Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #46
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 575
Glad you lived and are one the mend , as a kid I remember me and dad were the first people to arrive to where a small car and a large cow met in the road one night , it was a very ugly sight , I think the 2 in the car died . So when it comes to fast food I try to save it for the drive tru . But Ive manage to hit over 10 deer in my life .... maybe closer to 20 so far none on the bike thank god .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #47
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
James- not telling you off at all.I am just using the info you provided.Post 1[We were averaging 70 for 204 miles] [I looked down.I looked around.I looked up and COW ].l looked down is a minimum of one second,I looked around is another second and I looked up is part of another second.You were not looking at the road for around 3 seconds. 66 mph is about 100 feet per second.You went at least the length of a football field without looking at the road.That is my point.
Well not prone to much prose I didn't sequence the events to the T. I'll reiterate with a better scene.
We were trying not to go over 70mph, in some places, mountain passes, villages, uphills, downhills, corners, rough sections, we slowed down as per conditions, after all my wife Colleen was following me on her bike. I looked down at my miles, I looked up at the road, I looked over to the left, I looked back at the road, I looked over to the right, I looked back at the road and there was a COW. Of course there was some inattentiveness or I wouldn't have hit the cow. BUT we were not in a hurry, counting time or miles or speed...EXCEPT... and this is the kicker...we
were low on fuel and that is what was taking my attention........I hate to get low on fuel and it is silly, it can take your mind off the road. It's a good warning to others. Motorcycle riders will know what I mean, when you are low on fuel it can be a major distraction. Next trip we will gas up at the Pemex by Mama Espinozas, but then instead of trying to make it on fumes to the next Pemex we will get fuel from a barrel in Catavina. My mistake. Cost me. $ and great big hurt. I'm typing this from Mexicali right now! Sitting in Dental Felix at 329 De Las Americas, Mexicali, Mexico.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #48
twowheelpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
ouch! glad you are ok and got some pics for us.
twowheelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #49
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
James- not telling you off at all.I am just using the info you provided.Post 1[We were averaging 70 for 204 miles] [I looked down.I looked around.I looked up and COW ].l looked down is a minimum of one second,I looked around is another second and I looked up is part of another second.You were not looking at the road for around 3 seconds. 66 mph is about 100 feet per second.You went at least the length of a football field without looking at the road.That is my point.
now you are starting to act like an I think the OP is quite aware of his transgression and also knows how to do math. So I guess you have never made a mistake
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #50
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
James
I think the best rule is always go for 5 gallons (or nearly 5) from the jugs at Catavina. It's just good insurance down there, as Pemex sometimes runs out, is closed, etc.
Caliente Bodfish and Caliente Creek, which goes around and meets up with Caliente Bodfish in two spots, on the way to Kernville, then on to Camp Nelson, and on to Yosemite, or out Sherman Pass and on to Death Valley are two of my favorites, along the way to anywhere north of Los Angeles, and back.
I don't know how many times I got to the top on Caliente Bodfish in that central valley fog, with visibility of 10 feet. And had cows and bulls appear.
On the road.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #51
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Let start by saying I'm glad you survived this encounter.

Every time I see the title of this thread I want to sing "Well I hit a cow in Baja, just to watch him die."

Sorry, I'm twisted.

Get well soon and get back to riding.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #52
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
Let start by saying I'm glad you survived this encounter.

Every time I see the title of this thread I want to sing "Well I hit a cow in Baja, just to watch him die."

Sorry, I'm twisted.

Get well soon and get back to riding.

I like this

I'm a tad twisted too

Oh and cows are girls
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #53
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Including Texas.
Like the Willow City Loop?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #54
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
My .02......we all have mucked up and paid for it. James is an experienced rider from what I read. He at least has the gumption to say "It's my fault" and doesn't trash the cow, Mexico, the police....the doctors, or who ever else he could think of. AND he has the gonads to get back on a bike and ride some more. Good for you James, lesson learned and I bet you look out for the cows more now than ever. Ride on brotha.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #55
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
My .02......we all have mucked up and paid for it. James is an experienced rider from what I read. He at least has the gumption to say "It's my fault" and doesn't trash the cow, Mexico, the police....the doctors, or who ever else he could think of. AND he has the gonads to get back on a bike and ride some more. Good for you James, lesson learned and I bet you look out for the cows more now than ever. Ride on brotha.
Thanks Man. I feel tingly all over now
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #56
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

The whole north/south jurisdiction is a mystery. The nice cop in Guerro Negro said we must go to San Quintin for a 'liberation'....good...that's on the way home. The cop in San Quintin said he knows nothing, we must go back to Loreto!
Not going to happen. Our driver and truck owner wanted HOME...and I was in so much pain I could care less.
I don't know the jurisdiction I was in but I do know I was about one mile from the Pemex that is about thirty miles north of the Guerro Negro junction. The bike of course is at El Crucero for Bahia de Los Angeles.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #57
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I hate cows.
I love cows... They're delicious!

Glad your ok.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #58
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
no pic of the cow?
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #59
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
It was unavailable to give it's consent to being photographed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Cow dead. Colleen missed the cow pick. It was in the ditch about 60 feet north of the bike! (bike tumbled that far).
I told her it was" in the ditch there" but she missed it in the confusion.

I like cows I just don't eat them (vegetarian since 1969)(gosh darn hippies).

TUCKERS screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 10:28 AM