ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
rinoman
Let's ride

Oddometer: 117
utah

I am trying to get my friend over to White sand wash at that time period.
Will see, perhaps I will see you there.
Tomas
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Wish I could join you on this trip too and double up my spring Moab fun. I'm going on the April trip.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
BigStick
Discovering

Oddometer: 48
Just a heads-up, the Easter Jeep Safari is the 23rd through the 31st.

Does anyone know how this would impact the White Wash area?

We're considering a Spring Break trip to White Wash / Moab and so we may join in the fun!

-'Stick!

"A motorcycle is whatever you want to make it. Turn it on and you can give yourself a real thrill!"
~ Bruce Brown, On Any Sunday

AMA Lifetime Member
BigStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
brav
Falls-alot

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
Just a heads-up, the Easter Jeep Safari is the 23rd through the 31st.
Thank you! Totally forgot to look into that. I'll likely be rerouting to whitewash if I can persuade our group.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Paul,
I'm pretty certain I'd be in for this gig. I was thinking of heading out there around that time anyway with the motorcycle and mtn bike to have some fun. My roommate hopefully will join as well as we were already talking about it. Will follow the thread and we can work out details on everything.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
Easter Jeep Safari is the 23rd through the 31st
Quote:
Originally Posted by brav View Post
Thank you! Totally forgot to look into that. I'll likely be rerouting to whitewash if I can persuade our group.
I've been in Moab during a couple of the big jeep events and it's never been an issue for me. It's tough to get a hotel room, but I usually camp and I've always camped far enough out that there were no crowds to deal with.

The trails have been easy to handle as well. Most of the time all the jeeps are stopped anyway and it's easy to ride around them.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
brav
Falls-alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
I've been in Moab during a couple of the big jeep events and it's never been an issue for me. It's tough to get a hotel room, but I usually camp and I've always camped far enough out that there were no crowds to deal with.

The trails have been easy to handle as well. Most of the time all the jeeps are stopped anyway and it's easy to ride around them.
You trying to keep White Wash all to yourself? I mean, right, Moab should be fine.

We are headed to white wash. Kids prefer it. Wives hate it as it's always windy in the spring. Once, at white wash, I found my tent not where I left it. In the group now (who knows who will end up going), ages are 9, 2 x 11's, 2 x 15's, 17, and parents (older then 17) of course.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
You trying to keep White Wash all to yourself? I mean, right, Moab should be fine.
Actually I was thinking I would head farther south and camp with you guys, but if your plans are already changed to WW then I'll stick with that. Are you planning on camping at the big staging area on top of the bluff that overlooks the dunes? or do you have a more remote campsite in mind?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
brav
Falls-alot

I try to stay off the bluff, preferring to camp further down Ruby, towards the river. There are a few spots that can accommodate 3-10 rigs, before turning into the dunes. I like staying in that area as its central to all the trails, if not a bit west of the majority we like to ride.
Another place to camp is down toward the river bed from the bluff your speaking of. problem is the road to get there is a bit treacherous, not conducive to a tow behind my friend takes to camp in. Would probably rip the front-bottom edge off. Hard enough getting it to the Dunes from I-70. Some folks camp on the river bed itself. Crazy! I'd be afraid of getting stuck or water coming down the river bed. Flash flood, save the bikes! But then again, I've never seen water in the river bed, so what do I know.
Lets hope for some moisture in the area before we get there. Makes the river bed fun!
I found a new area to me last time I was there. Probably something the kids can handle. Though your kid is probably better then me, practicing on ice and all.
Holy crap, diarrhea of the mouth. Can you tell I'm counting the days? Don't forget your Utah stickers.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I'd rather stay off the bluff too. I'll be pulling a 27' travel trailer. It has reasonable ground clearance, but the turning radius isn't all that great and when the road start getting off camber I start getting scared. Given my predicament, where do you suggest I camp?

BTW, the KX is now running much better and I'm starting to get real excited about the dunes.

Quote:
I try to stay off the bluff, preferring to camp further down Ruby, towards the river. There are a few spots that can accommodate 3-10 rigs, before turning into the dunes. I like staying in that area as its central to all the trails, if not a bit west of the majority we like to ride.
Another place to camp is down toward the river bed from the bluff your speaking of. problem is the road to get there is a bit treacherous, not conducive to a tow behind my friend takes to camp in. Would probably rip the front-bottom edge off. Hard enough getting it to the Dunes from I-70. Some folks camp on the river bed itself. Crazy! I'd be afraid of getting stuck or water coming down the river bed. Flash flood, save the bikes! But then again, I've never seen water in the river bed, so what do I know.
Lets hope for some moisture in the area before we get there. Makes the river bed fun!
I found a new area to me last time I was there. Probably something the kids can handle. Though your kid is probably better then me, practicing on ice and all.
Holy crap, diarrhea of the mouth. Can you tell I'm counting the days? Don't forget your Utah stickers.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
brav
Falls-alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Given my predicament, where do you suggest I camp?
With us!

email sent with suggestions in google earth format.

Regarding the green machine: that will be a scary ride. something with traction and power. yikes! I'll have to give it a go if you will allow.

I just finished rebuilding the top end on my bike. I'm trying to get hours on it before white wash so I have some confidence on the reliability. I probably just screwed myself as it used to be a super reliable XR400, now its a ??????

I'll have a good headlight on it (new since MB500), so I'll be ready for some night riding.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Hey guys just wanted to let you both know that I'm still interested in joining. How long are you both planning on being down there?
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #28
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Hey guys just wanted to let you both know that I'm still interested in joining. How long are you both planning on being down there?
I'll be there the 24th-28th (maybe a little longer, but those dates I'll definitely be there.)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
brav
Falls-alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Cool, will be good to see you there.

Hopefully get there either Friday or Saturday to get a spot. I have to watch the weather on the passes. If it snows, I'm screwed. We are leaving either Wednesday or Thursday.

You bringing the Mandolin?

Here's my rig for the trip

And camp last year in White Wash. We are a very tidy camp. Blue bike messed up the theme.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Hopefully get there either Friday or Saturday to get a spot.
Friday the 22nd?

Quote:
I have to watch the weather on the passes. If it snows, I'm screwed. Here's my rig for the trip
Yes, that rig might be a little scary on a snowy pass.

That reminds me of my spring Moab trip two years ago. It was me and my two older kids. On the way out there my kids picked up some virus at the Subway in Fairplay and threw up all over Farnham's house that night in Vail. It rained on us the entire time there (I thought the place was a desert?) It was so muddy I almost couldn't get the truck down the dirt road back to the highway. Then on the way back my truck threw and engine code and started running real rough. The mechanic in town said he wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem without tearing down the engine so he suggested we drive home with the engine the way it was (it sounded like a diesel [but it wasn't a diesel]). Then we got hit by a blizzard in Vail and it took us a couple hours to get over the Pass. At least I couldn't hear the knocking noise from the engine over the clunking noise of the snow chains. I didn't feel safe taking the rig over Hoosier Pass so we took the long way through Denver. We stopped at a Wendy's just south of Denver at about 10:00 that night to get some food. There was an apparently drunk guy asking the Mexican cashier for directions to a mall in Colorado Springs. The cashier did not speak English well and couldn't understand the drunk guy. I went over to try and help. The drunk guy turned out to be Gary Busey (and he wasn't drunk, he's just real weird). We had woken up at 6 in the morning. We made it home around midnight.

It turns out the truck had a cracked piston. We're lucky to have made it home. I sold the truck to some Mexican who couldn't speak English well. Good memories...