Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #61
PeterS
Loves big headlights...

Oddometer: 25
Hyperpro Shock

I also posted this in the owners thread, but dont want it to get burried:

For those who are looking for a full adjustable shock with remote reservoir:

I handed over my bike to the guys at Hyperpro and they measured it and made a full adjustable shock for my weight + luggage.
They used my bike to get the specs for a shock for the CRF250L and now have them available for the market.

The rear shock is now finished, next week they have the new spring for the forks ready.

I made a testdrive today and it feels and drives great!

My girlfriend and I are planning a RTW-trip on these bikes and although they are great, the suspension is just not up to it for travelling with luggage.

PeterS screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 09:13 AM Reason: picture upsidedown
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #62
Shooplick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
is that a remote preload adjuster?

if so its now in my list of parts. thanks for sharing.
Shooplick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #63
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,133
That's great news, finally a high quality shock from a reputable company with preload adjustment. remote preload is a must for folks using their bikes for varying adventures, perfect for your RTW trip Peter! Thanks for sharing, added to the index.

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 10:17 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #64
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Some recent photos of ours having fun getting Lost on the LRP!

LostRider.com
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #65
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost rider View Post
some recent photos of ours having fun getting lost on the lrp!

nice!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #66
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Paradise @ Mt. Rainier

A ride up to Paradise this week after work. Nice and calm on the twisties because there was still plenty of ice on the road to go around.

DirtyBlackIrish screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 10:55 PM
DirtyBlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #67
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
A ride up to Paradise this week after work. Nice and calm on the twisties because there was still plenty of ice on the road to go around.

Nice!

Looks cold though!

LostRider.com
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #68
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Nice!

Looks cold though!
Yeah it was about 1930 when I got up there and I had forgotten that it was in the shade the whole way that time of the day. Nuts were certainly in true walnut form by the time I got up there. But it was perfect. Had the whole place to myself because of the time and that it was during the week. Tried to hit some forest roads on the way up but there was still to much snow and I was alone.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #69
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Finally the snow is gone from most of the higher elevation dirt roads around my home in Kelowna B.C. So happy that I can go as far as I want without being stopped by snow.

We have some awesome temperatures for this time of year. Today it is 32 C. Gotta love it.

I had a great ride on the dirt today. Learning to get the feel for how the bike slides on sandy or loose gravel corners. I find I can ensure the rear wheel slides before the front by selectively weighting the outside peg in corners.

Here's a shot I took this morning on McCullough Road. The lake is of course, McCullough Lake. Ain't it pretty?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #70
Buckshot77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
MSR Shifter

Looks good,fits well,very soft,recommended.

Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #71
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootToots View Post
Finally the snow is gone from most of the higher elevation dirt roads around my home in Kelowna B.C. So happy that I can go as far as I want without being stopped by snow.

We have some awesome temperatures for this time of year. Today it is 32 C. Gotta love it.

I had a great ride on the dirt today. Learning to get the feel for how the bike slides on sandy or loose gravel corners. I find I can ensure the rear wheel slides before the front by selectively weighting the outside peg in corners.

Here's a shot I took this morning on McCullough Road. The lake is of course, McCullough Lake. Ain't it pretty?
Man, you guys hit 90F already in BC and in the same sentence talking about snow melting! I don't even think we've hit 90 here in Atlanta yet, but that's okay, because we'll hit that 90+ for weeks on end this summer with high humidity and it will be miserable.

Glad to hear you got some nice weather to enjoy the bike and some great scenery. BC is beautiful!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #72
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Man, you guys hit 90F already in BC and in the same sentence talking about snow melting! I don't even think we've hit 90 here in Atlanta yet, but that's okay, because we'll hit that 90+ for weeks on end this summer with high humidity and it will be miserable.

Glad to hear you got some nice weather to enjoy the bike and some great scenery. BC is beautiful!
Yeah, it's a bit early for us to get these temps. later in the summer we are hot and dry for months on end, being semi desert where we are.

I know what you mean about the humidity where YOU are. I come from (decades ago) Southern Ontario (just south of Detroit) where summers are very humid.

Cheers,
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #73
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
an LRP and DRZ spend a couple days at Big Bend

We went to Big Bend a couple weeks ago since it was "on the way home" from Austin to Taos NM. This trip, we only did one day in the Nat'l Park and one in the State Park, but we're planning to go back in December to ride out the rest of the roads.

If you're looking for a beautiful ride report with fabulous pics, detailed gps tracks, and interesting history, please go read Cannonshot's report here "A CannonRide Around the Bend (Big Bend Region) ". He did the best job that I think could be done on his ride report. And we very literally would have been lost without his gps tracks, which he kindly uploaded here in "CannonTracks - Big Bend Texas Region".

Big Bend National Park
Here we are after riding 17 miles from Lajitas, where we stayed. As a precaution, we filled up in Study Butte before hitting the park.

We headed down Old Maverick Rd which is still graveled and therefore has no traffic. NMTrialsGuy tested out the LTP a bit on the gravel. I thought the front tire felt more unsteady than my old CRF230L would've, but NMTG thought it just felt more like his DRZ (handling-wise) than the little 230. In other words, like a life-size bike!

He really likes the LRP low-end power but hasn't ridden it at high(er) speeds on pavement to where I'm sure his 400 would blow away the LRP. But he has a hard time getting it away from me to ride anyway.

Alas, graveled Old Maverick Rd becomes boring paved Maxwell Rd.

Soon we come to the Santa Elena Gap, which never seems to look as gargantuan as it is until you get right down to the river.

Of course, since it's on the other side of the Rio Grande, it's in Mexico.

We decided to have a bite to eat at a nicely shaded picnic table before taking the short hike down to the river to get the above pic.

We chatted for a bit with a really nice guy on a Super Tenere who was from Knoxville and also had decided to go to Big Bend "on his way home". Seemed like a lot of that going around!

Our next scenic stop was Sotol Vista, where the Santa Elena Gap was 14 air miles away but further on twisty, rollercoaster paved Maxwell Rd. On the pavement, the 250L handles a lot like my CBR250R, even with the different transmission etc. SOOOOO incredibly much better than the 230L. The S.E. Gap is squarish divot almost on the horizon.

The same nice guy on the Super Tenere stopped at the Sotol Vista and kindly offered to take a pic with the two of us. Didn't I say he was a nice guy?

Big Bend Ranch State Park
Riding the State Park from Lajitas isn't fun if you're planning on flogging the 4x4/high clearance roads, at least for us types that are not very fit. The River Rd was *very* fun and aptly named. We were there on a Saturday but, maybe because it was April, there just wasn't any traffic. Maybe a half-dozen cars.

And no big trucks, perhaps because of the 16% grade hill. Nice overlook though.

These two pics were taken on the way back, when even the DRZ's gel seat wasn't cutting it and the stock 250L seat made me vow to try something, anything else. No soft cushy rabbit roadkill around though.

After getting our daily entrance fees and waivers done at Ft Leaton, we went on into to Presidio to fill up before heading into the park. The LRP was carrying 1.3 gallons of extra fuel in MSR bottles, in a GL MoJavi which worked out great. Thank you Rick Ramsey for thinking of that one! I never did need the fuel but I also never felt the weight of it, carried down low like that.

Even with my Garmin and NMTG's Voyager, the $4.50 for the SP map was well worth the price. We're pretty noobs at GPS', though.

We had decided to do a shortened Casa Piedra loop in the Cienega/ Alamito lowlands as it was the closest loop to the Park entrance. The entrance road and branch road up to this trailhead was another nice, very wide, gravel road.

The Casa Piedra trail was very difficult for me but I'm very happy to have done it and look forward to going back and getting better at it. I think this was the 6th time I'd ridden the 250L and the first time on a trail like this.

As you might expect there were bike naps. Three in total.

I only took one pic though so I guess the other two didn't happen? This fall and the last fall were from getting off-line going uphill and not being able to get the bike steered back onto the track. The middle fall was in the middle of a wash and just sand noobness at not being able to stay upright. With the two of us, it was no big deal to get the bike upright.

The only time I felt the seat height was a bother (I have a 32" inseam and easily have the balls of my feet on the ground when riding this bike) was on a quite steep descent that was also cambered so that I didn't have a dab option on the left, at least not before reaching the hillside edge.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We had lunch at a lovely spot at the Almamito creek under the shade of a tree. Good thing, since it was 94 degrees out.

I never noticed any trouble with the LRP due to the heat. Or dropping it, for that matter. It hit and went over rocks bigger than the 230L could've and felt stable enough on the trails as well as having enough grunt to get up the hills. I was very glad to have the 13T for the downhill parts. Through some of the narrow v-bottomed washes, the rear suspension would throw me up off of the seat. On the 230L, I stood up a lot more but at least on this ride, standing up was harder on the 250L; the rear tire didn't feel grounded to me when I stood up. Just something else to practice, along with the smooth throttle control that I asked about in the Owner's thread.

Unfortunately, while I was getting through over and around everything, I was too tired to take more pictures. We made the loop to Casa Ramon and back through the washes and through the roly-poly washes and finally got back to the trailhead and the gravel road.

Then it was several more miles to the park entrance, more to Presidio to gas up again, and then 50-odd miles back to Lajitas. At the Park entrance, we could've just dumped our extra fuel into the tanks but we were too tired to think of that.

We finally made it back and, after several excellent margaritas and a good dinner, the bikes were tucked in for the night.

I got around 65 mpg on all the rides, according to the GPS miles not the odo since I don't yet have a SpeedoDRD installed along with my 13T countershaft sprocket. But it was weird that the fuel gauge would be down to one bar but only a gallon would fit in the tank.

It's not easy to read the Zumo both standing and sitting in this location but haven't come up with a better place. The power jack is run to the PDM60 that's mentioned above in this thread. I really like the nice clean look for the jack and grip switch.

The fender bag stayed on nicely and we were very happy not to have a flat to use it!

The fender waggled in the strong winds (20-30mph) and I'm going to try to duplicate a fender brace like the DRZ400s have available to them.

Love seeing the adventuring LRPs in this thread! Hope you enjoyed reading this one.

cheers
tilliejacques is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #74
goldham
Super Geek

Oddometer: 19
Valve Check Thanks

Hey Lost,

Inspired by you, I decided to do the valve check myself instead of sending it to the stealership. Normally I wouldn't have even thought twice about it and paid $80+ /hour. Just wanted to say thanks for all the DIY tutorials.

-Graysen
goldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #75
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldham View Post
Hey Lost,

Inspired by you, I decided to do the valve check myself instead of sending it to the stealership. Normally I wouldn't have even thought twice about it and paid $80+ /hour. Just wanted to say thanks for all the DIY tutorials.

-Graysen
I concur! His procedure and pics is what made me decide to do my own as well.