ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Oh, and about that part: it depends on your perspective whether something is an improvement or not.
Damn, dude. Have you ridden one? So I guess when they say it will have improvements for offload use it will actually be worse? And how much worse offload could it be than a GS? I wouldn't exactly call the GS "nimble".
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Where did you get that from? Triumph lists EXACTLY the same suspension for both models. If there was a difference, they'd put it on their website ...
Hey, Triumph Master, the internals are set up different. Just like the roadie vs. the XC. Get the shop manual out for the XC or the roadie and it has the info side by side. If you want to call someone out for an argument at least know what the hell your talking about, Boy Genius.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
What it doesn't have is a triple engine.
Power corrupts. The triple is smooth, powerful and sounds terrific. The boxer engine feels a bit agricultural by comparison. For mostly street riding, the engine of the Triumph alone be a reason to recommend it.

That said, the BMW seems to execute a lot of the details better, and seems to be a better off-road choice.
__________________
2013 K1600GT "Coconut"
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666


As long as you can't point out where Triumph actually says the Explorer XC has different suspension than the standard Explorer, I go with the normal Triumph website that lists no differences in suspension between the two.

And for the Roadie vs. the XC - I've never said that these two weren't different. If you're too lazy to read, you shouldn't respond. I said that it's a matter of perspective whether the differences between the XC and the Roadie are improvements over the Roadie. For lots of folks they aren't. And yes, I have ridden one.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,879


Cug, aren't you healed up enough yet to stop ???
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
That said, the BMW seems to execute a lot of the details better, and seems to be a better off-road choice.
I have owned a 2010 R1200GS before I got the Tiger. The GS was quite a lot better made, higher quality than the Tiger is. The Tiger is an awesome bike, but the refinement that the GS has nowadays is very impressive.

The Explorer is probably the more comfortable road bike but I hesitate to even call it the "better" road bike. They are very different in character, but the high CoG on the Explorer and the wide tank (without actually having more fuel) gas tank put me off quite a bit. I find both of them too heavy, but I can see myself on a new GS, but not very likely on an Explorer for many reasons. The engine definitely not being one of them ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
:Cug, aren't you healed up enough yet to stop ???
Nope. At least not if someone is just bullshitting around without saying where the "facts" come from. As soon as he puts on the table where Triumph says that the Explorer XC will have different suspension setup compared to the standard Explorer, I will absolutely apologize for not believing it, but until then - why would I?

So, where does Triumph say that in the current material they have out there? Certainly not here:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...lorer-xc/24370
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer
 
Pacific's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Oddometer: 81
GS vs. Tiger

I had a 2010 GS and loved it. The Explorer is more fun to ride, for me. It is very comfortable on the kind of off-road I would attempt on either of these large motorcycles, though I suspect the new GS will feel better for that purpose. The GS was thousands more than a similarly equipped explorer, and built quality feels comparable to me. The suspension on the GS was superior, and it's nice to adjust it remotely, but this is a matter of degree. I have no complaints about the Explorer suspension. Brakes are excellent on both machines. I was practicing emergency braking today in the wet and loved the Explorer binders. The Triumph is much, much more fun to ride -- for me. I found the GS engine boring -- which is also what made it a good engine for touring. The triple is way, way more entertaining. To me, the attraction of both bikes lies in their versatility. If you do a lot of off-road, then there are better bikes out there for that purpose.
__________________
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit. -- Agustus McRae, Lonesome Dove
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post


As long as you can't point out where Triumph actually says the Explorer XC has different suspension than the standard Explorer, I go with the normal Triumph website that lists no differences in suspension between the two.

And for the Roadie vs. the XC - I've never said that these two weren't different. If you're too lazy to read, you shouldn't respond. I said that it's a matter of perspective whether the differences between the XC and the Roadie are improvements over the Roadie. For lots of folks they aren't. And yes, I have ridden one.
You've ridden what? An Explorer XC that isn't even state side yet? Really? Because that's what we are discussing here. It seems all you do is make confrontational posts wherever you go. Good luck with that.
There is zero argument about the XC suspension vs. the Roadie suspension off road. The Roadie shock doesn't even have a charge canister. The Roadie doesn't have as much suspension travel either. The forks are totally different as well. There is a noticeable difference offload, that is unless you put around with your ass on the seat the entire time at 3 mph on dirt roads.
A far as the Explorer, I seriously doubt the oil volume and oil level in the forks will be the same. I would also bet the farm that the fork valving is different.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
A far as the Explorer, I seriously doubt the oil volume and oil level in the forks will be the same. I would also bet the farm that the fork valving is different.
So you are just bullshitting. I have searched quite a bit and can't find anything official from Triumph claiming that the suspension is different.

You're pulling that out of thin air so far.

And I never ever claimed I rode an Explorer XC. Though I was interested in one a while back, that's why I was so surprised about these new "facts" about different suspension. And only because you would seriously doubt something doesn't make it a fact. It might be that way or it might not be. Come up with a better source than your tea leaves and I might even believe it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So you are just bullshitting. I have searched quite a bit and can't find anything official from Triumph claiming that the suspension is different.

You're pulling that out of thin air so far.

And I never ever claimed I rode an Explorer XC. Though I was interested in one a while back, that's why I was so surprised about these new "facts" about different suspension. And only because you would seriously doubt something doesn't make it a fact. It might be that way or it might not be. Come up with a better source than your tea leaves and I might even believe it.
I could care less what you believe. Is it possible that the suspension will be identical? Sure. Is it probable? No. Why would would create an offload version of a road version and leave the suspension identical inside and out? They haven't been known to follow that train of thought. But we will find out soon enough. And they are not going to list anything about suspension other than travel and fork tube sizes.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I could care less what you believe. Is it possible that the suspension will be identical? Sure. Is it probable? No.
So, calling out that I'm incorrect when I state that the only difference between the Explorer XC and the Explorer is the spoked wheels and accessory parts based on what you think makes sense for Triumph?

If you have said "I think it makes sense to have different suspension components for better off-road riding in there, but Triumph hasn't said so yet", nobody would have said otherwise. But stating your opinion of what makes sense as a fact and being a smartass when I ask where that information comes from, sorry, but that doesn't cut it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, calling out that I'm incorrect when I state that the only difference between the Explorer XC and the Explorer is the spoked wheels and accessory parts based on what you think makes sense for Triumph?

If you have said "I think it makes sense to have different suspension components for better off-road riding in there, but Triumph hasn't said so yet", nobody would have said otherwise. But stating your opinion of what makes sense as a fact and being a smartass when I ask where that information comes from, sorry, but that doesn't cut it.
I could give a rats ass what's cuts it with you and what doesn't. You are the only one on here calling people out and dissecting every minute word or phrase. But then, most people on here have come to expect that from you. You should try to be a little less confrontational with people. There are other ways of getting your point across without becoming a douche.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Okay, last comment from my end: you still haven't backed any fact, you were aggressive when I pointed that out, and you call other people confrontational? Come on. When you're in the Bay Area I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me all evening long how different the suspension on the Explorer XC is ... until then, maybe look at a mirror ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,597
To OP: I've had great experience with Triumph as Customer Service. Triumph has 2 year and unlimited mileage Warranty (for less than $1000 you can get 3 additional years), BMW has 3-year and 36000 miles limited Warranty and extra costs BIG $$$$

We are talking about touring bike, designed to cover thousands of miles, not a recreational dirt bike or a Harley that people trailer to events..

I've had my Explorer since end of May 2012 and today I crossed 18000 miles trouble free miles (8 months)... I'm afraid I'll be near 25K at anniversary...

With BMW, there are two outcomes, either you run out of warranty in less than 2 years, or, on the other hand, it's just boring and you won't want to ride it as much you would the triple powered Explorer...

I am very subjective, so don't listen to me, because I'm riding the BEST adventure motorcycle in the whole world...

Forgot to add. Friend of mine got screwed by BMW - ran out of 36K warranty with more than 6 months left by calendar... His K1300GT is at the shop waiting $12000 for repairs. BMW USA paid the first time about $3000 for clutch repair (disintegrated on downshift), after repairs something went bang inside engine, BMW paid half of $4000 just to take a look inside engine (friend paid $2000 for just labor) and now $12000 quote and BMW said good by... Friend doesn't have bike, owes $12000 and pays $400 monthly loan for another 2 years. And the bike has been in the shop since April 2012


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 07:55 PM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014