clutch work. Sorry, I refuse to use aftermarket filters. Like the old Fram commercial....pay me now...or pay me later. I worked in the fuels and lubes department at Ford for 10 years. There is a whole raft of junk oils and junk filters out there. I'll buy Fram car filters....but their motorcycle filters are farmed out to the lowest bidder....and quality is horrid. Current low bidder is India.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #54
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Just a shout out to everyone to say Hi. I've been reading the forum and enjoying the posts and topics. I figured it's a good idea to join in and share stuff now and then. Couldn't find a new member thread, so...

I figured I'd say Hi on this thread because I own a 2013 CRF250L, and I intend to make the most of the bike -- including longer trips.

My bike (AKA, Clyde) is stock, with a few added accessories; i.e. rack, tail bag, gas-pak, and windshield. And I'm lovin' it!

Cheers,
J.R.
ScootToots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #55
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Howdy J.R.!

Welcome to the party, if you plan on doing some longer trips then this is a good place to hang out. ADVrider.com, this thread, etc.
Beware though it's addicting!
Looking forward to seeing how you set up your bike and where you end up.

Cheers

Finn

LostRider.com
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #56
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Howdy J.R.!

Welcome to the party, if you plan on doing some longer trips then this is a good place to hang out. ADVrider.com, this thread, etc.
Beware though it's addicting!
Looking forward to seeing how you set up your bike and where you end up.

Cheers

Finn
Thanks Finn, I'm going to do my best to have many good adventures. I've learned a lot from reading these threads. Here is a shot of Clyde (my CRF250L). I am building a blog to record and share my thoughts and adventures with Clyde. Also a good spot to review any accessories or modifications I add. Just a few accessories so far. The ScootToots link in the signature will take you there if you care to have a gander.

Cheers,
J.R.

ScootToots screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 09:59 AM
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #57
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Hauling Pig

I've spent the past couple weeks going over options for hauling my CRF up to Pennsylvania while visiting family. It's about a 900 mile round trip from NC to where they live in PA. I finally settled on a receiver mount hualer, the one I got was from Northern Tool, the steel version, I think it was around $90. I'm fairly pleased with how it worked, we made the trip without incident. It's not terribly difficult for one person to load and unload. Here's a pic of what it looked like loaded up:

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #58
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Callison,

It's good that the bike doesn't weigh more than it does. I would imagine it would lighten the steering if it did with all the weight out back like that. I'm guessing it must have a jack for loading/offloading. Cool! Hope you had fun once you got it there.

J.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #59
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

There is a ramp for loading/unloading. I'm able to push it up with out a problem, same with the unload. As far as having weight on the back, it felt about like I was pulling a trailer. The Pilot comes with a class three receiver, I think it's rated at 500lbs tongue weight. It felt solid when I was driving and didn't kill my gas mileage. For shorter trips it's a fairly convenient alternative to a trailer.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #60
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed the Dobek EJK last night. I've done a couple of short test rides and commuted to work this morning, s far I'm pleased with the difference it makes. It seems to be much more smooth coming off a rolling start in second gear. There's no hesitation as it pulls up from the lower RPM's. The popping I had been experiencing with engine breaking has disappeared, I would say that overall the bike seems to be quieter.

The company was easy to deal with, I contacted sales to inquire about their veteran's discount ($75 off), they happily obliged, sent the correct part number for the LRP and I placed my order. I noticed that they sent version 3.5 of the EJK, the only difference I between 3 and 3.5 is that you can remove fuel from the mapping.

Installation was simple, I opted to mount mine under the seat. Initially I was confused, After I installed the unit I turned the key on and the unit started flashing it's error code. It's not until you actually start the bike that the unit goes into ready mode. After smacking my forehead I was off for a test ride.

Bringing this back to traveling, I'm on the hunt for additional fuel options.