ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
klondike300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Nw Honda dealers and new bike purchase.

Pretty sure I'm sold on the new Honda CRF-L 250 dual sport.
I have no attachement to any dealers as I've never bought a new bike. Luckily in the NW we have a lot of dealers around. This will be an all cash purchase. I don't really care about the normal sales pitch about service, taking care of owners etc as I have a guy who works on my dirt bikes.
I hate negotiating with all the layers of people they try to make you go through to buy a bike.

I was thinking of getting all the email contacts for the NW Honda dealers and putting them on one email telling them what I want. I.E. new bike, cash purchase, best out the door price wins my business.

You inmates have any ideas on or great dealer stories or pricing to help me out? Purchase time is probably the next 2 months.
klondike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike300 View Post
I don't really care about the normal sales pitch about service, taking care of owners etc as I have a guy who works on my dirt bikes.
I hate negotiating with all the layers of people they try to make you go through to buy a bike.

I was thinking of getting all the email contacts for the NW Honda dealers and putting them on one email telling them what I want. I.E. new bike, cash purchase, best out the door price wins my business.

You inmates have any ideas on or great dealer stories or pricing to help me out? Purchase time is probably the next 2 months.
Unless you're looking for someone here who works at a Honda dealership and can get you a good deal, you've already answered your own question: Whatever dealer gives you the best price, buy from them since once it's out the door you have to ties to the dealer service-wise. Am guessing that you're not going to get much of a discount off of MSRP considering how cheap the bike already is and that it's a new model.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 2,923
Don't know where you live, but in southwest Idaho there is Canyon Honda in Nampa. http://www.canyonhondamotorcycles.com/

They always give me a good price when I am ready to buy. No hassle, simple transaction. I write a check and I'm out of there in probably 20 minutes.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,374
I had a great experience buying a used bike at Everett Powersports. So good that I would highly encourage them. I'd been looking for quite a while before buying and the positive sales experience definately influenced my purchasing decision.

Cheers!
Sean

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Klondike, depending on where you live makes a difference as well. I am not too fond of most dealers around the Seattle area. I bought a Yamaha Super Tenere from a dealer 65 miles away in Cle Elum because the sales guy is also the owner of the dealer. He cares about people, not selling a volume of units. After my experience with him, I sent 5 more guys to buy Tenere's there last year or so.
As for Honda, I recently had a conversation with the owner of a Honda dealer on Lake City Way in Seattle. He has owned for several decades and his business is doing ok. If i had to go and buy one of those new 250L you are inquiring about, I would be walking into that dealer and talking to the owner. For the bike i did buy and for this I am speaking, I don't know what kind of service work they do, but I like talking to the owners and have a great respect to those that like to deal with the customer instead of some snot nosed young punk who doesn't know jack-sh_t about bikes in general.
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
I'm also in the market for the same bike, and have been obsessed with it for a while.

Will you do me a favor and PM me with whatever price you wind up paying? I've heard the bike is very hot, and most dealers can't keep them in stock, but it is worth noting the bike was out reasonably early in 2012 (for a 2013 model) and I've already seen multiple used ones on Craigslist. I could never bring myself to pay MSRP+Fees for a bike because it is 'hot.' I'd rather wait a year.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Danodemotoman
Danodemotoman

Oddometer: 232
My admitted limited experince is that expecting an email response on lowest price will result in ... 'come on in and lets talk'.

[QUOTE=klondike300;20622382]
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodemotoman View Post
My admitted limited experince is that expecting an email response on lowest price will result in ... 'come on in and lets talk'.
I tried this once buying a car, and it was a total failure. It took 3 days before most of the dealers even called me. Some of them never even called me.

I tried it again buying another car recently, and had limited success. I just showed one dealer the emailed quote from another dealer and asked them to beat it.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,180
http://www.searchcraigslist.org/resu...=hond%20cr250l
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Lumberjeff
River City MC

Oddometer: 64
Hinshaws Motorcycle Store in Auburn gets most of my money. They have been selling Honda's since 1961 I think.
Lumberjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
If I was a dealer an e-mail request for cheapest price would go right to the round file.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldx View Post
If I was a dealer an e-mail request for cheapest price would go right to the round file.
That's why you would soon be out of business. There are dealers that for whatever reason are reluctant to embrace the internet to market their products and they are being outsold by dealers who are good at using the internet.
For all you know your best price might be the same as every other dealers best price or even just a little higher. Maybe you are the closest to the buyer though, or have gotten a recommendation from someone. If you don't respond you will most likely have lost a sale, if you do respond you very well could get the sale.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldx View Post
I agree, especially if you respond 1st you always lose because all the keyboard buyer is going to do is take that quote and pin you against another dealer.

IMO the best way to but a bike with no BS is to first find a dealer that has the bike in stock...I can quote you a stupid low number on something I don't have in stock.

Second come up with a reasonable number you want to pay OTD on that bike, reasonable being the key word. If you offer $4000 OTD on a bike that retails for $7000 that is not reasonable and all you are doing is wasting your, and the dealers time.

Third, go into the dealership that has the bike in stock, have a reasonable offer and have cash in hand! Grab a salesman and say I WILL BUY THIS BIKE RIGHT NOW if you will sell it to me for this price, if not I understand and don't want to waste both our time, also have a reason you came up with that price. If they agree to the deal tell the salesman when drawing up the paperwork tell F&I that that is all the cash I have, I want to sign and go.

If they don't take the offer go to another dealership. Buyers are liars and like to waste peoples time in the eyes of a salesman, there are a ton of flakes out there. You show up in person, cash in hand ready to sign and take it right there you are going to get the best deal in my experience.

Also buying towards the end of the month, like the last day of the month 2 hours before closing never hurt
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 878
Why not wait a year or so and buy used? about 30% of people who buy anything new decide against keeping for whatever reason, and on sale they go. A few years ago I bought the yamaha version of that honda for about 60% of new, it had 900 miles on it and the po had changed the oil and filter 3 times already. It looked like it had never been ridden!
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Just for shits and giggles, what do you think is a fair offer out the door is on a motorcycle that retails for $4,499? I'm talking tax, license what you are going to lay down in greenbacks to ride it away and feel good about it?
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote