ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,004
You might have water (snow) in the north, but nobody else does. The statewide snowpack is only 76% of normal. After the dismal snowpack of last year it is worrisome.

According to the NRCS the Yampa and White river watersheds snowpack is only 77% of normal.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,356
The lack of snow and impending fire danger is depressing.

Let's talk about the bike.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Gracias

Hey ironbrewer,

Thanks for the snow!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 448
Nice! I had one of the first ETS-X's back in 2001 or so, it was a great all-around bike.

COHVCO | Stay The Trail | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #20
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

So I've been looking for a full suspension mountain bike for a while now. I couldn't really afford a good one(if I bought new), and it makes me nervous buying used. I ride XC mostly with a little air here and there. My current ride is a 1999 Schwinn Homegrown. Its a super nice sub 22 lb hardtail.

So I email this guy on craigslist. He has what looks like a 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70. I think great. The earlier years had issues with the main triangle cracking, but they are well regarded in terms of riding. I get an e-mail back saying he bought it in 06 or 07 he doesn't remember. Then says that the frame was replaced under warranttee about 3 to 4 years ago.

Next the random guy on craigslist asks if I'm the Jim O He knows the Jim and Kim one. To that I respond Hey Doug we should do dinner and get the kids together to ride the bike park.

Sweet it makes it better to buy a bike from a friend you know isn't going to screw you around, but it also makes it more difficult to try to degotiate down with your friends wife.

Oh well I think I got a great bike for a great deal.

Gonna take it out for a ride today.

Pat Paulsen
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
Hair
Outside the boxer

I find myself looking at the fat tire bikes. I'm thinking that really fat tire bike would work well on rocky beaches in the PNW. Given that there really isn't a lot of places to ride off road on the sound, riding the beaches has great appeal.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

If you want to ride sand or snow thats the way to go. I'ld like to try one out, but I think the massive rotating weight would put a damper on that for me.

Pat Paulsen
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
You might have water (snow) in the north, but nobody else does. The statewide snowpack is only 76% of normal. After the dismal snowpack of last year it is worrisome.

According to the NRCS the Yampa and White river watersheds snowpack is only 77% of normal.
Jim,
I know the whole state is in need, after last year I know, I got 10% of my normal alfalfa crop. Stock ponds went dry irrigation creeks so low my non senior water rights got shut off. The USGS sampled locations in the Yampa basin show higher numbers than the NRCS, there are more of them and all over the basin. Not just the mountains. The mountains are still below average, the areas out west Maybell and north to Wyoming close to normal. But this snow is not going to help you guys out east. All our excess water goes to California and Arizona. Looks like more snow over here today. MAybe I need to sell a bike and buy a sled that requires less shop time!
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Hair
Outside the boxer

Quote:
If you want to ride sand or snow thats the way to go. I'ld like to try one out, but I think the massive rotating weight would put a damper on that for me.
I've hear that power needed to drive a bike rises exponentially when compared to the speed that you want to go. I spent some time on a fat tire bike list summer. It felt good at about 3/4 the speed that I would normally ride my MBT at.

Your bike really is a nice ride.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Just took it out for a ride at the local bike park. I was going to ride trails, but have to wait for a bit more snow melt. I really like it, but the suspension will take a bit to dial in.

Pat Paulsen
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,583
Seriously? A pedal bike?!?!?! The most I would expect out of that is a heavy frost.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Seriously? A pedal bike?!?!?! The most I would expect out of that is a heavy frost.
Its a nice pedal bike. I'm fat and out of shape. If I can drop 20 or 30 #'s riding it, I'll be ripping it up next year on my motorcycle.

Pretty soon I'll be trying to get those damn motos off our mountain bike trails like 5MOH, slick rock etc. It won't matter that they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for moto's.

Pat Paulsen
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Its a nice pedal bike.

Pretty soon I'll be trying to get those damn motos off our mountain bike trails like 5MOH, slick rock etc. It won't matter that they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for moto's.
Heck yeah! Let's join up and get motorcycles off of places like Slickrock and 5MOH and other similar places that they cause damage!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #29
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Heck yeah! Let's join up and get motorcycles off of places like Slickrock and 5MOH and other similar places that they cause damage!
Yeah, everyone knows that dirtbikes have no place on slickrocks.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Yeah, everyone knows that dirtbikes have no place on slickrocks.

I rode Slickrock on my moto and mtn. bike last night and gave my poor little dog bloody paws......she loved it!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote